mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddyBeavis

keep posting here as info becomes available... i'll be lurking (ahem... watching). we've got a bunch of pumpers in st louis but unfortunately there aren't many pump events. it might be cool for our team to road trip to chi-town for something like this. we play in the OSC event each year, which is limited paint pump-only, so we're familiar with the format. just wish there were more events like this!

My MCB Feedback

Wildcat Paintball | Paintball Outfitters | CCM | PB Customz | One Shot Wonders

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
BigDaddyBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallify View Post
I dont find my way down this far on MCB much, but I'm glad I did. I'm working on creating just this sort of event, and we have some big guns on board for support. With any luck more info will be out soon.

On a side note Chicago Underground is having a "tryout" (more of a meet and greet really) for a pump squad on March 4th at Fox paintball. You guys should come out and see what we have to offer. Worse case senario is you come out and play pump with fellow pumpers, best case is you make some new friends and get to join up with a group of fellow pumers and go to some events.
Glad you saw this Wally.

Personally, I'm more interested in limited paint recreational play. Maybe after a bit of a community is established it will be easier to talk plans for a league? I'd love to see at least one weekend a month dedicated at some field to this. Personally, I prefer the outdoors over indoor airball setups. But that wouldn't keep me from coming out and having some fun.

So now comes the really fun and dangerous part...

What do we all consider limited paint setups?

My two copper:
  • Stock Class pumps. -- Phantom, PGP
  • Tube spring feed. -- Longbow kits, Palmers, Zeus Pistols
  • Mag feed. -- Tiberius, TPX, ATS, MilSig, Tacamo, RAP4 (exception RAP4 Box mag)
  • Open Class Pumps. -- CCM / Custom Snipers / Empire Sniper
  • Cyclone/RipClip with 30-50rd Tac Caps. -- A5/X7/Phenom/BT4/TM7

(Hoppers for open class pumps... While the limited paint zealot in me would love to suggest 50-100 round hoppers, it seems like there's many open class pumpers payers that love their reliable rotors. Not sure we'd want to alienate them.)

How much paint to allow one to carry onto the field? I'm wide open to interpretation. Especially with recreational woods games as you often play two games with every walk out of the staging area. My first though overly ambitious stab would be 50 to 100 per game. But then again I'm brutal when it comes to trying to cut down on paint use. So carry our 100 to 200 rounds when you plan to run 2 games before returning to staging.

I know that my inclusion above of A5/X7 30 round TacCap users might put off some pumpers. First, don't worry, I'm certainly not definitive word on these things, just offering up ideas. Second, I really think it's a great untapped resource for us. Many players who now have a nice CCM pump, or mag feed setup, at one time had a old spare A5 or their friend does. Allowing TacCaps would allow people with A5s to buy a sub $10 part, and bring an extra friend along for limited paint fun. A great stepping stone to get those folks to buy TPXs, Phantoms, and CCM T2s... instead of Egos, DMs, and Axes.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Back sorta I guess

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooAddict View Post
Glad you saw this Wally.

Personally, I'm more interested in limited paint recreational play. Maybe after a bit of a community is established it will be easier to talk plans for a league? I'd love to see at least one weekend a month dedicated at some field to this. Personally, I prefer the outdoors over indoor airball setups. But that wouldn't keep me from coming out and having some fun.

So now comes the really fun and dangerous part...

What do we all consider limited paint setups?

My two copper:
  • Stock Class pumps. -- Phantom, PGP
  • Tube spring feed. -- Longbow kits, Palmers, Zeus Pistols
  • Mag feed. -- Tiberius, TPX, ATS, MilSig, Tacamo, RAP4 (exception RAP4 Box mag)
  • Open Class Pumps. -- CCM / Custom Snipers / Empire Sniper
  • Cyclone/RipClip with 30-50rd Tac Caps. -- A5/X7/Phenom/BT4/TM7

(Hoppers for open class pumps... While the limited paint zealot in me would love to suggest 50-100 round hoppers, it seems like there's many open class pumpers payers that love their reliable rotors. Not sure we'd want to alienate them.)

How much paint to allow one to carry onto the field? I'm wide open to interpretation. Especially with recreational woods games as you often play two games with every walk out of the staging area. My first though overly ambitious stab would be 50 to 100 per game. But then again I'm brutal when it comes to trying to cut down on paint use. So carry our 100 to 200 rounds when you plan to run 2 games before returning to staging.

