mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eating Iranian Happy Cake

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Twistlock 12 gram changer?

So, while on post, I had some time to think. I'm a radio tech, and military comm systems use alot of various bayonet (twistlock) connectors, BNC being the most common connector for RF cables.
BNC connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does this have to do with a 12 gram changer?

Well, what if you replaced the threads on a 12 gram changer with a twistlock? It would be faster than even a fast changer, requiring only a fraction of a turn, yet strong enough to hold a 12 gram in the changer. Some problems I thought of, though, would be:
  • Locking-There would have to be enough elasticity/springyness in the plug and plunger stack or at the face seal to allow the connector to lock, yet not enough to prevent the 12 gram from piercing properly. Is the face seal in, say, a Sheridan elastic enough? Would I have to incorporate a spring/rubber spacer in the plunger rod or another softer rubber washer on top of the face seal to allow this?
  • Bleeding-Another problem I could see would be if there wasn't a way to bleed pressure off before changing 12 grams, the plug/plunger and twelve gram could be propelled out of the changer like a rocket if your grip on the plug slipped. In the bayonet guide, a flat spot or secondary locking point could be incorporated before the slot to remove the plug, to allow pressure to be released, yet preventing the a fore mentioned parts from shooting out the changer. I could see this being the reason twistlock changers weren't/aren't made or at least not common (I've never seen or heard of one).
  • Material deformation- In, say, a Sheridan, if the threads for the 12 gram plug were removed and the bayonet guide cut directly into the bottom tube, I could see over time, the brass of the tube becoming deformed. BNC connectors are usually made of silver/nickel plated brass or silver alloy, yet don't seem to deform over years of use. But those connectors are not submitted to the force of holding back a 12 gram with 800-900psi. Would brass hold up to this abuse or would making a collar out of a harder material (stainless steel) that would thread into the original threads be a better way to go?

Comments? Concerns? Ideas?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
The TPX actually has a bayonet-style twistlock 12 gram plug. It's a double-lock system like you mentioned - it's shaped like two capital L's one above the other - and I'm fairly certain the female portion is steel of some variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I love how DMW douches want so badly to justify their douchocity! I remain steadfast in my position of counterdouche douchebaggery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
It's cool, no one can resist playing with an eightball. They're pretty much the best toy/decision making device/CEO of General Motors, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor
FEAR NOT, FAIR WOMEN, FOR THOU ART SWAG AS F***!
thisissparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Original SWARM

It was tried before as a back bottle screw in version, and also the first version of Palmers Quick Silver used J-slots. Both were replaced by threaded models. J slots weaken and deform more than a full tube threaded plug.
For screw in changers 6-pak is the Fastest ,but a CCI bucket changer is hard to beat.
On 12 gram Sheridans a Fast changer from PPS is probably best,
the Micro CA II is my favorite for a back bottle gun.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
I've porked many

I have a Nelspot clone with one.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Pillage... pics or shens!

If you were to cut the lower tube of a Sheridan for the J slot, and solder a reinforcement around it, that would likely work well. You will need an adjustable spring to tension the 12 gram against the face seal... This is where things get weird. Having just messed with a Quicksilver, I can say... Have fun tuning it in.

I, like everyother airsmith here on MCB, can make the parts and modifications you need.

(Maybe I will build a semi zweiling (double barrel) with this system in it, in August... Just to see if it will work )

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

i like the way that the tpx quick change is set up. the only problem with it is getting it open when there is a bit of co2 left in the cartridge. i put a screw through one of the holes in the side of the cap and cut it off a about 1/2" so that i had something on the cap for leverage. still, if there is co2 left, it can be hard to open. but i still cant complain about only having a 1/4 turn to open it when the co2 is empty.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Pillage... pics or shens!

If you were to cut the lower tube of a Sheridan for the J slot, and solder a reinforcement around it, that would likely work well. You will need an adjustable spring to tension the 12 gram against the face seal... This is where things get weird. Having just messed with a Quicksilver, I can say... Have fun tuning it in.

I, like everyother airsmith here on MCB, can make the parts and modifications you need.

(Maybe I will build a semi zweiling (double barrel) with this system in it, in August... Just to see if it will work )

Ty
I guess I will have to take some pictures then.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I think it's a solution looking for a problem to be honest. I think there's a spectrum of coolness and functionality when it comes to 12 gram changers. Lever changers are awesome but lose a bit of reliability, twist changers are super reliable but kind of boring. From what I've seen of the TPX changer, it's somewhere in the middle...kind of cool and kind of reliable.

I'd much rather have a TPX modded to have a Phantom bucket changer or lever changer. There just seems to be too much concentrated force on twistlocks.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions