mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 05-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Phantom Questions---Added 1 More Question

I recently got my first Phantom and I have a few questions:

-The other day, I turned my velocity screw so that it was horizontal. After I shot about 50 rounds, the screw was in a totally different direction. Why is this happening?

-Does a VSC Phantom get less shots than if you ran a dropout changer or regular 12 gram changer out the back?

-With a stock pump handle, will it start to take the paint off the barrel?

-Does a gauge really work? I heard that it just shows when the 12 gram is completely empty.

-Does anyone have any Phantom parts/upgrades for sale?

Ok, one more question:

The TPC is the velocity screw, right? And I still don't understand how locking in the velocity works...

Here's how I think it works: First, you adjust the velocity to what you want (say 280). Then, when it's adjusted, you tighten the nylon screw in so the velocity screw can't move while you shoot. But I heard that you have to put the nylon screw in first, then the TPC. I don't understand this because if the nylon screw goes in before the TPC, then the TPC can't fit in the front bolt.

Last edited by BIG-AL; 05-24-2008 at 05:03 PM.
BIG-AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-AL View Post
-The other day, I turned my velocity screw so that it was horizontal. After I shot about 50 rounds, the screw was in a totally different direction. Why is this happening?
Umm... see Rayodder's post, lol!

Quote:
-Does a VSC Phantom get less shots than if you ran a dropout changer or regular 12 gram changer out the back?
I think it's about the same.

Quote:
-With a stock pump handle, will it start to take the paint off the barrel?
It shouldn't. Phantoms are aluminum and they're usually anodized. You shouldn't notice any significant wear. Maybe over time the anno might get a bit lighter, but that's about it.

Quote:
-Does a gauge really work? I heard that it just shows when the 12 gram is completely empty.
Dunno as I don't have one... somebody?

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?

Last edited by CrazyBoy78; 05-24-2008 at 08:09 PM.
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
1 - Nylon set screw is likely either loose or needs to be replaced

2 - Yes

3 - rub marks are fairly common place with the stock pump I'm not sure if there is a way to prevent them or not. (well I'm sure tehre is but other than a UC I don't know what it is)

4 - my guage is mostly for looks it will tell you when you ahve fired your last decent shot (My Opinion)

5 - I have som misc detent rings (not a full set) and a nylon set screw you can have if you cover my cost to get it to you.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

-There is a little nylon drag screw on the side of the bolt, take the TPC complete out and screw the nylon screw in until it is even with the threads on the inside,than install your TPC, as the TPC goes in, it will cut some groves into the head of the nylon screw and provides enough friction from the TPC for un-treading itself. NEVER turn the nylon screw while the TPC is in the bolt, all you are doing is mashing the nylon screw.

-VSC hardline takes up a bit more volume than the dropout, but it is no more than one shot.
- chances are you will get a new gun before you see the color start to wear out on your barrel.
- Gauges don't give you shot counts.
- Play with it first, there aren't a lot of useful upgrades for a Phantom.

MCB Feedback
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayodder View Post
-There is a little nylon drag screw on the side of the bolt, take the TPC complete out and screw the nylon screw in until it is even with the threads on the inside,than install your TPC, as the TPC goes in, it will cut some groves into the head of the nylon screw and provides enough friction from the TPC for un-treading itself. NEVER turn the nylon screw while the TPC is in the bolt, all you are doing is mashing the nylon screw.

-VSC hardline takes up a bit more volume than the dropout, but it is no more than one shot.
- chances are you will get a new gun before you see the color start to wear out on your barrel.
- Gauges don't give you shot counts.
- Play with it first, there aren't a lot of useful upgrades for a Phantom.

Really? I have always heard that VSC was much more inefficient than back air or dropout. However, I have no practical experience in this with the Phantom as I have always used VSC.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Really? I have always heard that VSC was much more inefficient than back air or dropout. However, I have no practical experience in this with the Phantom as I have always used VSC.
MUCH MORE is such a subjective term my rule of thumb for 12 gram change is count your tubes not your shots, change your cartridge every three tubes of paint, it is easier to remember than counting balls.

MCB Feedback
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Updates with 1 more question.
BIG-AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
From what Rayodder was saying, when you *first* screw in the nylon screw, not all the way, just far enough that it matches up with the existing threads, you *then* screw in the velocity adjuster. Because the plastic is soft-ish, screwing in the metal velocity screw will cut grooves into the plastic, thereby providing enough friction to prevent the velocity screw from loosening.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Gazoo Send a message via MSN to Gazoo Send a message via Yahoo to Gazoo

1 -Follow Ray's advice on the nylon screw. You can always get more set screws, as they are cheaper than a TPC.

2 - Have not noticed myself. If you have a VSC, get a matching HSC (drop out) and try yourself. You'll find changing the 12 easier with a VSC than the HSC, but with practice, you again will not notice the difference.

3 - Anno'd alum will fade or dull, but then again the pump will cover that.

4 - The gauge should start out at max pressure, Lets just say 1000+ psi, and will go down from there. Figure your best math, I figure between 30 to 40 shots, then change.

5 - Lots of online stores have everything you need. Check with odellspaintball.com, wevo.com and best yet, go to phantomonline.com, find what you need, Call Mike and he will get you everything. Hell, I have about everything one could want on a phantom, all in matching anno to boot.

6 - See #1 above.

If you want more info, go to the phantom site The Phantom Owners Group - Index More info than one could want.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you want to set your TPC up with a process that works; one that I have replicated on two phantoms,

Screw the nylon into the bolt the furthest amount it will go, yet still be able to thread the TPC into it with force.

To help you get the idea as it is hard to illustrate,

- if you screw the nylon in TOO far into the bolt, the TPC will not thread itself into the bolt.
- if the nylon isn't far enough, the TPC will slide into the bolt threads easily, and will continue to deviate shot after shot.

- You want the nylon threaded in a fashion that is just shy of rejecting the TPC's input.

It will keep the TPC in place for many months to come.
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI