mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

By the look of the pictures provided, you can update that valve on the right and spring combination to the one more like the one on the left. That valve on the right is one of the original designs found on earlier ccm markers. CCM moved from that valve on the right to using the blue aluminum valve body and black "hat" as seen on the left. Contained in that hat is an "o ring" that can be replaced if worn. Not sure (not able to see) but under the blue valve hat, there is a hard plastic seal.

On the current markers and including the J12, they have since moved back to using a hardened brass valve body and are continuing to use the black "hat" design. (CCM is making the blue valve as pictured out of brass). The stem moving against the brass is somewhat self-polishing over time. New improvements to the black hat show a set screw on the top of the hat to prevent it from coming loose. Nice pictures!

Last edited by SeuDog; 02-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.
SeuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
You are correct about the seal on the blue valve stem, it is a hard plastic. The blue one is actually a spare that I have in my parts kit so I guess I can throw it in the J2.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Yeah - a new valve stem would make it modular. It appears, then that the bottom tube is the same for the J2.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
You are correct about the seal on the blue valve stem, it is a hard plastic. The blue one is actually a spare that I have in my parts kit so I guess I can throw it in the J2.
That is a choice but consider throwing it away instead and not into the J2 if you want it to be buttery smooth and have that signature sound. The new valve is so much better.

When compressed air hits that o'ring, it gets "jellow-ee" soft. If you screw the black top off, you will see a ridge. The o ring sits in the hat and is contained by that ridge. Because the o ring is so much softer than the hard plastic found in the older blue hat that you have, it requires a very light valve spring and main spring. One of the reasons why CCM markers are so buttery smooth after polishing and functional.

The older valve with blue hat and plastic seal requires a somewhat harder valve spring to seal (plastic on brass). It is easier to rebuild a newer ccm valve hat using a cheap o ring than what you have in the older hat. I believe the older hat was used when that J2 was a mechanical marker. Interestingly enough, per Rod, the newer valve is amazing in a mechanical cocker too. Light springs means you run the risk of pinching a ball and not breaking it in the breach when shooting a mech.

I think you will be so pleased using the newer valve, newer valve spring, and updated mainspring on your J2 if shooting pump. Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Last edited by SeuDog; 02-11-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I meant that the blue aluminum valve with the rebuildable stem is a spare, I worded it funny.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I meant that the blue aluminum valve with the rebuildable stem is a spare, I worded it funny.
LOL! No problem. Hope all works well.

Aloha!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM