mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCM (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/)
-   -   CCM 86* frame problem on half block body (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/208140-ccm-86%2A-frame-problem-half-block-body.html)

BassDude 07-14-2012 04:33 PM

CCM 86* frame problem on half block body

Hello all,

I have an 05 prostock body that I recently got half blocked by jcurt. I was using a slider frame and it worked perfectly. However, I bought a CCM 86 frame and now the sear wont catch on the hammer. I tried adjusting the hammer lug. It seems the window in the frame isnt long enough by like a millimeter for the sear to carch. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks for your help.

superman 07-14-2012 04:43 PM

new or used frame?

BassDude 07-14-2012 04:52 PM

Brand new

superman 07-14-2012 04:53 PM

i think there is a sear stop on the frame i think. maybe it needs to be adjusted for the sear to sit higher

ryanhall41 07-14-2012 06:08 PM

are you using a longer hammer?

your rear frame screw may be going into the bottom tube and stopping the hammer so it wont go back far enough to catch the sear.

BassDude 07-15-2012 12:56 AM

No, I don't think that is the problem. I can cock the hammer using an allen screw, but not the bolt. So after further investigation, I think the problem is this:

The window is just the tiniest bit too short. I switched between my slider and my 86 frame and noticed that when the slider is installed, there is just the tiniest bit of bolt poking out of the window. However, when I put the 86 on, the bolt "channel," if you will, is actually recessed just the smallest amount so that the bolt pin can't fully cock the hammer. I may try to get pictures, but I don't think I can even capture that in the picture, the difference is so minute.

I would like to say that this is not a mistake in jcurt's halfblock work. Since I have CCM halfblock internals inside, I didn't get the hammer milled to jcurt's specs. If I had gotten a normal hammer milled down, I doubt this would be an issue. Just don't want anyone to think his work may be at fault.

I guess the only way to fix it is make the window a little bigger using a file or maybe a dremel with a nice cutting bit. Thoughts?

senghing27 07-15-2012 04:23 PM

I've used CCM halfblock internals with Jcurt's halfblock work without any issues.

I'm kinda confused by your description. Post up some pics or a video, it might aid us better.

super_stanchy 07-16-2012 02:10 AM

is the body slot too short?

Jkoselka 07-16-2012 09:04 AM

^^I had this issue when I used the numbers on the print for the half blocking (found on custom cockers). I found that the CCM heavy hammer (halfblock hammer) had a slot that was about .03 longer then the slot on the hammer by Jcurt. Easy fix was to slot the body just a smidge more.

super_stanchy 07-16-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkoselka (Post 2412118)
^^I had this issue when I used the numbers on the print for the half blocking (found on custom cockers). I found that the CCM heavy hammer (halfblock hammer) had a slot that was about .03 longer then the slot on the hammer by Jcurt. Easy fix was to slot the body just a smidge more.

the josh gorr halfblock print is a great print, but i've always milled the slots a little more (on both ends) it doesnt hurt to make it an extra .02 each way.... better safe than sorry :)