mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Out of Options

CCM Fan
Yet another S6.5 inconsistency thread

Purchased back my old S6.5 a few months ago, was pretty stoked about that. The person who had it for 10 months didn't do any maintenance on it, it was dirty and sticky inside out, with residual paint and oil.

Mel and Rod were kind enough to send me new lower tube internals (hammer spring, valve, valve stem and valve spring). I cleaned everything thoroughly, tore down/rebuilt the reg and installed the new valve assembly as per TF's videos.

-Delrin bolt is *lightly* lubed with Triflow.
-Reg is sweetspotted at 320psi
-IVG is two turns in from flush
-Shooting very fresh Marbs bored at .679
-Tried both CCM barrel with .679 sizer and Freak spiral ported barrel w/ .679 sizer
-both barrels yield same result, velocity will range from 275 to 285 fps.
-Using Ninja 68/4500 tank with Ninja Pro reg set at 850psi.

The only thing I have not tried is a different tank. Then again, my Ninja tank is very consistent when used on my Automag.

What else can I try?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Christian Baller

CCM Fan
Could their be mud/paint in the lower tube? pirhana92 has a T2 and when he gets mud/paint in the slot of the lower tube it gets very inconstant like that. Sometimes he has to clean it after every day of play. (We live in Ohio, LOTS of mud.)
AnimalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Out of Options

CCM Fan
Like I said in my post, I thoroughly cleaned the gun inside and out. Thinking of stripping it down again and maybe clean the internal tube with hot water
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Try underboring a little more, maybe .677 or .675. Also have to taken apart the regulator and cleaned/lubed/checked it.

Personally I don't see a 10fps fluctuation as a big swing. Your basically shooting 280fps +/- 5bps. If it was going from 270-300fps then I would have concerns.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
I would personally be very happy with those chronograph results. Lots of variables in play--including the seams on the paint and fill consistency, none of which is ours to control.

As said above, I'd try underboring further and then I'd leave it alone. This is an imprecise science with many variables...there are limits to what one should reasonably expect to achieve.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cocker Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
Try underboring a little more, maybe .677 or .675. Also have to taken apart the regulator and cleaned/lubed/checked it.

Personally I don't see a 10fps fluctuation as a big swing. Your basically shooting 280fps +/- 5bps. If it was going from 270-300fps then I would have concerns.
Try cleaning the hpr as stated. You should still be pretty happy with those results though.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:

That would be my suggestion too. I had some paint I bored at .679 (two tubes worth) and I was +/- 8fps, went to .677 and I was almost +/- 1 except for the odd really really small ball. Consistency is seriously lacking, even in some higher end paint.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Your basically shooting 280fps +/- 5bps.
Pretty much sums it up.
Also, I run my S6.5 hammer without any oil on it.
nostayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Out of Options

CCM Fan
Quote:
Your basically shooting 280fps +/- 5bps. If it was going from 270-300fps then I would have concerns.
Huh. Never saw it like that, I guess you're right! Will underbore and see what the results are like.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Out of Options

CCM Fan
Stripped down, washed and dried, rebuilt and sized at .677. Consistency seems better, but I did notice a minor scuff inside the bottom half of the reg where the reg spring is, but it doesn't look to cause friction on anything.

Will perform more tests over the chrono later and report back if I find anything, but as it stands, she looks tuned and ready to rip.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM