mcarterbrown.com

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Another CCM pump story

I'm sure all of us CCM pump owners have experienced this, but I needed to post this to let Mel and her crew know how much I appreciate the Series 6 they made for me earlier this year. Link to earlier pics of the marker:

Series 6 new pics

Did a day of play at Wasaga Beach Paintball, combined with first careful walking of every field. This is in anticipation of the their Big Game coming up in August. For those of you who've played at this Ontario field, you won't be surprised the field walking alone took up two and half hours of the morning. Wasaga is a huge field.

By the time I was ready to play, it was nearly noon. Since my CCM Series 6 is still relatively new to me, I've been bringing along a semi as a back-up in case I got overwhelmed, still not having the confidence in my pump skills. But today, I decided, Screw it, one marker only, the CCM pump by itself.

The Walk-On group was 40 strong (reaching over 70 by the end of the day) by noon. Other than my friend who was sporting a stock class Phantom, no else had pumps. A few rentals, but most were gun owners, with the usual mix of mid- to high-priced electro's, Tippmann's with a ton of mil-sim bolt-ons, and even one magazine-fed marker (Milsig Elite).

First game I played on that day is the Ridge Runner field. Nasty, steep terrain, especially for an old guy like me (I'm pushing 50, and only re-started paintball play last autumn after four years off). Whistle blows, I end up in point position. Yeah, I know, crazy position for a pump player in a field full of semi's, but it used to be my old tournament position, so what the heck.

I'm in a bunker, centre, point, with another player who has a semi. The usual high volume in the opening 30 seconds. Once the opposing team realized we were in this forward bunker, they started hitting our bunker with a few hundred balls (oh, really effective). I just relax and sit behind the bunker. My poor companion is starting to get ansty and decides to fire back early in the game. He hangs out a little too long with his semi, and inevitably gets shot.

More attrition, the opposing team begins to advance. At this stage, about five minutes into the game, they've forgotten about me. Right-hand side, pop out for one shot - I hit their back player in the goggles.

Left-hand side, one of their aggressive players is advancing, doesn't know I'm there, and I pop out for another single shot - he's gone. Back under cover. My teammates begin to wear down their mid-players now. Another sixty seconds goes by, and all of sudden, the tables are turned and we're pushing.

Two guys left, up on the steep ridge. Because I was out front in the first place, I'm leading the charge up hill. Predictably, I cramp on the hill (I really hate getting old), but I'm already committed so I keep running. Centre hill, I bunker their cover man. Their last guy is just over the ridge, and I manage to shoot him as well. Four individual kills for me, game over.

Since I received my Series 6 back in February, I've been a bit tentative with it in play, and my results reflected that lack of commitment. But today, without my own semi's as a crutch, it all came together. No fear of using a pump in a semi-world, back to playing point even with a technologically more "primitive" marker (pump instead of semi), using patience and snap-shooting. I've become effective again, after four years of being out of the game.

This is all a long-winded way of saying how much the CCM Series 6 lived up to its hype and performance. With only one shot available (I only ever use the AT when I'm covering my teammates), I could only do single snap shots. But thanks to its relatively flat trajectory, it was easy to estimate angle and get the ball on target the majority of the time. The pumping was silky smooth and effortless. I used to have sore arms from pumping a couple of old, factory Sniper II's. But the lack of resistance, even with the return spring, made the CCM easy to pump and operate.

With an HPA tank on it, it wasn't as light as my friend's stock class Phantom. But it's still lighter than everyone elses semi set-ups. 50 round non-motorized Winchester hopper, two 50-round APP pods in a mini pack, makes for a nice, light package. In five hours of play, I went through 500 rounds total, which is one-quarter of what I used to burn through when I play with a semi.

In between games while checking the marker, I had a couple of roll-outs, even with the tightest sizer, due to today's ridiculously shrinking paint diameter. But even with that, it didn't have a significant impact on the CCM's field performance. If ball roll-out becomes an issue in the future, I'll get one of the new, ultra-tight barrels for it, but with that one exception, there's absolutely nothing else I would add to my Series 6.

Mel, as always, thanks for this amazing pump. Best thing I've ever bought for paintball.
fixedwheelrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedwheelrider View Post
Mel, as always, thanks for this amazing pump. Best thing I've ever bought for paintball.
Speak the gospel my brother!
SBPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBPA5 View Post
Speak the gospel my brother!
Gospel is right! That day was a revelation. What a marker!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
You will not need a backup gun if your bringing an S6 w/ you. I absolutely love my S6, shot it a couple weeks ago w/ some great Marbilizer paint, and was nailing people all day long. The paint was shooting so well, I actually brought about 300 rounds home w/ me from a 500 rnd bag, when good paint is being shot from a great gun, those magic shots happen a LOT. Keep trusting in your S6 and you will have many more game days like that. I love eliminating the entire oposing team w/ a pump gun, its a great feeling.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
The paint was shooting so well, I actually brought about 300 rounds home w/ me from a 500 rnd bag, when good paint is being shot from a great gun, those magic shots happen a LOT.
That's about the same for me, if I don't count the paint used when I covered other players using my AT (can't always play point and hog all the glory!).

Field paint was acceptable, but interestingly, about mid-afternoon, all of us were getting bounces for about an hour. I think it was a change in humidity during that hour. So that was probably another 50-pod of ineffective paint right there.

And you're right, no back-up needed when running an S6. CCM will be both the main and only marker I bring from now on.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
STICKERS!

Send a message via MSN to Ryantuomi

CCM Fan
CCM now makes smaller sizers as well so you can size up that silly small paint.

Ryantuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
CCM now makes smaller sizers as well so you can size up that silly small paint.
Hi Ryantuomi;

I was using the smallest sizer in the CCM kit of five sizers. I think it's the .679, I'll have to check.

Are the smaller sizes you're referring to the .677 and .675 that I just saw on their eBay site? If those are new since January, I'm calling Mel!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
STICKERS!

Send a message via MSN to Ryantuomi

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedwheelrider View Post
Hi Ryantuomi;

I was using the smallest sizer in the CCM kit of five sizers. I think it's the .679, I'll have to check.

Are the smaller sizes you're referring to the .677 and .675 that I just saw on their eBay site? If those are new since January, I'm calling Mel!
yes sir

Those .677 and .675 are new.

Ryantuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Those are the new sizers. I will be needing them as I had some rollouts from my 679 a while back. Mel will get them to you fast, if you order today they will definetly be there by the weekend as long as you don't want a custom color.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys!

A decade ago, I would've never imagined I'd need barrel constrictors this small. Back then, .687 was considered "small". .675 wasn't even on the radar.

Last edited by fixedwheelrider; 06-28-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Grammar

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM