mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 02-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Break in period on a phantom

Last year I bought a new phantom, but thanks to my mags, it has not seen much use. I just test fired it now and the shot pattern is inconsistent; it always has been. I was using a freak barrel with the correct insert and a 68 ci tank on the back bottle adapter. I was shooting at a tree about 35 feet away. It is usable; I know I could play with it if I get close and bunker my opponents (and I have done just that on one occasion ) but for one shot kills at any significant distance it is inconsistent. I am much more accurate with my mags.

The marker has less than a case through it, probably less than 500. How long or how many shots does it take for a phantom to be broken in?

Thanks,

Drew
drewkroeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official DSG Fanboy

I would be checking your barrel first for irregularities before anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr View Post
"So there I was, sitting at the keyboard one handed, and I said to myself, 'that really looks like you're wife'..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Thing's lucky it scampered off because I would have skulled it to death if I'd managed to get my hands on it.
Moosepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

if you have eliminated all the non gun variables like paint match,paint quality,barrel quality etc.

search for threads here and on phog about HPA issues with phantoms,some people report inconsistant velocitys,wich would mean poor accuracy,contanct cci about the HPA specific valve spring,also there is a degree of personal adjustment between guns and getting used to them if you havent logged much trigger time it may come down to just adapting to the feel

cheers
Gogged_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Your Phantom should be shooting darts from the moment you open the box. The breaking in of the gun generally (in my experience) only affects the smoothness of your pump stroke and your trigger pull (possibly efficiency, that is anecdotal).

As said before, check your barrel first. Actually, what velocity are you shooting at? Phantoms like 275 fps. Then look at your paint, then try CO2 if you can.

Honestly, no one should be unhappy with a Phantom (the way they shoot, I know some people don't like the lack of weight), they are a solid product. Come back with your findings and between the lot of us we will get it shooting fine (I hope).
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
You'd need more than a bag to truly break it in. Maybe a case or more.

Methinks you just need more practice. Pump isn't easy to learn, and going from your Mag to a light Phantom can be a little odd.

Also, try CO2. Phantoms were designed to run on CO2, and I think they like it better.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Machinist in training

Send a message via Yahoo to slowerpig81

Well if it's not accurate breaking it in will have no effect. That's your barrel and paint. As for breaking in, I'd probably say a bag as well.

And as for velocity, I'd say from my experience it doesn't matter. I get great accuracy from my 14" barrel if I'm shooting 280, or near 300. Even when I'm at the chrono, and when the gun is hot (remember, before I change it to the limit and play) it still shoots straight.
slowerpig81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Like others said, your velocity was probably waaaaaaaay high for it to shoot inconsistently, especially with a matched bore. You should be able to tell by how loud the gun is, and how fast the paintball reaches the tree. If it was really loud, try turning down the velocity.
aheg1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

what aheg1220 said Like others said, your velocity was probably waaaaaaaay high for it to shoot inconsistently, especially with a matched bore. You should be able to tell by how loud the gun is, and how fast the paintball reaches the tree. If it was really loud, try turning down the velocity. also might want to change spring too. some time different springs work better then other if have HPA tank might want get right spring for it.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys, I now have some ideas on how to get it shooting consistently. I have a freak on it and I'm pretty sure I sized the paint correctly. I will try CO2 but that will have to wait as Manitoba winter would definitely things up. I just really prefer compressed air if it would work.

And yes, all other variables aside, I do need some practice.
drewkroeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Knowing what the winter can be like out in Winterpeg and area, I feel your pain my friend. It's been surprising cold down here this winter. Almost think I was back in Edmonton .

Unless you're in the middle of a brisk -40* stretch, you'd be able to get quite a few shots off before it starts to turn liquid on you. Should be enough to get some groupings anyway.

Are you close to the Peg? Paradise used to have an indoor field ... can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Pumping on a walk-on day will quickly get your skills up

Wook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Dude I'll be 42 next month the only movement i'll be joining is in the crapper.
Wookilar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI