mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Its loose

Ive got a phantom and it keeps coming loose , the thumb screws come loose all the time while playing , the sc feed tube come loose while playing its starting to really bother me. Ive gone as far as lock-titeing the screws. Can i send this back to cci and get the threads repaired or threaded coils put in ?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

There are threaded inserts in the body already for the frame screws. Are you sure you have the correct length screws in the right holes. the frame screws are not the same length between front and back. Not sure why your feed tube keeps coming loose unless that's got the wrong diameter/thread screw in it or it's also too short.

If you are still having trouble with this in November... come play at the HEP BAstogne game (Nov 22) and I will take a look at it for you.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
There are threaded inserts in the body already for the frame screws. Are you sure you have the correct length screws in the right holes. the frame screws are not the same length between front and back. Not sure why your feed tube keeps coming loose unless that's got the wrong diameter/thread screw in it or it's also too short.

If you are still having trouble with this in November... come play at the HEP BAstogne game (Nov 22) and I will take a look at it for you.

E
Thanks, I know the screws are in the right places, I bought it used and I think the guy I bought it from did some funny things with it. Ill get a hold of CCI and see what Mike has to say.. I know ASP sells the inserts but I don't know how much of a pain in the *** they are to put in.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Probably a pain as I don't know how easy they would be to get them out. But yeah, give Mike a call. Worse comes to worse maybe he can give you some pointers.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Double-check your screws. There's 2 kinds: ones with rubber and ones without. The ones with rubber hold much MUCH better than the ones without (which are the older style).

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Yes, use the rubber insert type screws, and use an allen key (3/32" I think) to snug them up. Finger tight is often not good enough.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Machinist in training

Send a message via Yahoo to slowerpig81

Finger tight (well, my finger tight) is good enough for the screws with the o-rings to keep them tight, but the breech and valve still have a little wiggle room. Not a problem for me, but if you want you can use the hex wrench to really get them tight. I don't do this though so I can still take it apart on the field in case I get a mess in the breech.

Feedback/Avvy by Tessa Schrader
slowerpig81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Damage Inc.

After owning about 30+ different Phantoms I only came across the same problem recently. I had one body that just wouldn't stay tight (no wiggle) regardless of the screws or grip frame that I used...It must have been the body. I've owned at least 6 unibodies with era correct screws and they never had body wiggle. I would though always test the screws mid game and between games for tightness. It became a habit 15 years ago while playing with SI's and Reblines. There weren't any o-rings in the screws back then that I can recall....was the Mike's idea? If so, genius!

I agree that calling Mike at CCI is the best way to go.

Good luck and I hope you get it worked out.

Jeffrey

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI