mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #51 (permalink)
MCB Member

This gun is currently in my possession now. Last time I tried it out, I was having some major paint breaking issues. It looked to me like the breach section was milled a bit too big, allowing too much wiggle room for the stripper clips. I think this is leading to alignment issues with the barrel. I'm hoping I can shim the breach with some tape just to test it out, then possibly with JB weld as a more permanent fix. Maybe increase the chamfer on the breach of the barrel.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #52 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
This gun is currently in my possession now. Last time I tried it out, I was having some major paint breaking issues. It looked to me like the breach section was milled a bit too big, allowing too much wiggle room for the stripper clips. I think this is leading to alignment issues with the barrel. I'm hoping I can shim the breach with some tape just to test it out, then possibly with JB weld as a more permanent fix. Maybe increase the chamfer on the breach of the barrel.
I've never had an SMG in my hands. However, before I did anything to the gun, I would put a caliper on the stripper clips and make sure they are the right width and not varied, especially if the marker worked fine before.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #53 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

What barrel size is it using? SMGs tended to have massively overbored barrels at the breech, and it would taper down after about an inch or two.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #54 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I've never had an SMG in my hands. However, before I did anything to the gun, I would put a caliper on the stripper clips and make sure they are the right width and not varied, especially if the marker worked fine before.
Well, I only have 1 stripper clip. Running Riot gave me one with the gun so I could get measurements if I couldn't find original clips and had to make some. So far, I haven't been able to find any. No surprise.

Obviously, before any permanent modification I am going to mock up something to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
What barrel size is it using? SMGs tended to have massively overbored barrels at the breech, and it would taper down after about an inch or two.
RR mentioned earlier that it came from .684 ID tube. I'd have to get my calipers to measure the bore at the breach though to gt an idea on the taper/transition.

The issue is either due to the breach block being milled a hair too wide or the barrel not having enough of a taper at the beginning. Everything stems from this: Since the pawl holds the stripper clip at one point near the back surface and the mag spring presses on the end of the clip, you get a torque on the clip. For the frist 3 rounds in a clip, it isn't a big deal since the magazine/breach prevents too much angle. However, by the last round, the angle is significant enough to possibly cause alignment issues with the barrel. See my crude CAD mock ups below.

Two ways to fix it:
1. Reduce the slop between the clips and the breach. Either make the breach tighter or the clips larger.
2. Increase the ID of the barrel breach/taper.

Shimming the breach seems to me to be the easiest given the minimal tools I have available. But I might also be able to use a hand drill to hone out the barrel breach a touch.

Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #55 (permalink)
Ask me about my

would it be possible to cut the pawl slightly to correct for the torque? Not that familiar with the 68s, so it could detrimentally affect the operation.
Designer of the first legit looking ego pump, the EgoP!
BUY IT HERE!!

Tinkerer/ Pump lover
Team Akkadian Paintball Squad
OK D-Day '09 - German 716th IR
FEAR THE TREES!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1067010
Skibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #56 (permalink)

wow. very cool. Could this be done to a 98 custom?

Smiley
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #57 (permalink)
Licensed idiot

Wait... smiley, didn't already do this to a Pro/carb or something out of the Pro series? I remember seeing an awesome vertical clip design from you!

B-17 feedback
B-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I believe it was Bret G
You are correct. He use to have pictures of the gun in the gallery.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #60 (permalink)
MCB Member

68 Special conversion to SMG was done by cutting the receiver to SMG configuration. The feed pawl is delrin. My most sucessful conversion was a 68 Carbine to SMG with a vertical clip. I love playing with that one.

Last edited by BretG; 04-28-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: ggg
BretG is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions