mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCM (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/)
-   -   S-5 Cocker hammer binding in bottom tube (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/229075-s-5-cocker-hammer-binding-bottom-tube.html)

brycelarson 03-18-2013 11:08 AM

S-5 Cocker hammer binding in bottom tube
 
Hey guys, just picked up a S5 cocker. It's in minty condition and shows pretty much zero wear.

The hammer is really sticky in the bottom tube. Is this something other people have run into? Should I just pull out the dremel and polish the hell out of the hammer? Other ideas?

Washington reign 03-18-2013 11:10 AM

I use oil, usually resovles the issue

brycelarson 03-18-2013 11:12 AM

tried that. Still binding.

pulled the guts and gave everything a cleaning - then re-oiled and installed. it gets sticky near the back of the hammer lug slot.

crazyorigin 03-18-2013 11:50 AM

Check it for any burrs or nicks where someone may have tightened the lug down into the corner of the body where it slides through to engage the sear. It is not likely this happened but it is possible. I dont use any lube in my lower tubes and they have always worked flawlessly.

river031403 03-18-2013 11:51 AM

Polish it up

super_stanchy 03-18-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyorigin (Post 2657633)
Check it for any burrs or nicks where someone may have tightened the lug down into the corner of the body where it slides through to engage the sear. It is not likely this happened but it is possible. I dont use any lube in my lower tubes and they have always worked flawlessly.

this.

doesnt take much to get it to bind

if it really is binding that bad, shine a flashlight down the lowetube, you should see scratch/gouge/imperfections

brycelarson 03-18-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_stanchy (Post 2657635)
if it really is binding that bad, shine a flashlight down the lowetube, you should see scratch/gouge/imperfections

I don't have it here with me at work - but my guess is that the lug slightly deformed the back of the slot due to excess HPR pressure.

thanks, I'll dig into it. Only my 2nd CCM - got the other one with only one previous owner - Carter. That one was super minty.

Obviously WGP lower tubes have tons of slop - I'm not used to this tight a tolerance. :)

brycelarson 03-18-2013 10:24 PM

Appears to be slight deformation at the back of the lug slot. Emory cloth?

Talfuchre 03-19-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyorigin (Post 2657633)
Check it for any burrs or nicks where someone may have tightened the lug down into the corner of the body where it slides through to engage the sear. It is not likely this happened but it is possible. I dont use any lube in my lower tubes and they have always worked flawlessly.

This is what I would check.

TF

Talfuchre 03-19-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycelarson (Post 2658306)
Appears to be slight deformation at the back of the lug slot. Emory cloth?

You said you have a dremel - chuck up the polishing wheel and take that bad boy off.

If it needs to be more agressive - 600 or higher wet dry wrapped around a small dowel and go SLOW.

TF


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC