mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Castro #66

Well, while we're aware of all of these issues and concerns (at least I was, J0UN1N may have learned something) there's no reason not to tweak the setup for the sake of our own interest. In fact, the reason I became interested in doing it is partially due to the fact that so many people seem to blindly put the idea down.

TRUST
TRUSTER
Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzzy View Post
You most certainly can re-spring a Phantom and add a regulator. I might go a different route than a Bob Long though.
I got one, and I ain't gonna buy another one... And I got me a Dye Throttle...

Virginia Military Institute Paintball Club ACIC

Feedback 4+/0-
xmodfreak2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Castro #66

Throttle's are nice, but their newer reg seems to be welded on... which makes maintainence or replacement extremely difficult.

I use a DYE tank with a Myth reg when I'm actually shooting with a full size HPA tank.

TRUST
TRUSTER
Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

So is this stab setup/tuned for phantoms, or is it just a regular stab in a body made for phantoms.
Phantom Stabilizer Kit [PPSP007] - $145.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop!, Where Custom Still Means Something
Judge Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

looks to me like it sticks out the back...

Virginia Military Institute Paintball Club ACIC

Feedback 4+/0-
xmodfreak2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Yes it replaces the back body and it will work with the stock hardline on a VSC, I was just wondering if the actual reg part of it functioned better than a standard stab reg.

I have a male stab that I could use on my back bottle phantom, but I was curious if there was any performance part of this design that would make it better for the phantom

Besides the body design I was wondering if this stab was designed to work with phantoms in ways a stock stab does not. I doubt it is, just not alot of info there and after reading this thread I was wondering why Palmers made a reg for a gun that apparently doesnt gain much using regulated CO2 over unregulated
Judge Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodfreak2011 View Post
looks to me like it sticks out the back...
edit: opps different Stab this one does replace the valve body my setup was a Sideline Stabilizer.

It hangs off the side and sticks a little out the back. This is how I had my last Phantom setup.

Though a reg is not necessary on a Phantom I found I really liked the setup. With the reg I was able to spring the Phantom for a real nice pump stroke and get rid of the annoying plastic set screw. Which I replaced with a metal set screw and some locktite to lock down the down the barrel adjustment as far out as possible. I utilized the Stab to adjust velocity which once set was very infrequent. Since I used a 16 oz bottle w/antisiphon on a bottom line setup going through the vertical ASA I got great results and no longer had to deal with a tuning rod down the barrel or have to remove the barrel and use a flat head to adjust velocity. Instead I used the same allen wrench I used for my other paintgun's regs.

I say well worth the money spent on the setup but then I'm one of those people who does not nickle and dime his hobbies. If I want to do something that improves the setup for ME I go ahead and do it, it's my gun and my hobby

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB

Last edited by Grendel; 12-12-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #28 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Parker View Post
Yes it replaces the back body and it will work with the stock hardline on a VSC, I was just wondering if the actual reg part of it functioned better than a standard stab reg.

I have a male stab that I could use on my back bottle phantom, but I was curious if there was any performance part of this design that would make it better for the phantom

Besides the body design I was wondering if this stab was designed to work with phantoms in ways a stock stab does not. I doubt it is, just not alot of info there and after reading this thread I was wondering why Palmers made a reg for a gun that apparently doesnt gain much using regulated CO2 over unregulated
I have a Phantom Stabilizer and it sticks out about as far back as the 15 round tube, so if you're using a 15 round feed which doesn't bother you, neither will this regulator. Performance-wise, from my experience, it has no advantage over any other Stabilizer set up aside from personal preference and aesthetics.

P.S. I also had to slightly trim off some of my hardline to make it fit.

Last edited by jlagman; 12-13-2008 at 12:31 AM.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

I like the idea of adding a reg to a phantom.

Has anyone experimented with reducing the internal volume of a reg? The old WGP regs are very tiny, but there is a large open airspace between the reg and the ASA. If you could do something to shorten the reg, that would be perfect.

Also, most regs (WGP for sure, palmer too I think) act as a check valve, so you are only losing the volume on the first 12ie, then as long as you switch before you are completely out of air, you only lose the volume between the reg and the 12ie changer.

Edit - Palmer regs do not appear to act as a check valve. The old WGPs do though.

w0se

Last edited by woodwose; 12-27-2008 at 08:31 PM.
woodwose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

According to the phase diagram for co2, co2 is good for 600psi at a little over 40F. If a Phantom can be sprung to work well at 600psi, then you could set your reg at that, and have a phantom that is unaffected by temperature. Right?

I just took advatage of Palmer's sale to get a male Stabilizer for $60.

Here is my setup:

More info tomorrow when I chrono it and whatnot. I thought I had a gauge to be able to set it to 600psi, but my gauge only goes to 500psi. Doh! The Palmer's site says that the reg is preset to 500psi and one turn is 100psi, so at least I can get close until I have a gauge that will work.

Oh, and that is a vert feed body with the old Winnie hopper slid over the feedneck (heat it up a little) and held in place by a clamp cut off of an old elbow. It's about an inch lower than a side feed with a 45 degree feedneck.

w0se

Last edited by woodwose; 12-28-2008 at 01:42 PM.
woodwose is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI