mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Doesn't help on a phantom. Had one, used it a lot, in the end, bored out freak 11inch won out. Sold the brass.

Brass is simply too heavy for the phantom's usual setup and makes it extremely front heavy. Unless you run a bottomline with a heavy bottle or even backbottle, the balance will be off. It'll slow down your snapshooting and destroy the weight advantage phantoms are known for.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

I don't use the phantoms for it's lightness, i used it because it's has a great owner standing behind a great product, and it's super easy to break down.

A stanless steel'ish alum phantom would be great.

Rainman kit plus brass here i come. hahaha!
EDDAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Gazoo Send a message via MSN to Gazoo Send a message via Yahoo to Gazoo

I got a round body that is threaded for cocker barrels from Have Blue. Fits my J&J straight rifled perfectly.
Shoots like a dream too......
Best brass to have
Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

I found the Palmer Brass barrel to be pretty over-rated.

It's solid, a bit better than most stock barrels (not speaking about phantom stocks) but the increased weight just doesn't justify the improvement.
The Kurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

All you nay-sayers, i'll show you!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDAKA View Post
All you nay-sayers, i'll show you!
Please do!

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to froggy_newb

ill tell you this as an owner of a 13" double ported brass palmer... its not worth the money. I bought my gun used and didn't come with a stock barrel (came with a 16" sp all american) so I blew some money on the brass cause I had nothing better to do. they're nothing special
froggy_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy_newb View Post
ill tell you this as an owner of a 13" double ported brass palmer... its not worth the money. I bought my gun used and didn't come with a stock barrel (came with a 16" sp all american) so I blew some money on the brass cause I had nothing better to do. they're nothing special
EDD sad
Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

I have a single ported 11 inch PPS brass barrel on my "Scenario" phantom.

I find that the barrel is a quality piece.

I find it better than the stock barrel for the following reasons:

1: At .685 i don't have to worry about roll outs with most paint i have encountered.

2: I have yet to find paint that wont stuff inside and fire. Case in point, I had some brass eagle from 1998 in a pod and I fired the whole shebang of 200 rounds through the barrel. The paint was beyond crap. Severe dimples and completely out of round. Many rounds had "point" swelling where an eraserhead sized portion was pushing out of the round shape. It fired without breaks. I do believe this is to be attributed to the slickness of brass against gelatin.

3: Sound signature: Single porting is extremely quiet. Remarkable difference compared to the stock barrel. Im sure a ceramic is also quiet, but MANNS test revealed PPS barrels (duel ported) to be the quietest setup tested. My barrel is really quiet.

4: Very forgiving on paint choice. My scenario gun is also my get out and play gun. No need to worry about sizing paint, my brass barrel is a good piece that allows me to forget the fine tuning and just shoot paint. I sighted in a red dot at 25 yards and the barrel gets mask sized groupings. Very exciting marker.

Now the stock barrel *is* plenty good. I didn't find it to be as forgiving on my paint choice though. The same 98 brass eagle paint broke several times through my stock barrel in my drop out phantom. Not scientific, but the pps suprised me with its forgiving nature of the bad paint.

Technically the PPS and the Stock barrel are probably just as accurate, but meh i am happy with my purchase.

This gun concerns itself not with weight.

Lothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Do you think underboring will present a problem with PPS barrels? Most of the paint where I live is around .688 and bigger. Getting a .690 brass barrel would be like buying any other barrel (in my case, at least). A .685 will stop those pesky rollouts, but it might be too small and cause breaks. But, from your experience, Lothen, it shouldn't be a problem.
aheg1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI