mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
Hawaiian shirts, brah. If were talking about tiger stripe colored Hawaiian shirts or Hawaiian shirts infused with tigerstripe goodness, then let me know what you had in mind.
Didn't know what to call it, haha.
Either or would get my interest. A tigerstripe Hawaiian shirt or a tigerstripe-colored Hawaiian shirt would be nice to rock. I'd prefer the former than a latter, but I'm not picky.

Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
Hawaiian shirts, brah. If were talking about tiger stripe colored Hawaiian shirts or Hawaiian shirts infused with tigerstripe goodness, then let me know what you had in mind.

Links to said companies? (I know I'll need to put some work into researching this, but if anyone already has some info I'd appreciate it) When you say camo Hawaiian shirts, do you mean camouflage shirts with Hibiscus print on top, or do you mean a traditional hawaiian print in more mute/drab/camo colors? flecktarn and multicam are going to be reeeeeeeeally challenging to do with rubber stamps. Are you thinking hibiscus printed on flecktarn and multicam or just straight up camo camp shirts?

Lets make it happen. How do you want them to look?

My skills are not in the textile/sewing industry. I have visual art skills and I can carve stamps and stamp onto pre-existing clothing. What do you want the stamp(s) to look like? What colors should the stamps be inked in? What color(s) do you want the background (fabric of shirt, etc.) to be?
I'm pretty sure that companies that make custom hawaiian shirts do it with a dye sublimation process. Not the traditional way with stamps.

For more info on the companies that do that work, google "custom hawaiian shirts". Pretty straightforward.

I don't know about other guys. But I'd be interested in just the plain camo patterns on those nice lightweight shirts. Some of us would definitely play in them... I think it would make the perfect pit or base shirt.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
yeah I'd say make sure you getting the lightweight shirts. That's part of what made hawaiian shirts so comfortable, to the point people stopped caring what they looked like fashion wise, it's all about comfort.
So custom designed "hawaiian" shirts, not custom designs on crappy shirts with collars and buttons.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

this is good. I like hearing everyone's opinions and ideas. Lightweight....Check. Definitely agree on that one.

Part of my orginal idea of doing stamps myself was to keep cost down and to allow people the opportunity to choose what they wanted to have printed (say their favorite camo shirt).

But, I've taken alpha434 suggestion and it looks like doing custom Hawaiian printed shirts is a definite possibility. The ones doc Zox posted a linked to... were on the expensive side, even for custom printed shirts. Also, it looks like they just want to embroider it for you (it does have a nice tiki mask). From the printing places I'm looking at, I'm hoping that the sales price to the customer (that's you!) will be around $50-55. So this is what I'm leaning towards: tri-color traditional style Hibiscus print in olive/tan/brown camo colors (mute, drab, whathaveyou).

I guess I've presented all of these options/scenarios because I am picky (and I expect others to be as picky as myself) and I want to make as many people happy with these shirts as possible.

Keep the opinions and preferences coming! At some point, I will try to create a consensus from this thread and make a poll if there are a couple of options. I know everyone has different ideas, but I'd like to try to create something that satisfies the most people possible.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Come up with a design and have them made in china.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

working on a seamless repeating hibiscus and banana leaf design right now. still in the black & white phase. will probably be olive and tan colored. will post pics of design when it is finished and my scanner is working.

lets hear some more ideas. or just tell them to me after I'm done designing, and I can start over.

current plan (with enough interest): design, get design approval from teh masses and have these printed on shirts.

any preference on shirt material: cotton or rayon? my vote is for cotton. Rayon maybe lighter, but feels gross against the skin.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Backard Engineer Special

Whatever you use, for the love of god, make sure it breathes, and is lightweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
The prototype is usually the hardest - then come the refinements then the ooohs and the aaaahs but they are always preceded by the !#@!@#! and the !#!!#@!% and the GAAAAAAHS
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
As it was said to me before. Loud guns. Loud shirts. And loud mouths. So isn't a earth tone shirt. Not following the second part? It is a lot more fun plunking someone with some brass when I am wearing a glowing red shirt and they say I snuck up on them then wearing BDUs and crawling thru a ditch. Its more embarasing to get taken out by some one with dressed like a clown with a pump then someone in camo shooting 20bps. I think I will start wearing safty vests in neon green soon just for the added effect oh well what do I know.

Playing 2/10 takes balls, but only a few
http://210paintball.com/ home of the 2 man 10 ball games
MCB Feedback
Morhaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm in for a shirt!

What about a lighter shade of beige as a base color with a single vertical stripe, 4-5" wide, in a darker earth tone (olive and the like)? Could use the same pattern for the stripe that you're already working on, hibiscus and banana leaves sounds good.

Edit: it isn't a very loud design like Morhaughn suggested, but would it significantly increase the price to have 2 options? One in muted earth-tones, camo like, and the other a bright color on a lighter background? Keep the graphic the same, just change color option.

Also, agreement here, comfort is key. Lightweight cotton would probably be best combo of weight, breathability, and price. I have a couple camp shirts from REI made of a moisture wicking material, and it's by far the most comfortable shirt I own, but probably not the right price for these custom shirts.

Last edited by elarson1423; 07-02-2011 at 04:43 AM.
elarson1423 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions