mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostayhome View Post
PropperJ- when did you receive your J12? I got mine right before Christmas and now I'm wondering if only the very first ones had undertravel screws.
In any case, I'm sure it's not needed.
It got here on Jan 15th.

I have lost sleep now thinking that I have a drilled and threaded hole on my marker that serves no purpose....
PropperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoselka View Post
Due to the function of it, I can see where the J12 doesn't need one. Which is why I was surprised to see the hole and no screw.
The frame is all the way forward and still no fire (consistently at least), it will fire and then start to drop off again. The frame is tight so it didn't move. i will try that out and see what it does. Still planning on talking to Mel and Rod to see what else to do if the problem doesn't go away.

So I tried what you guys suggested, the frame is as far forward as it will go. Tightened the screws down snug, got about 20 shots and then it started the skipping and not firing. Took the frame off (making sure not to lose the pins) put it back on and then got a couple more shots before nothing. The hammer cocks but the trigger won't trip the sear. each time the screws were still snug and the frame hadn't moved. The issue started before I even had taken the frame off the gun, when I pulled it out of the box.
Is that pointy rod that cocks the hammer loose or out of adjustment?
Let us know what CCM says so we know what to do if we have the same issue.
PropperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
Yeah got ahold of Laurie, Mels out today. I did what I am comfortable doing. I really think it may be something in the trigger mechanism. Seems weird that if you leave it be for awhile and turn it upside down shake it then pull the trigger the hammer releases.

Here's a thought, could the cam lever on the trigger get stuck so that the trigger won't trip the hammer?

One the bright side the twenty shots I got off were a really nice smooth twenty shots.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback

Last edited by Jkoselka; 02-08-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Jkoselka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoselka View Post
Due to the function of it, I can see where the J12 doesn't need one. Which is why I was surprised to see the hole and no screw.
The frame is all the way forward and still no fire (consistently at least), it will fire and then start to drop off again. The frame is tight so it didn't move. i will try that out and see what it does. Still planning on talking to Mel and Rod to see what else to do if the problem doesn't go away.

So I tried what you guys suggested, the frame is as far forward as it will go. Tightened the screws down snug, got about 20 shots and then it started the skipping and not firing. Took the frame off (making sure not to lose the pins) put it back on and then got a couple more shots before nothing. The hammer cocks but the trigger won't trip the sear. each time the screws were still snug and the frame hadn't moved. The issue started before I even had taken the frame off the gun, when I pulled it out of the box.
There is NO under travel screw needed. NOSTAYHOME, yours was the 3rd sent out (not number 3 in serial number) and they put that one in there to screw with you - really!!

CCM used the new hardened sear on the J12. That hardened sear has a sharp point on it where it meets the hammer. That point will sometimes hang up and cause the marker to not fire especially when pulling the trigger slowly. A simple fix and you should call Rod.

I polished the tip of the sear to prevent it from "hanging up", removed less than a .1 pencil lead of material, removed all oil off of the sear (it seems to work consistently without oil) and the the trigger has not been an issue ever since. Rod polishes the tip on those markers after NOSTAYHOME's marker.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SeuDog; 02-08-2013 at 04:35 PM.
SeuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
And yet you continue to blame my pump handle conversion.
nostayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Called Rod, he is out today. Gonna talk to him on Monday.

Putting it away for now, , not going to do anything else to it until Monday.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback

Last edited by Jkoselka; 02-08-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Update 2/9/13

Ok so it looks as if the problem is sloved. Let me start at the beginning and then end at the ending.

2/7/13
Ups dropped off my J12 at my work (yeap it was like bring your kid to work day). Checked it out at lunch, dry fired it. Everything looked great at that point.
Got home late (annoying shift change over, my second shift loves to talk when I don't want to stay), opened up the box pulled out my new hottness and again dry fired once or twice. Now it was time to shoot for real, grabed my tank and headed out to the garage. I have an old deep fryer pot set up at the end of the garage to shoot into. Pulled off two shots then the unthinkable happened. Pump, pull trigger, nothing. The hammer stayed cocked but wouldn't release. Talk about major panic mode. I degassed the gun and took it inside to start looking it over (side note, for the next two days I was a major bear).
Took the grip off, in my haste I forgot the pins!!! Found one lost the other, lucky me I had a box of dowel pins from work (didn't steal we just had to remove them from inventory since we didn't have documentation on them *aerospace). Everything looked right except the empty set screw hole (which has now been pointed out by T.F. and CCM as a mistake, no screw needed or belongs). Put it back together, got a couple shots and then nada. In between all of this I made two phone calls to CCM (which was closed , it was late at that point). Broken hearted and needing to pay attention to ny family I ended my teching by starting this thread.

2/8/13
Sent off an email to Mel, I gave up at that point and figured just send it back for Rod to look at. Found out later that both Rod and Mel were out for the day (with all the work that went into getting the first fifty out I don't blame them, they needed a day off). Checked the thread and saw the post about the sear needing polished and remebered that T.F. stated that Rod was pretty much polish each sear, bolt to match each gun (something to that effect). I didn't want to futz with it too much without talking to Rod, so I resigned myself to just waiting till Monday.

2/9/13
The dog woke me up at about 5 am (which is what time I get up anyway, but it's always easier to blame the dog). Sitting around that early in the morning i got bored (did the dishes from the night before and cleaned the kitchen what else could I do) so i pulled out the J12 and took a deep breath. Fortune favors the brave/foolish, so i took the frame off, went out to the garage and grabbed to finest grit paper I got (about 1400, special stuff from work, borrowed with asking). Started to slowwwwly polish down the sear, I noticed a contact mark on the sear where the bolt looked to be diggin in. I reassembled the grip and gun and tested it out. About 20 shots then it started stopping again, however at this point autotrigger worked though (slight plus). After about an hour and a half of slowwwly polishing the back edge of the sear (the is what the bolt rests on) I got a consitent shot, pump the gun 100 time in a row is really boring and your arms will get tired (I re-assembled the grip probabley twenty times). Lastly wiped it down and did the final re-assemble, works like a champ. Shot a hopper of re-balls in the garage and it still is working fine.
I am still going to talk to Rod to get his impressions and suggestions.

Hopefully this was just a one off issue, but if anyone else experiences it hopefully this helps. Now....lust after my baby......

(No, I didn't get the shirt with the gun...I made it at home )

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
I had a similar problem with my J12 and had to send it back to CCM for Rod to take a look at.

What had happened with mine was the area milled out for the on the linkage that goes between the trigger and sear (I don't know what to call this....) was too shallow and the spring would slip and bow outwards. I could see if there was a problem there it would make the trigger not work right.
The other problem mine had was that the edge on the hammer was out of spec and didn't work 100% to CCMs expectations.
Might mean sending it back to CCM to get Rod to look at the gun unfortunately

I am sorry to hear that you had a problem too and hope that it gets resolved quickly like mine.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Good to know, well she has been going strong all day so far, been raining/cloudy and doing yard work all day. For the on/off time between doing stuff I have been playing around with it (just shooting it not taking it apart).

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Good to hear that you got it working.
After not installing the sear spring properly. I noticed that if it is not completely centered and vertical, you can have problems with firing too.

Oh and TF- I was able to checkout SeuDog's prototype and another J12 and they both didn't have a under travel screw. Even Myron was surprised that there was one in mine. Does that make my J12 a 1 of 1?? lol
nostayhome is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM