mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   fsr dmr idea (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/163311-fsr-dmr-idea.html)

chadders 05-27-2011 11:57 AM

fsr dmr idea

i have an idea for a firststrike/paint shell feed marker but i don't have any way to render it and i can't work out what style valve to use, (i.e. a pre-existing one or air charge in the shell or a new style).

i can't tell if it should be a plane jane bolt action, a semi auto mech of a type or if the air charge is in the shell an airsoft style valve(basicly an AEG gearbox to load and fire the shells).

my current idea is to run a bipod on the front and a mono pod out of the grip(think DSR-1 style) and a dogleg style stock to allow it to be sighted in with a mask for use with first strike rounds. my only plan for the mags is that the mags can fit into already avalible pouches(even if its not a mag/pod pouch)

the reason i call this the dmr project is: dmr stands for desagnated marksman rifle witch seems more accurate than sniper rifle. if i can make it work i may consider selling some if people want them.

if there are any typos ect please tell me so i can edit this post to be more readable.

Matt Ribble 05-27-2011 01:19 PM

Easiest to make from scratch is a bolt action stacked tube poppet. The seer is much more forgiving than attempting to do a semi auto.

As far as loading, I think the easiest way to load it is via a straight magazine, so there's no play in the FS rounds (misfeeds/chops sound expensive). If you wanted to make the equivalent of a real rifle that fires FS-loaded solo shells then that is pretty awsome and I wish I had won the lottery to be able to feed it.

What kind of tools do you have access to? What kind of budget? Do you want to make it look spot on like a DSR1? Alot of guys prefer wood because its hand workable and easy to fix oopsies.

chadders 05-27-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ribble (Post 1850141)
Easiest to make from scratch is a bolt action stacked tube poppet. The seer is much more forgiving than attempting to do a semi auto.

As far as loading, I think the easiest way to load it is via a straight magazine, so there's no play in the FS rounds (misfeeds/chops sound expensive). If you wanted to make the equivalent of a real rifle that fires FS-loaded solo shells then that is pretty awsome and I wish I had won the lottery to be able to feed it.

What kind of tools do you have access to? What kind of budget? Do you want to make it look spot on like a DSR1? Alot of guys prefer wood because its hand workable and easy to fix oopsies.

the round would be in a shell to fight any mis feeding+ the shells if i whent self contained would be made affordably.
look wise im unsure but not a true copy of the dsr1, wood parts are an idea.
tool wise i would end up getting it made by a machien shop else were for safety/ease

Matt Ribble 05-27-2011 11:56 PM

If you are going to get a reciever/etc completely custom machined with all the CAD work/etc done from start to finish you are going to be looking down the barrel of about 3000$ After everything is said and done.

CNC machining time isn't cheap. 60+ an hour is not uncommon if it disrupts normal machine time/has complicated fixturing

The CAD guy, even cheap college level workers, are still going to charge 20+ an hour and they have to take it from concept to completion. It's not a small job. Unless you know 100% that your napkin drawings will work and are correct you can expect them to take a couple weeks of doing this.

Then there's materials, 6061 alu is pretty cheap. Magazines can be bent sheet metal (maybe, based on the design) as I don't think the AEG stuff will cut it.

So to put some perspective on it :
-Figure out how the magazine works
-Figure out how your trigger group works
-Figure out what kind of valve and how thats going to go
-Figure out if you're using goblin shells...and then figure out how you plan to do a custom extractor...

You see where I'm going with this.

chadders 05-28-2011 04:51 AM

yea i see were you going this is why im asking mcb for help as its easyer that way then makeing something that won't work. my plan for mags was ether plastic or maybe bent steel(or a cheep but strong metal), once i get the gun rendered up ill be able to get a fair quote from a machining shop i hope