mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #101 (permalink)
SPPL/UWL Veteran

Well, even slowed down, I'd hate to try and hand-load a FS round in there..

Picked up the parts to make my ion mechanical (in the open bolt configuration)... one step closer.
Lomarandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #102 (permalink)
MCB Member

Same trigger valve can be used in a closed bolt conversion, I just don't have kits ready for sale yet.

The bolt is very easily disconnected from the valve cycling, you could do bolt action for first strike with this valve no problem.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #103 (permalink)
SPPL/UWL Veteran

Exactly my thinking

And true, bolt action would be cake.
Lomarandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #104 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm going to try to get a chance to build a rough prototype of the frame with wood and plastic (hey, aluminum plate 3/4" thick large enough to do a rough fit out is expensive). No body to mount it to, but it will at least give me a good idea if it is comfortable and proportioned correctly. Shouldn't be too bad considering the general shape of the frame is based on a combination of an AGD Intelliframe, an Ion frame, and a 45 Angel frame.

I also bought a set of 15/16-20 bottoming taps (a touch larger than the recommended GH7 taps, but should work fine), so hopefully a body won't be too far in the future either. I can't bore a full length body on my lathe, so I'm going to make a breech end insert that is epoxied into place in a 1" ID aluminum tube.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #105 (permalink)
depot damager

Can't wait to see it.
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #106 (permalink)
MCB Member

Some excellent news for some of you (well, all of you I suppose, but some of you will care about this specifically a bit more). I finished building my newest generation of closed bolt Ion conversion kit over the last couple of days. As I've updated that kit's geometry, I have been updating the geometry for this project as well (you know, since they are functionally identical if slightly different lengths). The newest kit is operating at ~105 psi and getting between 280 and 300 FPS. I have been able to do testing with my shop compressor with the output set at 105 psi with results matching those of using CO2 regulated to what my gauge reads as just over 100 psi. The newest generation has a larger ID on the bolt, a larger bore through the power tube, and the piston has been rebalanced back to that of my original proof of concept prototype.

What does all this mean? As the surface area pushing the bolt forward is smaller (due to the larger ID), the forces pushing it closed are decreased meaning it is gentler on paint, and has a slight delay in closing. Well, what advantage does that have? I am now able to remove the hopper, place a few balls in the feedneck, and shoot no problem (only tested thus far with reballs, but no pinching or shot skipping is a solid indicator that paint will be safe). This is with the Ion board set at its highest dwell, but is very promising in terms of being able to shoot this system mechanically with a Revvy or gravity hopper.

The piston being rebalanced means that the valve is opening faster, which should hopefully mitigate some of the issues seen when using a pneumatic trigger on this system, but a QEV will still strongly be recommended for that method. It also helps improve efficiency.

No change in chamber volume from the last generation, but the pressure has gone from ~130 to ~105 while still being able to achieve playable velocities of 280 FPS+. As this is a fixed volume dump chamber, that equates to a decent efficiency increase. I never got numbers on the last generation, but it is moving in the direction we want. While a low operating pressure is not in and of itself indicative of an efficient gun (well, this gun is, but that is besides the point), being able to run that low means that you are also able to run your tank to the last drop.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #107 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Is this designed to be a drop in kit for the ion? I'm interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #108 (permalink)
MCB Member

This project is for a completely new gun, but I am working on an Ion retrofit as well. It is not as refined as this will be and will require a few minor cuts to be made to the plastic Ion body (would be impossible without an entirely new body). But yes, it will be available as a conversion kit as well.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #109 (permalink)
DSL is new here

wait you can just put the balls in the feedneck now?! you got rid of the blow back I see.

and from my calculations thats a 20% increase in efficiency. And you were getting 2000 shots off a 20 once already so that would mean you should be getting like 2400 shots. hot damn. I really really need to find a cheap ion board so I can get you efficiency numbers from the old version.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #110 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
wait you can just put the balls in the feedneck now?! you got rid of the blow back I see.

and from my calculations thats a 20% increase in efficiency. And you were getting 2000 shots off a 20 once already so that would mean you should be getting like 2400 shots. hot damn. I really really need to find a cheap ion board so I can get you efficiency numbers from the old version.
I've got an Ion doing nothing in my gun bin. anyone need parts from it?
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions