mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Speedball returns to Hell Survivors, MI

Oh yeah!

They reopened the thunderdome at Hellz during the Tippmann Challenge and it will be joined by expanded speedball fields the rest of this season and into next year, even more choices!

It's not directly owned By Dave and Ed, rather a friend Chris has 'sublet' the thunderdome and will be constructing more fields on what used to be the VIP/employee lot. THE SPEEDBALL IS BYOP, but Fireball MUST still be used on the regular fields and personally I won't switch from the Draxxus Inferno(Fireball) unless
I'm forced to.

I'm going to go over there this saturday morning and throw down a challenge- me and my Zeus one on one against anyone, any marker. I'll let you know how it goes!

Here's some pics of TWC weekend:

WHOO!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Palmers Fan
How does it work? Is it a complete operation, fill stations, paint sales etc. or are some facilities shared with HSI.
how much does it cost?
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NoZebra

I like hellz but not a fan of their field paint. Any Idea why they decided to go with a red fill like that?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Because no one else really makes a red fill, so it makes it harder to sneak in paint from other places.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Havocx

* Useless Fact*
Red fill is illegal in Canada
Havocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Because no one else really makes a red fill, so it makes it harder to sneak in paint from other places.
Correct. The paint was custom made for HSI. The balls are 2 tone as well. There is a red half and a yellow half, with the yellow half having red flames on it. Ive seen a few people get kicked out for bringing their own paint to some of the big games.
sledgebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Hey Beest,
It's a 'subcontracted' sort of arrangement, with shared facilities for air and such, you know the guy, he's a regular, but as I said the speedball part is NOT FPO. Only two more weekends and I'm missing today because of work! HS is closing end of Nov until Beginning of Apr.

The Hell Survivors field paint is Draxxus Inferno SFX, draxxus's top of the line paint that can be ordered with choice of fill(their protournament 'Hellfire' is technically a higher grade, but only comes in orange fill). It's .689, so that's a problem for some people, however speaking as someone who plays there nearly every weekend, for every person with gun or barrel X that I see complaining, I see three other people with the same gun or barrel loving it, it's good paint. In fact, overall it's the best field paint I've ever dealt with, the best you can buy from Draxxus and not too expensive at $15 a bag. I don't get the advantage of the free air and co2 fills because I 12gram everything, but it's still not a bad deal.

My christmas present from my wife is going to be a VIP pass again, so I'll be out there again next year, with pistols on! It's worth it for the big games alone, but as I get older, I find I enjoy the big games less and regular open play more. The only times I used to go to Hell Survivors was for the big games like the Monster Game(Michigan 500 anyone?), now I really like the variety of teams in open play and most saturdays in mid summer there's 50 on a team, so it feels like a big game when you're playing just one part of the field.

So next year, they'll have woodsball, speedball, the SPPL qualifier and apparently a date for the OPPL, Outdoor Paintball Players league which is going to be formatted like the Scenario Paintball Player's League, one hour games, 2 home bases and a swing base, objectives to recover during play and nerfs, grenades and mines encouraged. The OPPL is going for a five man team, instead of the ten man teams of the SPPL. It's going to be a fun year!

Good Times!
Rob

Old 11-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dstud2000 Send a message via MSN to dstud2000 Send a message via Yahoo to dstud2000

why did Dave drop the thunderball and speedball in the first place...that seems a bit weird.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, I never asked Dave or Ed, specifically, but they're still open after 21 years because they keep their eye on the bottom line, but also follow their own ideas of what's fun and therefore worth doing. In the 3 big games last year they estimate that millions of paintballs were fired, I saw the number(I'll edit it in when I remember where I saw it), but they're doing fine without speedball and the extra refs that are required and so forth.

Rob

Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Well, I never asked Dave or Ed, specifically, but they're still open after 21 years because they keep their eye on the bottom line, but also follow their own ideas of what's fun and therefore worth doing. In the 3 big games last year they estimate that millions of paintballs were fired, I saw the number(I'll edit it in when I remember where I saw it), but they're doing fine without speedball and the extra refs that are required and so forth.
Rob
Hey, that's how you stay in business. And it sounds like they've got a nice arrangement here, having a friend run the speedball aspect so they don't have to. Additional offerings without much additional cost.
BlindeSeher is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Central