mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
Works history questions

So I've had a works for awhile now, works are definaely my favorite cocker/sniper body style and I always keep aneye out for them in the bst.

Collection of Autocockers

So above is a link containing some great examples but also raises a few questions I've had about works cockers for awhile that I hope the good folks here who know the history behind them can answer as it will help me with restoring mine back to factory condition.

-I've noticed the difference in milling on works previously, one type tends to have bottom tube milling that has longer/straighter cuts and p-blocks. Others have smaller oval milling on the bottom tube, traditional flat back blocks, and seem more likely to have the works "w" engraved behind the barrel. Wich body style is earlier?

-every Merlin works I've seen has the p-blocks and the longer/straighter lower tube milling. However, mine isn't a Merlin but is that style, what's the deal?

-I've seen slider frames marked "works", hinge frames with the "w", and ccm hinge frames. which frames are associated with which body type?

-I also see two types of bolts and cocking rods. What I believe to be the older ones are ribbed on the back while what I believe to be the newer ones look like more contemporary ccm bolts and cocking rods. Are the newer looking ones stock or have they in many cases been added post-purchase?

Thanks!

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

if I could add one more question .....
at what point were Xcel barrels used instead of the works barrels?

Last edited by Triemferent; 01-26-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Triemferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The longer straiter lower tube milling is commonly refered to as the "pill" milling and these were the older ones. Below is a pic of my old work and the cocking rod that is pictured is the newer style one aswell but I have a ccm bolt in there.

they made the P-blocks in the older and newer styles as well as the normal backblock in bost styles aswell.
dont quote me on it but i believe that mine was a 2002 or 2003 and the other pill style were 2000 and earlier

Some of the works did use merlin extrusions and some also had merlin feednecks but most of the feednecks were angel threaded

they made works slider frames for the older pill style and i believe for the newer style as well but the hinge (they are really called swing) frames are only for the newer style

WTB Eclipse F1 cocker or any undrilled eclipse bodies

ryanhall41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to chillinspyder2

CCM Fan
Also want to tack on a question. I've noticed alot of the Works I own use Sonic LPRs. Did those come stock, or did alot of people just decide that Sonic LPRs were a better replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker-Monkey View Post
The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse would be pretending I am not excited.
MCB Feedback.
Old Feedback + New Feedback
chillinspyder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinspyder2 View Post
Also want to tack on a question. I've noticed alot of the Works I own use Sonic LPRs. Did those come stock, or did alot of people just decide that Sonic LPRs were a better replacement?
From what I've found, a lot of people say that they used to use sonic lpr's and gladiator pr's before switching over to their own.

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
HI = A Pumper's Paradise

Send a message via AIM to 808raoul

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinspyder2 View Post
I was wondering this as well. The Mini Works Merlin I picked up had a Sonic LPR and I noticed that others had Macdev LPRs on them as well.Not so much the Glads though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongbloke View Post
From what I've found, a lot of people say that they used to use sonic lpr's and gladiator pr's before switching over to their own.
Good to know.

Anybody gots to sell:
-Line SI Bushmaster Pointman handle
-Racegun Halfblock Backblock (newer ver.)
808raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Correct, first round of Words had Merlin bodies slide grip frame with solid trigger plate, Gladiator reg, Sonic LPR, STO ram, and CCM 3-way. Barrels were clear polished, and not matched. Later, the slide trigger plate became milled, barrel matched the body, and the body was made by Chipley, but looked similar to the original pill milling. With the 'third generation' the pneus and HPR were all Chipley, although barrels were either Dye Excel or Works barrel.

I collect autocockers
CSL Ego
pics of my markers --- feedback
Contact me if you are selling a Westwood
Spazdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
adult film watcher

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
and of course mine sat somewhere in between before i pumped it...

old-style pill body, "works BB" but with the new-style pneu, hinge, internals?

heres a merlin one someones keeping warm for me for a while...

Last edited by Modded-Like-Hell; 02-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Modded-Like-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shooting For My Grade 10

BUMMPPP

I want to hear more info on these. If I recall correctly (which might be a little off since I have been on a 3.5 year hiatus), the first 100 Works guns were based off the AKA extrusions and there were only 30 or so P-Block guns. When did Works become CCM and what was the story behind it? Maybe some employees can shed some light on the facts behind these guns. What years certain styles were made, wire detents vs. spring detents, when they switched things around, what factory "unicorns" there were, etc. It almost seems like every gun is different in little ways between milling, trigger frames, and other options. I would like the separate the slop from the facts!

Here is mine (shameless whoring):

csermonet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

ahh man, I totally missed out on getting one in a trade from a friend of mine, he's an ex-teammate of the guy that made these guns... it was an original team gun of theirs (he still has another one but he's keeping it). totally blew it lol
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM