mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCM (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/)
-   -   Had a little mushrooming Sunday... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/38349-had-little-mushrooming-sunday.html)

Talfuchre 04-22-2008 01:44 PM

Had a little mushrooming Sunday...

No - not THOSE types of mushrooms!

Mmy Series 6 (which I play aggressively with and often) took a little beating Sunday when the slot cut into the bottom tube mushoomed slightly (from the lug hitting it I am guessing) and caused drag on the bolt.

A little emory cloth cleaned it up with no issues - but just be warned if you get odd velocity fluctuations and you have an older marker (or you treat yours like a monkey on a suitcase) then this may be something to check out.

TF

mojojojoaf 04-22-2008 03:49 PM

"like a monkey on a suitcase...." is that what kids call it these days?

CCMachinist 04-22-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talfuchre (Post 378651)
No - not THOSE types of mushrooms!

Mmy Series 6 (which I play aggressively with and often) took a little beating Sunday when the slot cut into the bottom tube mushoomed slightly (from the lug hitting it I am guessing) and caused drag on the bolt.

A little emory cloth cleaned it up with no issues - but just be warned if you get odd velocity fluctuations and you have an older marker (or you treat yours like a monkey on a suitcase) then this may be something to check out.

TF

I'm not sure what caused that.I saw it happen on a Series 5 years ago.But it was operator error.He had set the lug way to low.Since I know you know what you are doing,I would check out the lug and make sure the lug clearance is cut long enough.Do you see what I'm talking about.If it was short cut then the threads would be hitting the frame.other than that I'm kind of stumped.

Talfuchre 04-23-2008 08:19 AM

Honestly Bill,

Grab a marker - use way too much strength and ram that lug into the body. It will mushroom slightly no matter what. This was simply wear. No biggie at all.

TF

CCMachinist 04-23-2008 09:56 AM

well,I proved it wasn't bullet proof.You proved it's not wear proof.Time for a hard ano gun.We did a brush finish the other day on a series 6 and had it black hard anoed.It looks very nice.We will do some testing.It may replace the dust.

Murph 04-23-2008 11:09 AM

Should've seen the slot on my first autococker. I got a used 2k1 centerfeed for a hundred bucks in 03. And it was a store that priced it at that.

Warwitch 04-23-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCmachinist (Post 379839)
well,I proved it wasn't bullet proof.You proved it's not wear proof.Time for a hard ano gun.We did a brush finish the other day on a series 6 and had it black hard anoed.It looks very nice.We will do some testing.It may replace the dust.

Hmm, pics of said marker?

Any way to put an oring bumper of some type on the lug to keep it from bashing the slot?

Talfuchre 04-23-2008 01:18 PM

This is actually easy to fix - drill and tap the end of the large pump arm and add a screw. Set it to limit overtravel of the hammer and bolt.

TF

Warwitch 04-23-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talfuchre (Post 380077)
This is actually easy to fix - drill and tap the end of the large pump arm and add a screw. Set it to limit overtravel of the hammer and bolt.

TF

But if its metal-to-metal contact there will still be metal fatigue. A bumper of some type would tame that impact a little. Of course, I base this on no engineering knowledge whatsoever. Im just spitballing here. :rolleyes:

mtaylor 04-23-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talfuchre (Post 380077)

TF

Or just stick some kind of stopper in there. A pencil works.