mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Starting a casual team in SW Ohio

I guess after too many years away from paintball and scenario play I'm going to start moving back into it and the best way I can figure of doing that is creating a "team" to travel to some of regions better games. Anyone in Ohio knows that there really isn't anything as far as scenario goes, between Spiro having to quit paintball afew years back and closing Lumpy's and Battlefront going belly up almost 2 years ago there isn't much of a real scenario scene in Ohio and only 1 or 2 big games worth mentioning. So I'm going to start a team reminisant of the one that got my father and I into the game back in the 90's . A casual team that plays together every so often and then travels to larger events, nothing formal, no matching uniforms or anything over the top just a big group of people loading up a convoy and heading to a good game.
So far based on the area I've compiled only afew fields that are within a 6 hour drive but I've been out of it for so long I'm not sure if there are any new fields or if some of these places closed.
CPX
Chicago, IL
Sherwood Forest
Le Porte, IN
Fort Knox
Winimac, IN
Bear Claw
Fayetteville, TN

Intentional left off:
Hells Survivors
Hell, MI
Nothing against the field or the people that play there but I covered 2 games there the last year I was doing paintball coverage and it doesn't seem like a place I'd like play (field layout, choke points, camping issues, un-capped ROF). I might add it to the list in the future or if they changed some stuff up a bit but it doesn't seem like a place I'd take a less experienced group.
Splatter Park
Amelia, OH
I haven't played here but between they're not allowing outside photographers (always pisses me off) and advice from just about every player I've played with at a higher level said to avoid it. They do have cheap games so maybe I'll see if it is as bad as it's been stated.

Future Games
Once the team gets some experience and is willing to put in the travel and expense.
D-Day
Oklahoma
Living Legends
CPX, Chicago, IL
Any EMR Event
NE, PA

What do you guys think any fields worth traveling too in a similar circle?

We'd also have a rotation of local fields that we would be playing at and any that would host a proper Big Games including:
Paintball Country
Blastzone Paintball
Red Dragon
TPA
Cabin Creek

Like I said the team will be really lax, players are free to come and go, I'll most likely make the first meeting a clinic to get everyone on the same page as far as what it takes to play a 24 hour game and get the most out of a scenario.

Input?
Keep Calm & Kick A**

Last edited by Steed; 05-20-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lurker

HSI is a great place to go hang out with folks you meet on the forums - in the staging area. The choke-point issue you mentioned can make for a lot of boring meat-grinder action if you have more than 100 players on the field.

Splatterpark is fun to goof off at during walk-on play, but their big games are like the HSI big games, except overrun with little kids who won't stop shooting no matter how many times you hit them or they hit you. I'm really surprised there isn't a lot of real violence at those events. Then again, I haven't been to one in almost 10 years, so maybe that's changed.

Red Dragon Paintball in Hamersville, OH,is close to you, and they have some decent events, if small. The owner is a really nice guy too.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Heard of Red Dragon but never heared of them hosting too much more than just large open-play style days. I'll look into it. I am planning on having the group have an open play/practice type day once a month at Country most often and every so often get over to Blast, maybe I'll include Red Dragon into the fold but Country will be our "home field" simply because I like the people there and they have a facility that will let us just sit and talk.

I agree HSI players make that place what it is but at the larger events that we'd travel up there for can have issues. Like I said I'd think about taking the group up there once they get some time under there belts but after seeing half a team with Egos and A1's raining paint at max ROF I deffinately wouldn't take a team there that I'm trying to expose a larger side of paintball to. If I found out they put a cap on the ROF then I'd consider it and just coach the guys to avoid the faults of the field.
Keep Calm & Kick A**

Last edited by Steed; 04-25-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan

Flyer's done.
Keep Calm & Kick A**

Last edited by Steed; 05-04-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Working team name I think will be Weekend Warriors, ideas?

I'm also interested in hearing from players that like the idea but would be to far from Cincinnati and would want to start their own chapter, we'd play at the same big games but just not the same home field. If you're
close to Sherwood/CPX area or Bear Claw and interested let me know.
Keep Calm & Kick A**
Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

My 'home' field is sorta doing this. The past few years we have gone up to Hell's Survivors for the Tippmann Challenge, yes it isn't the greatest field layout, but it is far from the worst, but we have a blast each year with our pumps and Semi's. Though we might be doing a different game in september, but we have no idea atm. Their refs are slowly becoming better (this past year most of them had the same relative idea of some of the same rules)

We are just a group of guys who have played at Outback (outside of Xenia) or know someone associated. Last week we had a group of 10 of us run up to Sherwood, 3 of us were from out of state. We try to get together at the field a week or two before the next big game to have a nice casual day of play and fellowship.

It is a blast to have ppl to go to new fields with, especially if they are decent players and love the game. I hope you can get a group together, if not, i'm sure there are other groups around the area that have the same interests in mind.

I second your opinion of SplatterPark, their paint is terribad, the individual fields are decent though, but big-games there just turn into paint hoses with waaay too many ppl stuffed into too small of an area.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Agreed HS is an great field with a few flaws but some of those flaws are game can be game breaking.
I am hoping to get this off the ground, it was a group like this that got my father into the sport and we both miss that comradely that we used to have. Maybe our groups can share a camp site real-estate in a couple of months.
Keep Calm & Kick A**
Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would suggest joining Tactical Paintball Ohio: https://www.facebook.com/groups/188813411278719/

It is a conglomerate of teams in SW Ohio and surrounding area. The group itself doesn't have a lot of activity in terms of posts but it's a good way to connect/coordinate with other teams in your area.

Most of the groups were present at the last White River Paintball Scenario and some went to Sherwood. We have 10-12 guys from my team going to D-Day in June.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenlo View Post
I would suggest joining Tactical Paintball Ohio: https://www.facebook.com/groups/188813411278719/

It is a conglomerate of teams in SW Ohio and surrounding area. The group itself doesn't have a lot of activity in terms of posts but it's a good way to connect/coordinate with other teams in your area.

Most of the groups were present at the last White River Paintball Scenario and some went to Sherwood. We have 10-12 guys from my team going to D-Day in June.
Thanks I'll give them a look.
Keep Calm & Kick A**
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenlo View Post

FYI that link doesn't work.
Keep Calm & Kick A**

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Central