I know that my inclusion above of A5/X7 30 round TacCap users might put off some pumpers. First, don't worry, I'm certainly not definitive word on these things, just offering up ideas. Second, I really think it's a great untapped resource for us. Many players who now have a nice CCM pump, or mag feed setup, at one time had a old spare A5 or their friend does. Allowing TacCaps would allow people with A5s to buy a sub $10 part, and bring an extra friend along for limited paint fun. A great stepping stone to get those folks to buy TPXs, Phantoms, and CCM T2s... instead of Egos, DMs, and Axes.
I agree with you for the most part, but I really don't think that marker restrictions are the way to go. If someone wants to play limited paint and burn through their paint in 5 seconds, then they're screwed the rest of the game and I'm sure the other team will be pleased. I play with a mokal aura and pocket hopper for example, and 50 rounds is typically enough for me per woodsball game, and lasts for two rounds on the speedball field. the easier/cheaper it is for people to join, the more people will potentially continue playing.

If you are what you eat, then isn't cannibalism the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
barrels are like women - everyone likes them for their subtle differences and personal preferences. ALthough at this price, they cost substantially less than women.

(caution: barrels are not like women, do NOT insert your p3nis into a barrel)
ComradeBenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBenedict View Post
I agree with you for the most part, but I really don't think that marker restrictions are the way to go. If someone wants to play limited paint and burn through their paint in 5 seconds, then they're screwed the rest of the game and I'm sure the other team will be pleased. I play with a mokal aura and pocket hopper for example, and 50 rounds is typically enough for me per woodsball game, and lasts for two rounds on the speedball field. the easier/cheaper it is for people to join, the more people will potentially continue playing.
I guess I differ with you there. That's what I like to get away from, people spraying a lane of paint. Want the game to be about movement and making those key shots. Not posting up and unloading even if only for a moment.

Too many friends left the game with ramping and airball gaining in popularity. They were intimidated by the rates of fire and didn't enjoy getting pinned down for the whole game behind a balloon. I keep pushing limited paint style play in a hope to bring them back to the party. Could be we are after completely different things, and that's fine. I don't have a problem with your style of play, just making it clear it's not my goal... I want more people playing pump and pistol.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.

Last edited by VooDooAddict; 02-21-2012 at 09:37 PM.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via MSN to Breck

Limit pain based on the team sizes; the OSC did this. I believe they did 40rnds for 3 man and 60rnds for 5 man...hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong. So that's roughly 12 balls per opponent. Just pick a ratio and run with it. The WTL in CA does 7 man, 2 pods/person except there is 1 heavy gunner with unlimited paint who cannot share his/her paint (others can share). I'm not saying go with two pods but just throwing out how creative others have gotten.
Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pew Pew Pew

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I think as long as it's max 50 rounds, and that is strictly enforced, then it would be useles to have a marker regulation.

Let people shoot for one second if they want to, then get destroyed by the smarter player.
MZinCamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddyBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
Limit pain based on the team sizes; the OSC did this. I believe they did 40rnds for 3 man and 60rnds for 5 man...hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong. So that's roughly 12 balls per opponent. Just pick a ratio and run with it. The WTL in CA does 7 man, 2 pods/person except there is 1 heavy gunner with unlimited paint who cannot share his/her paint (others can share). I'm not saying go with two pods but just throwing out how creative others have gotten.
that's precisely how osc does it and it works very well.

My MCB Feedback

Wildcat Paintball | Paintball Outfitters | CCM | PB Customz | One Shot Wonders

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
BigDaddyBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZinCamo View Post
I think as long as it's max 50 rounds, and that is strictly enforced, then it would be useles to have a marker regulation.

Let people shoot for one second if they want to, then get destroyed by the smarter player.
agreed! if someone wants to shoot 15bps for 2 seconds, let them! they'll have to spend their last 5 minutes with 20 rounds, which is 4 balls per minute.

allowing speed but having a 50 shot limit just adds another dimension of strategy.

Last edited by samthepainter; 02-22-2012 at 04:20 PM.
samthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Furries are EVERYWHERE :3

o'hare is actually thinking of doing a pump night, so that could be a good start
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

CCM Fan
The idea that is being kicked around right now is a 3 man similar to the OSC I have played that event before and it was probably one of my favorite days of paintball.

Before each player setps on the field you dump tip your hpper upside down to show there isnt paint in it. Then fill it using 4 10 round tubes (easy way to check for 40 rounds max) After you add paint you Chrono. Fail the chrono or have to make adjustments and your now playing with less paint.

I like the set up it ensures you get your stuff right the first time or pay by playing with less paint. and I think 40 is a good number. It allows a limited laning option while making you work for angles and still have to pick your shots.

I will keep this thread updated as best I can when more info comes in, but if I forget send me a pm and remind me to come back!
Art Of Pump

Next up:
SPE 2014
Wallify is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Central