mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

I had been thinking Modular Closed Bolt, but Monotube works also. Given that the premise behind the body and the nature of the spacers is it being modular.

It'll be generically left beefy so people can do whatever they want with it from leaving it a giant tube to going nuts and having something as organic looking as a Karta.

We can design a variety of frames for it, since they drawings are all going to be shared openly people will be free to have whatever frame built they want. Just for the sake of the masses, the initial run will most likely use a 45 frame simply for the tried and true aspect.

The frame I'm working on right now is also completely modular in nature. The trigger, guard, and actuation mounting are removable as an assembly letting you swap seamlessly between single and dual trigger, electro and mech just by replacing that assembly.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to left handed

CCM Fan
I see. That does make sense, would the body be able to be made in say...a garage shop with the correct measurements, drill bits, and taps? I sorta just want a brass tube to shoot paint with M.C.B engraved on the side. That leads me to another idea, mill it for windows?!

left handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Millrat

Looks great, I may be able to help out with anodizing once everything gets up and running. But as for looks, I'd honestly like to see something classy, no fancy milling, etc... Something like an Automag.
O'Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Everything but the frame could be made with relative ease in a home shop with a mill and a lathe. Anything short of that, not likely. I've tried to design as much as possible that will be doable by the majority of the home shop guys on here.

Putting it in brass would also be quite simple as the modular body is designed around 1" ID aluminum tubing. Brass tubing of a close enough size is available that these components would work inside of with minor dimensional alterations. Hell, I'll come up with a set of drawings that fit this into readily available brass tubing as well as drawings for a breech end you can solder into the tubing.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to left handed

CCM Fan
I'm thinking brass sleeve with windows to see the aluminum under, then the aluminum milled for windows to see the bolt/piston moving back and forth.

Another quick idea that popped in my head: powerfeed, but not in the traditional sense. Have the hole drilled into the body at an angle (like a left or right feed, or even warp left or right and just mod the powerfeed part itself), then attach a powerfeed that isn't as long so that the hopper will end up as close to center as possible. And while we're at it, let's remove the need for an elbow all together! Ego feedneck mod the end of the powerfeed so all is easy! Oh how I wish I had a mill and lathe.

left handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Here's what I've come up with so far for a frame. The trigger group, including the trigger guard, is removable and can be swapped out for a single trigger if desired. It's shown as a mechanical frame here with an SMAV-3 mounted to the trigger group, but there is also a bracket to mount a microswitch. The front ASA is removable allowing for different options up front such as 15 degree regs or none at all for bottom fed setups.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

More images of the modular nature of the frame. All of these are shown set up as a mechanical option and not electronic, but the bracket that holds the SMAV-3 is simply swapped for a bracket that holds a microswitch.

The trigger groups lock into the frame by screwing in at the top of the group (as seen in the image in the previous post) and by a pin going through both the frame and the trigger group right below where the trigger contacts the SMAV-3.

Frame with double trigger group installed.

Frame with single trigger group installed.

Double trigger group.

Single trigger group.

We can't let this project die - whether it's brass or aluminum, mech or electro............
Old 10-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Yoda, move the piviot point directly backwards about 1/8 of an inch and you've got very good trigger geometry. And you might want to change the length between the pivot and the smav-3. Mine was pretty had to press and you've got a 1:1.5 motion ratio on that setup. I'd think a 1:0.75 would be better to get some speed out of this, of course then you might actually be able to walk the trigger faster than the bolt can cycle.

I'm still looking for a new board to finish my testing because mine doesnt actually shoot all the time.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Those are 1/8" pins for reference, do you think 1/8" is still a good move, or should it be more?

That's one of the crappy trade offs with a lever, you either get a longer pull or a softer pull. No reason I can't design a set that offers each and let people choose.

How many shots do you think you've been able to take with any one of the kits? Have you noticed any deformation in the valve piston right at the main seal? I've got the same piston arrangement in my mechanical aedes valve and it is nicely smushed, but I also accidentally made it with crap grade aluminum from Lowes on a whim. I've been contemplating making the power tube out of Delrin in the hopes that it will give a slight bit and prevent any deformation in the valve tip if any is apparent. It will also be significantly faster to make.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by left handed View Post
Monotube Closed Bolt

High efficiency, built like a tank, comes stock with brass maintube with hibiscus powder coat. True MCB style; I would be interested in one, but price would be a deciding factor.

But the build looks pretty good so far. Make it a little more streamlined maybe? Also, I say we vote on grip frame angles; i.e. 45, 86, 90, Y Grip, Z Grip.

I for one would be interested in a Z/Y grip-esque mechanical semi auto/PA pump with a robust operating system, a reciprocating barrel (if it's easier/cheaper/simpler), running on low pressure, with a center feed or a stock class option.
Go with a phantom style grip setup,and then we will ahve several options of what grip we want to put on it,or is this grip gonna need to house electronics?
Venge is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions