mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Workshop Pumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrewofone View Post
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my calipers anywhere. might have to buy another one.
Okay mate do it as you feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
The flex hones can be had from brush research.
Flex Hone, Cylinder Hone

The BC type 1/2"(12.7mm) in either 800AO or 1200LA is my recommendation. If you're using it to open the bore go 800ao. I gave my 1200la away with the pistols and cylinders.

I had aluminum versions of these cylinders made long ago and instead of either method of detent I used an oring groove right inside the cyl with a metal split ring as the detent. Much easier to mill.
The guy who made them seemed of the opinion that every surface was crucial. I know the aluminum ones worked and indexed well for 10 years of play. The pawl was replaced with a hardened steel copy as well.

Good luck! You'll sell a lot of those cylinders in Delrin, I suspect...

Rob
Hey thank you sir for the flex-hone advice! I think I'm going to take the both to archieve the most better surface condition for the insert barrels. (thinking about honing them again back from annodizing, like LAPCO does) Barrel quality is serious business.

About the cylinder detent...You mean you milled 6 grooves in each housing or one single groove centered to the cyl axis and that opened into the housings?

And I hope I will get a lot of orders so I can make them for the cheaper price!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Inside each of the chambers on the cylinder.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Workshop Pumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Inside each of the chambers on the cylinder.

Rob
Oh okay; nice.

I was thinking; why not replace the split-ring by an o-ring at this moment? It could be smoother, maybe cheaper too; but I might ask if that wouldn't be a bit more expensive than the standard flat ring option.
The older cylinder also had built-in indents inside of each cylinder; gonna ask if it couldn't be easyer as I planned on making the cylinder housings by drilling at 13mm
Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Workshop Pumper

Okay guys time for an update;

MATERIAL! Wants some?

GET SOME!

So here is the project;

-Asked my machinist for making a cylinder prototype; it's OK but a bit pricey; so I wanted to try 3D printing, if it couldn't be cheaper.

I really need a prototype as I'm absolutely not sure of my functionnal dimensions as I took them all with my caliper...

-So called I some 3D printing societies; that wouldn't be cheaper. at all.
*will send cylinder files and blueprints as soon as I can verify my dimensions.

-And then I designed the barrel tonight; hard task; not only because of trying to get reliable measures with my little caliper, but above all to redesign the entire barrel measures, as the 3357 dimensions were scaled up from the 357 (and the Python I guess), but with variable scale ratio!

The barrel is almost complet, just need to design the insert fixation system with the barrel entry o-ring and general design will be done.

Now i'm sending a request for reliable mesurements for the most important of all; I mean:

-Barrel to cylinder among axis
-cylinder axis to valve port among axis

And a few other; will make a plan as I don't know how to name the other elements

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
"Fidget"

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansteam View Post

MATERIAL! Wants some?

GET SOME!

http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/13/76/22/54/render10.jpg

So here is the project;

-Asked my machinist for making a cylinder prototype; it's OK but a bit pricey; so I wanted to try 3D printing, if it couldn't be cheaper.

I really need a prototype as I'm absolutely not sure of my functionnal dimensions as I took them all with my caliper...

-And then I designed the barrel tonight; hard task; not only because of trying to get reliable measures with my little caliper, but above all to redesign the entire barrel measures, as the 3357 dimensions were scaled up from the 357 (and the Python I guess), but with variable scale ratio!

The barrel is almost complet, just need to design the insert fixation system with the barrel entry o-ring and general design will be done.

Now i'm sending a request for reliable mesurements for the most important of all; I mean:

-Barrel to cylinder among axis
-cylinder axis to valve port among axis

And a few other; will make a plan as I don't know how to name the other elements

Thanks!
wow..most excellent. may I ask what a metal cylinder costs? curious for several reasons. My .62cal crosman could use a few metal cylinders because the spacing between the balls in the cylinder is really thin..like some of the walls are almost see thru and this would prevent breakage and get a better seal I would assume.
Cant wait for your final results
4G010H3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Always lurking... Always

Send a message via AIM to applesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansteam View Post

MATERIAL! Wants some?

GET SOME!

http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/13/76/22/54/render10.jpg

So here is the project;

ever hear of the reprap project? there are those of us out there with homemade 3d printers. Mine is not yet functional, but i *think* a member here has one as well, try contacting haveblue (I think), i'm not sure what the member's tolerances are, but worth a shot, right?

Pops always used to say, "Better to be an a**hole than the whole a**".
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Well this is a dandy little project/idea. I have an old 357 that I would love to covert into a 3357. I'll definately be keeping an eye on this.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

Interesting project.
In my head I was thinking of just a front block that had threads for lets say autococker barrels. But this will stay true to the look as well as function, if it works.
I can measure parts on my 357 for placement and alignmnet of sertain key parts. I do not know about the 3357, but the 357 has a detent kind of thing that is springloaded, sitting infront of the valve. It pertrudes and makes contact and so so seals the gap between the cylinder and the valve as the cylinder revolves into place.
Could that be something to scale upp to fit a .68" cal paintball rather than a small airgun pellet?

Last edited by Ghostpilot; 11-06-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Spelling err.. ell... errh. error :-)
Ghostpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpilot View Post
Interesting project.
In my head I was thinking of just a front block that had threads for lets say autococker barrels.
But this will stay true to the look as well as function, if it worlks.
I can measure parts on me 357 for placement and alignmnet of setain key parts.
I do not know wbout the 3357, but the 357 has a detent kind of thing that is springloaded, sitting infront of the valve. It pertrudes and makes contact and so so seals the gap between the cylinder and the valve as the cylinder revolves into place.
Could that be something to scale upp to fit a .68" cal paintball tather than a small airgun pellet?
Detent is correct, actually called the cylinder detent, and everything from the cylinder on back is the same between 357 and 3357 (in other words, the whole grip frame assembly, 3357 just has different barrel assembly and cylinder)

eBay 756+/0- Feedback
PBNation 164+/0- Feedback
M. Carter Brown 92+/0- Feedback
OVER 1000 ALL POSITIVE TRANSACTION FEEDBACK!
acrewofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

I noticed my error after I shut the computer down for the night last night. No need in revising my statement now, is it? :-)
Besides, my idea was for a cal .68 conversion, not a cal .50 conversion that this is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrewofone View Post
Detent is correct, actually called the cylinder detent, and everything from the cylinder on back is the same between 357 and 3357 (in other words, the whole grip frame assembly, 3357 just has different barrel assembly and cylinder)

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions