mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

harder or softer springs

im looking at getting the aftermarket spring kit and was wondering what are the pros and cons of the harder spring and of the softer spring. i had heard that the harder spring gives you better air efficiency but im not sure on that. any help would be great thanks
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Depends on wether its a mainspring or a valve spring.
Harder mainspring= higher velocity.
Lighter mainspring= lower velocity.
Harder valvespring= lower velocity + more efficiency.
Lighter valvespring= higher velocity + less effieciency.

Mainsprings are mainly changed to keep velocity in the range of the TPC.
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
1996XJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

and where do you get valve springs ive only seen the mainsprings at wevo
also if i put a harder mainspring in wouldnt i be able to turn down my velocity effectively using less air meaning more velocity? im just spitballing im not sure on this stuff
Old 06-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Harder main spring with stock valve spring will only decrease efficiency, the harder spring keeps the weaker valve open longer using more gas.

Best bet for better efficiency is a weaker main spring and a stronger valve spring. Remember the main spring controls how hard the hammer hits the valve, the weaker that is and the stronger the valve spring is, the shorter the valve will be open and less gas will be used. But it will take some fine tuning to get the best results. Also keep in mind that without keeping velocity in the 270-280 range and a tight paint-barrel match, the improvements made from respringing will be undermine.

I hear that the maddmann autococker spring kits will work for nelsons/phantoms but you might have to trim the valve springs. Also, wevo is down and no longer taking orders.
Jackal01400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'm a little old school in that I feel springs are mainly for adjusting velocity when the TPC just isn't enough. If it's cold, I toss in a stiff mainspring; hot, soft. You can do it to figure out what the most efficient setup is for your marker, but be sure to test it. Use a chrono and count your usable shots with different springs, then choose what's best with your marker.

Efficiency depends on a bunch of things, but the rules of thumb I know of are that the Phantom likes an 11" barrel and 280 fps. Might make a good baseline for testing.
Wolfeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01400 View Post
Harder main spring with stock valve spring will only decrease efficiency, the harder spring keeps the weaker valve open longer using more gas.
The mainspring isnt under tension so its not going to keep the valve open longer than a lighter spring chronoed with the TPC to the same FPS.

The valve is under constant tension from the spring so the valve spring can affect effiency.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

whats the best way then to change the valve springs ive heard people saying to get some cocker valve springs and cut them to the length im assuming no one makes a valve spring kit then anymore? also wouldnt having a harder main spring allow you to set your tpc lower which would require less air to run effectively increasing efficiency?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

By using the TPC to adjust your simply countering the spring tension o equal that of the original one. If you adjust the TPC so the marker fires at the same FPS as it did with the old spring then the hammer will be hitting the valve with the SAME amount of force as before.

Whatever mainspring you use the hammer will still have to use the same force to chrono at say 280. So no matter which spring you use the hammer will still be traveling the same speed after you adjust the TPC, if it is in the range of the TPC.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

should be no reason to change the spring unless it tension not what should be. also each spring works for different things got 2 for co2 and other are for hpa. also based on altitude also since live in area where higher then sea leave could come in play base on how cold it out side too.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

so where then do you get softer valve spring

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI