mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

just trying to help you debunk the weight argument...since some people claim the FSR might have a lower average weight.

have fun & carry on.
Brassballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassballs View Post
just trying to help you debunk the weight argument...since some people claim the FSR might have a lower average weight.

have fun & carry on.
Oh don't get me wrong I agree with you on the scale thing. I'm just not sure if it matters due to inconsistant weight and size of our current projectiles. I'm new to FSR so I'm not sure how much they vary in weight and size other than what UV posted.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

To answer your original question of why FS rounds and PB rounds vary so much in FPS when the gun remains the same, I'd first look to bore fit.

Now, I know that the SR-1 relies on the shell as a sort of ball sizer but, what's the state of the barrel beyond the shell?

LAPCO, before they released the rifled barrel, they recommended the .690 barrel for users only shooting FS rounds, and the .686 for those shooting FS and regular paint.

In the .690 barrel, regular paint (most of it anyways) in this barrel is in an overbored state so, it will allow air to blow by, reducing it's velocity (and efficiency). FS rounds on the other hand, because they will be in an effective 'bore match' state (even though they are a few thousandths smaller) and, they have that nice cup at the back for catching the air column, will come out as much as 20FPS faster.

In the .686 barrel, regular paint is either bore matched or, still overbored (but not as much) so it will be a little more efficient (and higher velocity than the other barrel). FS rounds on the other hand will be in an underbored state and because they don't compress to the I.D. of the bore as much as a regular ball, they experience a lot more friction as they move down the barrel, effectively reducing their speed to be closer to the regular paint.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
These are just my observations and really only apply to my limited experience with FS.

Another thought that may have some merit is the gelatin compound of the paintball shell and the plastic shell of FS. I am sure there is a big difference in drag, plus the projectile shape has one of the biggest effects on velocity.

The biggest thing we discovered was the size difference in the FS 684, 685, and 686 (which is pretty good for a production plastic part ) and how it was effected in a one size fits all barrel.

The first clue was vertical string of shots varied as much as 20 yards downrange under the target with tight fitting FS and over the target with loose fitting FS. That's when I started sizing the FS and noticed I had a better shot string when I shot all the same size FS.

As a test the 686 FS would have to be forced into the 684 sizer and the gun would not shoot it out of the shell sizer let alone the barrel.

In order to have a happy medium on barrel size we ended up with a 689 barrel bore.

Just to throw in something that makes no sense is I am testing the END Game barrel from the $aint and this barrel defies what little I know about barrel bores. The bore looks like it has drill swirl in it. It does not appear to be honed. It pinned .689. I think it's 20" long or so. And it has been one of the most accurate barrels I have shot on my SR1.
Go figure. I am going to do some bench rest with it soon and see what happens.

It's a lot of fun figuring out what make the FS work. I think we as a paintball community are on the edge of something new and exciting in paintball projectiles. I think 100+ yard consistent one shot hits are just around the corner.
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

NEW STORE http://store.chipleymachine.com/

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
We are getting there Bill ! Keep passing the info around we are learning everytime we shoot. I am doing a match grade fsr video next week just need a scale.
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
We are getting there Bill ! Keep passing the info around we are learning everytime we shoot. I am doing a match grade fsr video next week just need a scale.
I got a gram scale from Harbor freight that works pretty good.

The FS I have weighted run 3.0 to 3.1 grams not bad.
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Lol I picked one up today under 20 ! Kinda funny to hear a great shop like Ccm picks up stuff at harbor freight.
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
We use their small drill presses for deburring and a few of their other cheap throw away stuff. Their "quality" import cutting tools we don't use.

Their tile cutter works great on carbon.

Ecc. 9-10

Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
WALZ Jr.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I've used the scenario dreams fin thingamabobs. Range was hardly increased at all; most likely just because of the added weight.

After testing them I would never buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
I told him NOT to fart with an upset stomache. never trust a fart!
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuana View Post
I've used the scenario dreams fin thingamabobs. Range was hardly increased at all; most likely just because of the added weight.

After testing them I would never buy them.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The Scenario Dreams product places too much weight behind the ball thus causing an erratic flight trajectory. Still it's something to fart around with.

Something I noticed about FSR is the paint lasts for days. By that I mean I shot a neighbor's roof last week, he hass a huge black roof and well it's huge and easy to hit at a distance. Well we had a blizzard, snow rain, sleet well today as I glanced at the spot where I placed the round the white paint is still just as visible as the day I shot it.

Thank goodness I only shot one round or someone might notice it, looks like bird poo.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM