mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCM (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/)
-   -   A lesson learned on an S-6. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ccm/44023-lesson-learned-s-6-a.html)

Talfuchre 06-28-2008 11:01 PM

A lesson learned on an S-6.

Every now and again I play at a field which has some VERY fine talcum powder style dust.

If it gets into my bottom tube - I have hell to pay with my Series 6.

Here is what I (re)learned today. If you are getting drop off - or drop off in auto trigger - after you verify your regulator is recharging properly - check your hammer and bottom tube. Clean both and polish your hammer if you can.

You will likely solve this problem.

CCM's seem to have tighter tolerances in their bottom tube - so it might just effect CCM markers (or others with close tolerances). However, it seems like a reg problem and can drive you nuts if you keep going back to the reg while trouble shooting.

TF

worrptangl 06-29-2008 04:17 AM

I know the feeling out here in hawaii with all the sand

Talfuchre 06-29-2008 09:09 AM

That and it is Volcanic sand - so VERY fine!

TF

worrptangl 06-29-2008 03:32 PM

Mine did the same thing but mine was a mixture of the sand and my lug backing out.

Didn't bother me since I don't auto trigger. Oddly enough enough I seemed to get better efficiency with it like that. Call me crazy lol

Talfuchre 06-29-2008 04:43 PM

Worr,

If you have a chronic problem with the lug - under the cocking rod is a nylon screw that can be adjusted to put more pressure on the lug. It is going to be more efficient that way - I would wager you had a drop force hitting the hammer due to the binding of the hammer. I dropped from 300 FPS to about 275. I thought I got more efficiency as well.

TF

worrptangl 06-29-2008 05:09 PM

I ended up switching out the lug and no more problems

Talfuchre 06-29-2008 09:34 PM

Well - after much more research - and tinkering - I found a burr on my bottom tube that was likely causing / exacerbating the problem.

600 grit sandpaper and some aluminum polish later - it is shooting like a champ again. I noticed, as well, that this was likely a problem for some time. I am shooting ball on ball ropes in AT again - had been a while with this marker.

TF

worrptangl 06-30-2008 12:19 AM

Well that's good to here!

Mar 06-30-2008 03:42 PM

could you please break down for me how you polish the bottom tube?

Remove all parts (including valve?) and give er'?

How do you get the sandpaper in there?

Andrewliu6294 06-30-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mar (Post 441171)
could you please break down for me how you polish the bottom tube?

Remove all parts (including valve?) and give er'?

How do you get the sandpaper in there?

You could probably just use a dowel with some cloth, or a battle swab or something. Smear aluminum polish all over it, chuck it in a drill, and just spin the thing inside.

or something like a flexhone would work too.

for removing tiny burs, I guess sticking a tiny piece of sandpaper to your fingertip and just sliding it in there couldn't hurt.