mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheg1220 View Post
Like others said, your velocity was probably waaaaaaaay high for it to shoot inconsistently, especially with a matched bore. You should be able to tell by how loud the gun is, and how fast the paintball reaches the tree. If it was really loud, try turning down the velocity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
what aheg1220 said Like others said, your velocity was probably waaaaaaaay high for it to shoot inconsistently, especially with a matched bore. You should be able to tell by how loud the gun is, and how fast the paintball reaches the tree. If it was really loud, try turning down the velocity. also might want to change spring too. some time different springs work better then other if have HPA tank might want get right spring for it.
Just get a chrono or go to your field/store and use theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookilar View Post
Knowing what the winter can be like out in Winterpeg and area, I feel your pain my friend. It's been surprising cold down here this winter. Almost think I was back in Edmonton .

Unless you're in the middle of a brisk -40* stretch, you'd be able to get quite a few shots off before it starts to turn liquid on you. Should be enough to get some groupings anyway.

Are you close to the Peg? Paradise used to have an indoor field ... can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Pumping on a walk-on day will quickly get your skills up

Wook
Very true. Liquid does not really do any harm to Phantom internals anyways so you should be fine. Play with springs if you have to (you almost certainly will). If you cannot get good results from HPA I would look into a siphon tank if it is not too much effort on your part. A friend of mine ran a vertical 7 oz siphon for years (nearly a decade if I remember correctly) to great effect. He did break one powertube in that whole time, which may or may not have been the liquid (he was autotriggering like crazy at the time).
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Hasn't been said (well it oculd have been and I missed it).. Phantom's like high input pressure... none of the is LP nonsense that e-guns like. 800 psi and they are really happy.

As to break in.... out of the box and they can be happy. Sometimes you just need to pull them apart and give them a good cleaning, maybe it got gummed up sitting for a while, but otherwise, I've never had a new or used phantom perform poorly.. only me.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookilar View Post
Knowing what the winter can be like out in Winterpeg and area, I feel your pain my friend. It's been surprising cold down here this winter. Almost think I was back in Edmonton .

Unless you're in the middle of a brisk -40* stretch, you'd be able to get quite a few shots off before it starts to turn liquid on you. Should be enough to get some groupings anyway.

Are you close to the Peg? Paradise used to have an indoor field ... can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Pumping on a walk-on day will quickly get your skills up

Wook
I live right in Winnipeg, and Paradise now has two indoor fields. I have a hand chrono and some 12 grams so I will test it next week. If C02 is gives better performance, then I guess I'm springing for a 12 oz. tank.

Indoor testing can be done in my basement thanks to cushions and reballs!
drewkroeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewkroeker View Post
I live right in Winnipeg, and Paradise now has two indoor fields. I have a hand chrono and some 12 grams so I will test it next week. If C02 is gives better performance, then I guess I'm springing for a 12 oz. tank.

Indoor testing can be done in my basement thanks to cushions and reballs!
It generally does. Unless you REALLY like tinkering and have money to spare, HPA and regulators are not needed on Phantoms. I am buying an HPA tank for my Mag, and I got a PPS stab for Christmas, so I am going to *try* to see what HPA can do on a Phantom, but I would never spend the money to do so.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Today I tried using 12grams on my phantom. Problem solved! I have not chrono'd it but the shot groupings are much tighter and the balls are going where I want them to. Thanks for the advice guys!

Looks like I will have to pick up a stock class harness and some tubes.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

You probably just had too weak of springs or not enough input pressure for the HPA. Glad you got the problem resolved
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hoarder not Whore

I've never fired a phantom but from what I hear about them around here I doubt its the gun. probably poor quality paint or inconsistant pressure making the gun function poorly.

It could also be the tree. Did you expect it to just stand there and take round after round without flinching?! It was probably dodging and weaving in a valiant attempt to avoid your incoming rounds.

I could also be INSANE!

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Dave-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Sasquatchian

I have to agree with what has been stated already. I would look somewhere other than the gun for the problem. I bought one a few years back that had been stored with broken paint in the barrel, bolt and hammer area for 5+ years. Disassembled, cleaned and fired like a brand new gun.

My guess is the input pressure, as well. Stick a 3.5 or 4 oz on the vertical and see how it likes that.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
i put a reg on my phantom (i sin i'm sure) and i was getting incredible consistency (+1 fps over nominal 275 over a 20 shot string) check the consistency of your tanks output pressure. that's my guess to your problem as i had the same thing going on when i used HPA with out a inline HPR.
i didn't even have to respring mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
thats why i bring my own balls. and if they dont play nice, i play with myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Mar, I want to fondle your wood.
Zapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

QUOTE: You probably just had too weak of springs or not enough input pressure for the HPA. Glad you got the problem resolved

I have a spring kit with a red, a blue, and a silver spring in addition to the spring that came stock. Would one of these do the trick if I wanted to try compressed air again? My tank's output pressure is 800 psi, I think. What pressure does unreg'd co2 have? I am a little confused. Does a normal compressed air tank have too much flow restriction (ie buy an AGD flatline so I can increase pressure) or to much flow (ie buy a regulator)?

QUOTE: It could also be the tree. Did you expect it to just stand there and take round after round without flinching?! It was probably dodging and weaving in a valiant attempt to avoid your incoming rounds.

Yes, that could have been it, but now that I'm using co2 and I have some consistency, all the efforts of the tree to dodge my paintballs will be in vain!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI