mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   X Valve Machining (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/161758-x-valve-machining.html)

magman79 05-13-2011 09:01 AM

X Valve Machining

I have an AGD X Valve that looks like someone used a 2 foot pipe wrench to take the air fitting off. It took the anno off about 1/2 inch around in a circle. Plus it is all scratched up. I was wondering if it would be possible to have the black anno. machined off and the laser etched to make it look like a classic valve. The x valve I have is about ten thousands smaller than a normal valve. With the machining would it make it to small and not line up in the body?

BigOldSkool 05-13-2011 09:26 AM

You answered your own question..

It will be to small if you machine it off.. but if you lightly sand the anno off and polish it (not like a goon) it may be fine

SockMonkey 05-13-2011 02:45 PM

I'd be careful even lightly sanding it. the tolerances are quite small.

-=ArchAngel=- 05-13-2011 11:43 PM

+1 to sanding it off lightly.

alpha434 05-14-2011 12:13 AM

The advantage of machining it is that you can take off the high spots and leave the lows in order to maintain your tolerance. It's not the best, cosmetically. But it's a great compromise for some cosmetic improvement and maintaining your tolerances.

Another viable option is cutting a groove over the bad surface, and leaving material at either end to maintain the spacing. You can actually go pretty nuts with this: Spider! does his valves finned.

Meanwhile, sanding takes material fairly evenly off of all the dimensions it touches. Which means that you're just as likely to lose your tolerance, but you have less control over whether you do.

My advice? Take it to an expert machinist and have them do it. Should cost around 30 bucks... And it's the most elegant and most accurate solution.

diesel_fireman2001 05-14-2011 12:47 AM

post pics, I agree with alpha on having grooves milled to hide the scrstches.

magman79 05-14-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha434 (Post 1830971)
The advantage of machining it is that you can take off the high spots and leave the lows in order to maintain your tolerance. It's not the best, cosmetically. But it's a great compromise for some cosmetic improvement and maintaining your tolerances.

Another viable option is cutting a groove over the bad surface, and leaving material at either end to maintain the spacing. You can actually go pretty nuts with this: Spider! does his valves finned.

Meanwhile, sanding takes material fairly evenly off of all the dimensions it touches. Which means that you're just as likely to lose your tolerance, but you have less control over whether you do.

My advice? Take it to an expert machinist and have them do it. Should cost around 30 bucks... And it's the most elegant and most accurate solution.

That does sound like a good idea. Being aluminum I wonder just how much they can take off before compromising the integrity of the valve. Thanks

By the way alpha, nice picture of Jen. Brad must be crazy!

Seymour 05-14-2011 09:48 AM

I thought that much pressure through milled aluminum was bad.

alpha434 05-14-2011 01:41 PM

There are about a dozen things wrong with that statement, Symour. I actually don't even know where to start.