mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCI (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/)
-   -   Cocker barrels and a duckslide? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/96547-cocker-barrels-duckslide.html)

tiny 10-23-2009 04:49 PM

Cocker barrels and a duckslide?

So I recently bought a duckslide phantom and a titanium longbow kit...I now have a severe urge to juxtapose the two. I'm going to be picking up a blockhead but before I order everything, will there be an issue with the cocker barrels in a duckslide due to the larger diameter?

On a side note is the blockhead my only option for cocker threading my phantom?

Lt. head-shot 10-24-2009 05:05 AM

well the blockhead will need to be milled in order to even fit the duckslide kit. The kit is made to fit the CCI bodies very well. If you are able to mill the body down to CCI specs, then it should fit. I would also look at the "roundhead" bodies (just the already rounded version of the blockhead). It might serve you better.

The barrels will have to have smaller than a 7/8 inch barrel OD. thats what the CCI barrels are, and thats what the kit is fitted to.

battlechaser 10-24-2009 10:27 PM

I spoke with HaveBlue of ASP the other day, the "Roundhead" body is what you're looking for, he has some in progress, but a machine conked out on him, so he's awaiting repair before he can continue. So they ARE coming... eventually. :D

skx762 10-25-2009 07:23 AM

Tiny, PM sent.

tiny 10-25-2009 12:45 PM

Sent you a PM back. Well guys thanks for your help. I geuss I'm just going to buy one and see what happens. All else fails I'll be "stuck" with 2 very nice phantoms :rolleyes:

tiny 10-25-2009 05:45 PM

Well, I suppose now I just need to figure out the OD of a longbow barrel back...

tiny 10-25-2009 06:52 PM

So I've actually been doing some thinking and I think I'm going to do three things as it stands right now.

1) The duckslide kit can only support a barrel that has an OD of 0.875", the longbow back has a maximum OD of 0.952". I'm going to have someone remove a bit of metal from the duckslide kit to accommodate the larger OD on the longbow.

2) The duckslide kit only conceals a barrel up to 6" in length. The shortest length tip available for the longbow barrel is 12", I'm going to have someone make a tip to keep the overall length at 6".

3) Finally, I was thinking about buying a roundhead...but instead I think what I'm going to do is have a Blockhead milled down to fit the kit. While this is being done I'm going to see if it's possible to have grooves milled into either side of the body so that I can place bearings in them and allow the duckslide to move on these instead of directly on the metal. Hopefully this will also remove that little bit of wobble.

I think this may be a bit much...but if I can get it done it should be fun...

taz22 10-25-2009 08:50 PM

my advise. don't mess with the body. just let someone turn down the OD of the longbow back to .875 and ask if he wants to remove a little bit of the existing tip so you will get a 6" barrel.

gr

tiny 10-26-2009 10:38 AM

The longbow backs are titanium and about 4 inches long so . So a 10" or so tip is quite a bit of work. You may be on to something though, If I can get my hands on an extra tip I may go that route. Cutting it down and porting it will most likely be cheaper than pure fabrication...not to mention it will fit well guaranteed. I doubt I'd be able to have the bore turned down though.

taz22 10-26-2009 12:25 PM

turning down the OD is very easy (every machinist can do this) what i dit with my barrel was just clamped my barel between 2 centers then turned the OD down small steps at a time.

gr