mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
How to feed FS like a pro.

First pic... Everyone likes pics.

I was sitting down, kind of idly pondering something to develop for the Hopper/Feed build off.

(I wanted that 20 bucks, and I was willing to do anything to get it...!)

I nixed the micro-agitated hopper idea because everyone was going to do that. (At least 2 people have entered that idea by today.)

I wanted to maybe build a 10 rnd tube for FS. But someone else was already doing a really nice spring feed. And I didn't want to do anything "ten round tube" with Ty's brass 10 round tubes looming on the horizon. Probably the most innovative product that's I've seen in development on MCB...

So I sat down, took some FS rounds, and a Q-loader... I decided that I was just going to find the big problem with using the latter to feed the former, redesign one part, and then make it work.

I ended up redesigning the center screw. I made the threads a lot larger, so that they will support the entire fin section, to keep it from cocking while feeding. I also changed the threads per inch, so that an entire FS round will fit between the threads. And I changed the minor diameter, so that the number of rounds being indexed would match the threads on the inner body tube. (I wish I knew Q-pod nomenclature better.)

Here's some sample rounds hand fed into the subassembly, to prove it doesn't bind up anywhere.

After assembly and ejecting them. I kinda forget that putting the receiver on makes them shoot out.

The receiver had to be dremmeled square. And so did the cap on the pod.

Capacity is down to 80 rounds. But FS rounds are sold in tubes of, 8, so you're golden.

Enjoy guys. If there's enough interest, I'll be selling beta products for tinkerers in January. (I got a fortune cookie that said that I should concentrate more on business and less on girls.)
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Go nuts, guys.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
This is amazing.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Here's the internals. Sorry for the delay, I had to do some disassembly on the pod. And I had some nelson stuff that needed cleared off my work space first.

Top is new part. Bottom is old part. Left bottom is FS round. Ignore the drawings on the paper. They're not relevant to this project.

Top is new part. Bottom is old part. The texture is the resolution of the manufacturing process. It will need sanded out before the production version gets made. The texture doesn't slow or obstruct feeding in the prototype.

This is how the old auger handled the FS round...

This is how the new auger handles the FS round.

A real man's threads!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Holy Guacamole!
I want one of those! or four... (got four old qpods, saved for parts)
It would fit perfectly my Bison project!
Can the FS rounds, be put the other way? pointing into the pod, rather than out?
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Working on that. The problem is that the fins get hung up on the phone-dial. It seams that sometimes they feed fine. But it only takes one to jam.

Like I said earlier. If there's enough interest, then I'll be selling these as a "beta" in development. Hopefully, I can take advantage of some crowdsourcing to make this everything we ever wanted.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
how does the q-loader hose handle the FS rounds? i could see that being a huge problem

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
It doesn't. Either we will need to come up with a new hose solution, or the receiver will have to mount directly to the feed port.

I'm planning on making a special feedneck for my Karnivor that will have a screw to mount the CMS receiver directly to the feedneck. Of course, the feedneck will be First Strike shaped, internally.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
Not to rain on the parade but, having used a Q-Loader on several markers, I would NOT recommend them, not for regular paint, not for First Strike rounds. They're more trouble than they're worth.
Yeah, well ive been using qloader essentially since they were released (4, 5 years?), and had no issues what so ever.

Go look at reviews. Like most paintball products, it either works for ya or it isnt.

Anyhow, i never using the hose anyway (prefer either pipes, or nothing at all)
so that wouldnt be an issue for me at least.

Alpha what kind of pricing you have in mind for the beta product?

The fins get hung up, when the rounds loaded the other way? or in any way?
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I think this might be best without a hose, qloader feeding directly into the marker, like the Calico gun.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions