mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCM (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/)
-   -   Lightweight Pump Kit - Favorable Impressions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/199415-lightweight-pump-kit-favorable-impressions.html)

Dr. PhunkyPants 04-16-2012 01:37 PM

Lightweight Pump Kit - Favorable Impressions

By way of background, I have owned and still use a variety of deluxe CCM pump kits and grips--old and new, traditional, EZ, T-grip. This week I finally picked up a used lightweight pump kit--2k, pol silver--off the BST boards here for a project I'm trying to get done on the cheap.

Just wanted to make a post here to say WOW...really impressed with what you get for a lot less money. I think some people wonder what they are getting and what they are giving up when considering the LW kit, so here are a few thoughts:

Key differences:

- The back of the pump guide boasts a pump arm guide hole instead of a mount for the deluxe guide rod
- There is only one hole in the pump handle
- There is no metal pump plate secured to the pump grip--the pump rod threads into the handle directly

What's the same:

- The stainless steel main pump guide rod looks to be the same (2k or 99)--probably interchangeable with a Deluxe kit
- The stainless steel pump arm is A/T ready with the usual screw installed
- The milling on the pump grip is comparable to the EZ grip
- Anodizing and QA are top quality--no shortcuts in the quality of the product AT ALL

Thoughts on use:

Like I said above WOW. I don't think this kit is noticeable lighter--despite the name. I do approve of LW over "Economy" though, because it is certainly not a cheap kit. There are aspects of this kit that I like even more than the more expensive version...for one, it's smooth and quiet, since the stainless pump rod is moving against delrin only--not an aluminum plate!

The deluxe kit still has a small edge in one area...pump twist. There is about 1-2 millimeters of play in the Lightweight kit and nearly none in the deluxe. I think this is really a just a reflection of the fact that one design allows tighter tolerances. And frankly--I had to go get a deluxe kit to see whether the play was more or less then the LW kit. So it's still quite minimal in the grand scheme, but part of what you get for paying significantly more.

Anyway, I wanted to put this out there as an endorsement of the quality of the lighter kit.

CCM CHICK 04-16-2012 02:02 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Really glad you like the kit.
~M

joedirt199 04-18-2012 08:55 PM

for the price, i would use the econo kit the most. plenty of bang for the buck.

ikappedkermit 04-18-2012 09:50 PM

I have the Econo on my Cockers and the deluxe on my 6.5 - the difference is minor IMO... they are both very smooth, non-binding, too-damn-nice all the way around...

wrongbloke 04-20-2012 07:03 PM

Im going to add to this, I put an econo kit on my friend's sniper and its great. Only those who REALLY twist when they pump will make it bind.

I do however prefer the aesthetics of a deluxe kit though, that extra rod just really adds something imo...

spudman 04-22-2012 10:43 PM

I wont make this too long, but my deluxe kit it on the shelf along w/ the three handles i have for it.

I like that it is small and light..

The guide fits perfectly in my S5 bodies.

Super affordable.

Essentially its my go to kit.

JKR 01-03-2014 09:48 PM

Sort of reviving the dead here but I thought I would put my $0.02 here.

I just got a lightweight pre-2K pump kit in the mail today for a project that is taking shape. I haven't even received the old Autococker yet but I am ready to convert as soon as I get her.

A couple of things I noticed...

The build quality is top notch! This kit feels and moves nicely - no binding or any terribly significant wobble (it isn't bolted to a marker yet).

Mel ships quickly. Just ordered the kit and it arrived faster than I imagined possible!

Thanks CCM!

CCMachinist 01-04-2014 12:37 AM

IIRC the kit is about an ounce lighter.

we could even make it a little lighter by removing some of the material under the guide rod but then as we all know more machine time equals more wallet time.

maybe one day I'll do a couple prototypes.

CCM CHICK 01-06-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKR (Post 2873803)
Sort of reviving the dead here but I thought I would put my $0.02 here.

I just got a lightweight pre-2K pump kit in the mail today for a project that is taking shape. I haven't even received the old Autococker yet but I am ready to convert as soon as I get her.

A couple of things I noticed...

The build quality is top notch! This kit feels and moves nicely - no binding or any terribly significant wobble (it isn't bolted to a marker yet).

Mel ships quickly. Just ordered the kit and it arrived faster than I imagined possible!

Thanks CCM!

So glad you liked it! :)

JKR 01-10-2014 07:57 PM

Received my "new" toy (a 1993 Autococker) from Riddler and installed the lightweight pump kit.

The pump is solid and feels great. I highly recommend the lightweight pump kit if you are looking for a QUALITY kit and you are on a budget. Very nice!

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...58122756_n.jpg