mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Polishing hammer/internals

I've read that in place of a polishing wheel/dremel 2000 grit sandpaper can be used to polish the hammer, guide rods, ect; Is this true? I'm a new CCM (6.5) owner and would like to tear down my gun and polish everything but I don't have a wheel or dremel.

Thanks in advance!
Murz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murz View Post
I've read that in place of a polishing wheel/dremel 2000 grit sandpaper can be used to polish the hammer, guide rods, ect; Is this true? I'm a new CCM (6.5) owner and would like to tear down my gun and polish everything but I don't have a wheel or dremel.

Thanks in advance!
I would not used a dremel hand polish is all you would ever need. If its new leave it be.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
I would not used a dremel hand polish is all you would ever need. If its new leave it be.
I just picked the 6.5 up used. It's #S6.5 0080 so it's been around a while and has seen play. When you say "hand polish" do you mean with the 2000 grit sandpaper?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
No. Grit paper does not polish. It shaves. What you need is a polishing wheel or a dremel with a small polishing pad.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
I have used Mother's Mag polishing compound on my internals and guide rods in my T2 and CCM'd cocker pumps to get the hammer to that mirror finish.

On some of the pumps that I have that are really rough & filthy, I will throw my hammer on a "custom made rod" (aka I went and found some 10-32 redirod and cut it to length) in my hand drill, clean it up with 1000g paper, then hit it with #0000 steel wool and after that polish the hammer with Mother's Mag. This gets the job done fast but you have to pay attention to what you are doing. I have had to sand down CCM hammers to fit in a few WGP bodies and I don't go lower then 400g when I start the process.

I don't like to polish the tail of the poppit because it is machined to fit in the valve body (and CCM does a really good job polishing them in the factory)
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murz View Post
I just picked the 6.5 up used. It's #S6.5 0080 so it's been around a while and has seen play. When you say "hand polish" do you mean with the 2000 grit sandpaper?

Thanks for the help!
Skip polishing the hammer and internals. Polish your guide rod and call it a day.

"Originally posted by Element Paintball@pbnation: you realize it would be easier to get a new wife than a new dc2."

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
CCM Tech Video Polishing your Moving Parts. - YouTube

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Can we get TF a medal or something? Dude anytime I think something ccm I look and there he is like a guardian angel. Thanks for your hard work.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
TF - Thank you for the reply! I have actually watched all of your tech videos and enjoy them very much. I like others here thank you very much for all that you do for the community! The problem is I don't have access to a buffing wheel or dremel so I was asking for advice in regards to alternative buffing methods. Ultimately it looks like the best route for me though is to find a buddy with a wheel, lol.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Make sure to add some WD40 or water to the sandpaper, it smooths out the finish with the sandpaper compared to dry in my opinion. I'd start with 1000 and then 1500. You can go higher if you want, it will only help. Once the sanding is done, get some fine polishing compound/paste, apply it to a microfiber towel or a polishing specific pad and clean it up until it shines. I've had great results with that method and SS.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM