mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

PGP semi magazine problems...

Alright, I'm using a newer style PG and a PT extreme clip (aluminum) I tried my way to attache the clip to no avail... just a head ache. Do you guys have any suggestions for how to attache this? I'll send it out if I really have to but I want it to look nice.

I'm even tempted to JB weld it after powdercoat... thats how desperate I am...

-Kris "Butch" Gross
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

The easiest way would probably be to get some one to machine you a mounting system similiar to what is used on a PT. Have it made of of brass and solder it on. That or you could have a brass rail made to be soldered on the barrel, then put set-screws in to attach the two.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Hmm, I was trying to avoid soldering it... I had tapped the back of the PT extreme clip 9where the holes already exist) for 10/32 and mounging 2 small pieces of brass pipe to the body, thus clip removal would be just turn an allen key or 2, which would be rather nice imo, plus no parts damaging others.

Kidney, If I sent the body and clip could you mount two small hollow cylinders that the screws would go through? I may not be describing that very well... Anyway If I make a mount would you be able to solder it for me since i haven't a clue what solder to use and very limited time that i can solder (class only). Or could you recommend a flux, and a solder thats strong yet can be done using a propane torch 9have many of those).

Sorry for all the questions again... but I spent .5 hrs trying to solder the mounting cylinders onto the body using an aceteline (sp) torch and jewelers "easy" solder.

Thanks again!

-Kris "Butch" gross
Old 04-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Yeah...id be willing to help you out.

Shoot me a PM and we can work out the details....looking at my pt sring feed and PGP now and I think it would be easily done.

-Jake

p.s. I can fix or re-solder anything you've previously done also.

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
Old 04-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

I just talked with a friend of mine that does this sort of thing for a living. He suggested regular copper pipe solder. Says melting point is 420* F... I think I can get that with an aceteline torch (sp) I would think... they run at 1,000* +. I'm gonna give it another shot and if it doesn't work step 2 will be box it up and send your way
Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Cool...I use a MAPP torch for all my soldering. Your oxy/acetaline torch will cut steel. So I think you'll be good.

-Jake

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
Old 04-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Didn't know it could do that.... hmm
Old 04-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Well couldn't wait till class on Monday to do the soldering, so i used my propane torch. Worked great. The solder joints while loaded with solder, are actually soldered.... just need some metal working now. Only 1 solder joint till project can fire, the 4-way mount if I decide to not make my one 4-way that is.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions