mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #261 (permalink)
Post Whore

There are a few cheapy range finders out there that have tripod mounts. That screw in bolt style. I've though about having someone make me an adapter plate to attach to a picatinny mount. But for the time being I'm going to try to get by on just using the mildot method
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #262 (permalink)

Actually, I had the same question that some of you did. Namely, how did he mount the rangefinder. I have been using a handheld rangefinder for years but there are distinct advantages to having it on the rail. First of all, it frees up a vest pocket. Secondly it is just a whole lot quicker and easier. Sometimes time is not an issue. For example, once you are in a hide and waiting for the shot to set up, you usually have time to lase the distances where targets are likely to appear, put away the rangefinder, and settle back to wait. Sometimes it just doesn't happen like that and things happen quickly. With a single-shot bolt action, I will be busy enough loading rounds and not having to pull the rangefinder out would be a great simplification.

I queried Chicago about how he mounted the Vendetta and here is his answer:
Quick summary, once you buy the picatinny adapter, and fight with the Leupold side of the mounting, it works great! I luv it. If you are wondering about the fight, read the longer version below. You should come in around $260 total if you shop around. Amazon without the additional picatinny mount was $259 Leupold's list price is $379!.

Long version:
Here's exactly what I did. The Leupold Vendetta (which I purchased on e-bay from a 100% rated seller - big archery place - lowest price was $208 shipped), only comes with, what everyone will know as a long bow, not a crossbow mount or picatinny mount . I've seen a lot of video with them mount on crossbows and was hoping that maybe I was wrong, they included it; but, I was game to try a gludge if there wasn't a mount like that included.

They do show them mounted to crossbows and even have warning in their manual (yes an actual manual!) about the safety precautions on mounting the range finder too close to the crossbow safety!

Well, as my luck would have it, the anodizing (in my opinion) was too thick and the bow mount parts would not even mount to each other. I always dry fit all the parts once before mounting. OCD I guess.

So, I went online at leupold to see technical manuals and supposed mounting videos. None of those links worked. So, I sent them a nice email (not a nasty "you don't know what you are doing email.") And asked for help; let them know their website links in the ops manual didn't work anymore; did they have a recall cause their own parts didn't seem to fit together properly in their recommended configuration; and, where could I buy this elusive picatinny mount for/from Leupold. No response. Sent another query again after no response (another a week later just in case my email works with everyone but Leupold - in this case I used their on line technical support embedded email query tool).

About two weeks later, I learned they had a facebook site. Everything there was "glowing." So, I simply asked leupold why they weren't responding to my inquiries. And, was there a different email I could use to tell them my problem. Well it was maybe another two weeks and I got a facebook message saying "that wasn't the proper place to ask support questions that they did not appreciate a negative response about their products or service." and, they gave me their standard 1-800 number as I recall. I haven't gone back to their facebook page; but, I'll bet they deleted my less than "glowing" post!

I only tell you all this because the many reviews of the Leupold Vendetta I read on multiple sites always had one or two complaints. The users seem to love the products esp. the Vendetta; but, there was no technical support. One guy said he broke his mount trying to get it on and they wouldn't even sell him a replacement.

So, I quickly jumped on line and purchased the additional picatinny mount for $50 shipped. It still didn't mount easily (not the picatinny part) the piece that seems somehow permanently attached to the rangefinder piece. So used one of their screws and slowly and gently forced the mouth open a little and then slid it down over the picatinny mount. It worked great. Vendetta is still fully adjustable in any direction. Would highly recommend getting what they call the "crossbow" mount.

Now with the vendetta mounted, I just aim thru my sight, push the remote (wired) button and the correct yardage appears (used and 240 foot outdoor tape measure to verify distances). I luv it.

If anyone has more questions, let me know and I will see if I can get answers.

Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #263 (permalink)
Post Whore

For that price though you may be able to get the storm. Not sure on it ill confirm and check back
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #264 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I am diggin that set up, very cool indeed. I really think the range finder looks awesome and once you get used to the set up it will be super fast to range and fire.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #265 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Lookie Lookie what Dukie doing! http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...ml#post2516787

he prefers to do work in batches so I thought I'd point it out to those here that would be interested but don't stray from the ccm section.
dundadun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #266 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Bill,

Great work on the cocker adaptor. I'm just wondering how far out on the calendar is the longer shell compatable adaptor? Or is this on the back burner? For me the shells is the only way to go, so I didn't order the shorty.

Thanks again amigo.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #267 (permalink)

My SR1 in nearly final form (still dithering about which scope I will end up with on top):

CCM SR1 with extra-large throw-bolt handle;
Hammerhead Mofo 14" barrel and .686 fin;
Flasc suppressor;
Ergo Suregrip Ambi Grip with palm rest;
Magpul PRS stock;
Accushot monopod with Quick Knob;
Daniel Defense Omega rail with Magpul rail covers;
Bushnell Banner 1-4x scope;
ATACS tactical sling;
Killjoy APR2;
HHA Optimizer; and
Harris Utralight swivel bipod with Alpha Bravo lock.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #268 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Thats looking pretty good Jim.

I guess we are going to have to make it shoot real bullets.

“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

NEW STORE http://store.chipleymachine.com/

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #269 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Bill,

Great work on the cocker adaptor. I'm just wondering how far out on the calendar is the longer shell compatable adaptor? Or is this on the back burner? For me the shells is the only way to go, so I didn't order the shorty.

Thanks again amigo.

You will have to refresh me on the longer shell adapter.
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

NEW STORE http://store.chipleymachine.com/

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #270 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
You will have to refresh me on the longer shell adapter.
I think what he meant is that a shell adapter (cocker barrel adapter) that allow you to use the shell. The current adapter does not allow you to use first strike and only paintball.

Or in my case, the barrel was cut off and rethread to accept cocker thread:

pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM