mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

View Poll Results: Pick your priority for the gun
Efficiency 74 48.37%
Recoil 15 9.80%
Weight 26 16.99%
Size 28 18.30%
ROF 12 7.84%
Completely unique 80 52.29%
Retrofit 14 9.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

MCB community project - Open Source Gun build

Let's get this thing going finally.

What do people want in a paintball gun designed by, built by, and made for MCB members? The premise of the original thread was an electropneumatic, semi-automatic, relatively simple in nature, left open for customization in terms of milling and accessories, inexpensive, and the design/drawings able to be shared completely with the community for upgrades, evolution, and accessories.

There are a few big questions to answer before anything, mostly dealing with what members want the most from a new gun. The most obvious traits that people might prioritize in some manner are efficiency, weight, recoil, ROF, size, and price. There are often trade offs in each of these traits, so we need to prioritize to aid in picking a design to run with.

I've posted a few designs we could use for the project as themselves or as a starting point, but we by no means have to use those. We can start from scratch, or use a design that anybody else comes up with. The more unique it is the less likely it is that we will infringe on existing patents as well. That, and it's just plain cool to have a gun that is actually limited in existence and not just a "1 of 25" ano job.

Main points of discussion/contention:

Peripheral standardization
  • I would say Cocker barrels for their ready availability and relative ease of machining the body to accept them, but discuss away.
  • Feedneck threading? AKA threading is robust, and nearly identical to Cocker threaded barrels meaning only one tap set is needed by the machinist, but there are others that are more readily available or that people have some affinity towards.
  • Standard fore-grip location for a regulator with standard ASA threading. Seems obvious enough, but someone may have a strong argument for some other fashion.

Overall construction
  • Completely new body and frame that accepts standard components?
  • Retrofit design into an existing body to keep costs down (but limits the uniqueness of the gun and will severely limit mechanical functionality options)?
  • 6061-T6 aluminum. I can appreciate the brass fetish, but it really leaves very little room for milling afterward and severely limits some other mechanical design aspects without using solid blocks of brass which will get very expensive very quickly. And no reason that a brass tube gun can't be community gun 2.
  • Anodized or other? Should probably be case by case, but bulk purchasing of the finishing might force them all one type to start with.

This is a community project, everybody involved has the right to voice their opinion about it. Not everybody will be 100% satisfied with what happens (at least one person will feel miffed that their favorite barrel threading wasn't chosen), but major decisions should be made by consensus, and hopefully everybody will be generally pleased with the outcome. Any specific questions, advice, insight, designs, services you can offer, or criticism, please come forward with it and help this be the best community project it can be.

References:
Original Thread
Rat's Nest (lots of paintball patents within)
Marker animations

Last edited by y0da900; 04-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
I am A.W.E.S.O.M.-O

we could do an off set of an EVIL-M out of a merlin extrusion. The big talk has always been a closed bolt electro, we could update the shocker design...
G-man75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

lol, if SP ever comes back they'll try to sue your *** off for even mentioning the Shocker...

I think this is a great idea and will try to lend whatever opinions I can!

My cell # is 405.429.9002 if you want to contact me more quickly...
astroturf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

PBN has an Evil-M project going on already.

An update to which Shocker, there are 3 of them. The original stacked tube closed bolt, the unreleased inline closed bolt spool valve called the Legion Shocker (similar to my closed bolt Ion), and the current open-bolt balanced spool valve.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I'm still in shock that MCB is building a gun, and it's going to need batteries.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Mega Z for sale: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...el-mega-z.html
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnphantom View Post
I'm still in shock that MCB is building a gun, and it's going to need batteries.
Almost any gun that "needs" batteries can be run just fine mechanically with a pulse valve.

Nothing saying it has to be an electro either, that was just what seemed to be the intent in the original thread.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I'm not complaining or trying to put down thw project in any way (my Viking loves batteries). I stayed with the oringinal thread for a while. Just not what I would have expected is all I'm saying.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnphantom View Post
I'm not complaining or trying to put down thw project in any way (my Viking loves batteries). I stayed with the oringinal thread for a while. Just not what I would have expected is all I'm saying.
Nish... I'll let the cat out of the bag... a little.

I have something that I'm working on that I've already talked to Carter about... it does not use batteries. That's all I will say at this point as it is still just sketches on paper at this point... I don't have a machinist... I don't have prices.. I don't have milling patterns or ano colors.... It's an idea that I'm starting to put together. It's beyond the "I should design a gun" and is moving into the measurement and design phase.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
Oh no the secret MCB mod society is designing a weapon to destroy us all

I'm surely not in the market for another gun any time soon, but I will keep an eye on all these projects, like I often do, and if I have anything I can help you guys with, which is rare, I'll offer it up.

Good luck guys.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rithunder916

I would be more than willing to help out in anyway I could!

I would love to see a poppet styled marker, that did not use batteries. Something pneu-framed, and something that would be very simple to make with existing parts. I do think the spyder platform would be best, as the bodies are easily available, barrels can be found quickly and easily, everyone has one sitting around somewhere, and they are cheap to pick up.

I myself am a huge fan of the closed bolt design. So something that works with that would be awesome!

For me, I would need to have the marker highly customizable, and I have been looking for a wood ball tatical marker that I could convert into other forms easily. I personally have been tinkering with the idea of a bulpup style marker for some time.

I was thinking of making a pneumatic timmy style marker. (no eye's or electronics). Then thought to myself it would be nice to bring back a GOOD closed bolt design. So that's where I stand. I want a closed bolt design, pneumaticly triggered (fast without electronics) that's light and customizable.

Mike

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions