mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #121 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

looking at the latest cad rendering I would estimate those molds would cost between 5k and 15k for each part...that would be out of steel with a 500k part lifetime minimum. But then you would be looking at just a dollar or three per part. You might be able to get away with aluminum molds but those are inserts most of the time and you wont own the cheaper aluminum mold typically.

also for the motor control you need to look into using a small board with a pic microchip (probably a 16 series) to do pulse width modulation control on the motor to get the speed and everything right...its easy as **** and can be hand soldered with dip and through hole components..hope this helps
souz4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #122 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by souz4402 View Post
looking at the latest cad rendering I would estimate those molds would cost between 5k and 15k for each part...that would be out of steel with a 500k part lifetime minimum. But then you would be looking at just a dollar or three per part. You might be able to get away with aluminum molds but those are inserts most of the time and you wont own the cheaper aluminum mold typically.

also for the motor control you need to look into using a small board with a pic microchip (probably a 16 series) to do pulse width modulation control on the motor to get the speed and everything right...its easy as **** and can be hand soldered with dip and through hole components..hope this helps
Out of curiosity, what are you basing the mold costs on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #123 (permalink)
The C.O.

Haven't read all the posts here, but all the pumpers in my area have wanted a good, cheap motorized hopper for a couple years now, so this caught my eye. I just wonder if it's overkill to make basically a Rotor Jr? Speed is no longer an issue with pump - I shoot an old revvy and never skip a beat - even autotrigger. We've often thought a small revvy run by sound activation might be just the ticket - say a 100rd-er.

I'd think from a design & production standpoint, this would be MUCH easier and cheaper to put together and therefore much easier to sell.

So those of you that use a rotor on a pump - are there any issues with double feeds from the force loading?

All that being said, if the price were reasonable and it functions well - I can see you selling quite a few of these - including some in my area!

Nice work so far & look forward to seeing the finished product!
loukyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #124 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you basing the mold costs on?
Ive never seen a decent detailed steel mold cost less than 5k. Also I have not seen anything that is small like this exceed 15k. I am not in the business of mold making or injection molding but I do use their services and have quoted a lot of stuff. If you go aluminum and dumb down all the detail maybe someone will cut a mold for $2k that is good for 10k parts. Also keep in mind that this mold cost is per part of the assembly. So Im talking probably 7k for each the top half and the feedneck portion. Maybe 5k for the flat part. Then a solid 10-12k for the main lower half. Please dont shoot the messenger.
souz4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #125 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by souz4402 View Post
Ive never seen a decent detailed steel mold cost less than 5k. Also I have not seen anything that is small like this exceed 15k. I am not in the business of mold making or injection molding but I do use their services and have quoted a lot of stuff. If you go aluminum and dumb down all the detail maybe someone will cut a mold for $2k that is good for 10k parts. Also keep in mind that this mold cost is per part of the assembly. So Im talking probably 7k for each the top half and the feedneck portion. Maybe 5k for the flat part. Then a solid 10-12k for the main lower half. Please dont shoot the messenger.
injection molding is expensive no arguements about that. but lets cross that bridge when it arrives. need to finish the prototyping first.
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #126 (permalink)

I agree. I'm excited to see your prototype.
Bobbitay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #127 (permalink)
Banned

What's an "ish" ?
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #128 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
What's an "ish" ?
An "Ish": The quintessential unit of professional laziness.

In truth i didnt feel like doing all the math to get the interior volume and figureing it out. but it should be roughly 100 or so rounds. plus or minus 20. I will be more accurate come prototype time.

Last edited by Droop; 06-23-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #129 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
What's an "ish" ?
Etymology 2From the suffix -ish.

[edit] Adverbish (not comparable)

1.(colloquial) somewhat, reasonably, fairly
"How was the film?" "It was good, ish."
The exam went well, ish.
2.(colloquial) about, approximately  [quotations ▼]
1974, Kingsley Amis, Ending up‎, page 11: 'With luck, about twelve.' 'Ah,' said Bernard. 'Twelve-thirty. Ish.'2007, Marne Davis Kellogg, Friends in High Places, page 283: How old are you? Fifty-ish?" / "Ish." / The color flared in her cheeks but she didn't look as though she were going to shoot me.
[edit] Synonyms around, near, nearly, almost, about, loosely, roughly, close to
[edit]
Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #130 (permalink)
Fire power

so why not just attach a 9volt revi to a 100ish round loader like DM did. It worked great and still does as far as I know. Or does it have to be force feed?

If I cant find a pic I will just make one. I want one for my epic anyway.

Last edited by Hill160881; 06-27-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Hill160881 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions