-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (
-   -   Building A Regulator (

Grimm 01-06-2010 02:17 AM

Building A Regulator
Here is one of the build logs I've been promising for a few months now. I ended up with a regulator that had a damaged body and needed repair. It turned out the damage was irreparable, and it kind of went from there. This project ended up being a bit more involved than I expected, and proved to be a valuable learning experience...

Before beginning, I drew up some plans to give me an idea of where I was heading, throughout the course of the project the plans became a little more detailed and specific until I eventually ended up with this...

I started off by turning the top section of the reg to rough dimensions, boring out the inside, and drilling the internal airway. I added an o-ring seat and tapped the hole.

On the top of the body (after cutting the male ASA threads with a single point tool) I drilled into the top of said male end, and ran into my first complication...

Rather than using an end mill as I had originally planned, i got lazy and just used a standard drill bit... then proceeded to overshoot my depth and punch into the internal air chamber :bang:

my solution to this was drilling the hole to size, threading it, and making up a plug to seal it

Grimm 01-06-2010 02:18 AM

After fixing my screw up, the next task was to teach myself how to cut internal thread, single point, in a blind hole... I was fairly happy with the end result. (I do consider them sub-par, but for a self taught first attempt; they came out decent)

finally, I had to drill the connecting airways and the inlet holes in the side of the body

with the exception of external milling and polishing to be determined at a later date, the reg upper portion was complete.

Grimm 01-06-2010 02:19 AM

After getting this far into the project, it seemed only logical that I finish it off with a new lower reg body.

It has now been assembled and tested, and is preforming well. over the next little while it will get polished and the lower half will be anodized.

here is the (mostly) finished product on my Series 5

tencent 01-06-2010 02:23 AM

what kind of reg was this?

btw.. thanks alot.. I am looking at my handy dry erase board and now I feel it must be replaced as it looks weak and useless next to yours.. I hope you are happy.. unless thats like drawing paper in some kind of easel?

BigOldSkool 01-06-2010 02:37 AM

Bob Long torpedo from the looks of it.

Grimm 01-06-2010 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigOldSkool (Post 1112607)
Bob Long torpedo from the looks of it.

Correct, I was going to re-body one of my palmers stabs in brass, but this one got done first out of necessity.

oldironmudder 01-06-2010 10:16 AM

Very very nice!!

How much for a brass Torpedo? I can supply the internals.

desertT1 01-06-2010 10:36 AM

Very nice job on that. I especially impressed at the drawing with how clean it is, but yeah the brass is nice too. :p I know what you mean about single pointing a blind internal hole. My first internal single point was blind as well with my view being blocked 25% of the time, very nerve racking even after a successful test piece.