mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Team build off sounds excellent!!!!!!

I may not be able to have my team up and running until early next year, but I think we could put some cool stuff together.

Just waiting on a few things and then I can have a shop together...of course the few things I'm waiting on are taking much more time than initially anticipated... but good things come to those who wait!

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Okay, for the quarterly projects Im definitly thinking my first lin up would work well. I think that we need to divide all future sit projects into two categories.

1. "Budget Builds" IE builds with a budget, like the current spyder project for example. The AKA build would also have a set budget. There is no set design for the budget guns. These builds usualy are set to one marker type and/or a set group of parts (Example the AKA build would start with an AKA blank, a Grip frame of choice, and a barrel of choice.) Other examples would be Autococker, Nelson, VM/PMI3, Tigershark, Talon. Ect.

2. "Design builds" IE builds with a set design. Examples would be the Kentucky rifle/flinlock/pirate pistol. Basicly this category sets a specific look for a gun, and/or specific reqirements (think custom stockclass build) There is no budget for design builds, that way we get a good diversity of projects.Design builds will tend to be scenerio guns by nature. Some other Examples for design builds would be a "Wild Wild West, Artimous Gordon" Gun ( this would not be limited to ROF/magizing capacity, just looks), WWII gun, Space Gun, Frankinstine Gun (looks like a hodgpodge of parts) Double barrel gun, Breach break gun, Sgt spatter Auto-Lot-O-balls +gun. Ect.

And I am in big favor of doing the Kentuck rifle/flintlock/ pirate pistol next ( I should note that you could build one or all three for this project, however flintlock and pirate pistol are more or less the same)
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

OH and we need Certificates for the winning gun(s). They are cheap (cost of ink and paper) and mailable. Plus they would look darn neat hanging under the gun.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ray
OH and we need Certificates for the winning gun(s). They are cheap (cost of ink and paper) and mailable. Plus they would look darn neat hanging under the gun.

Another good "freebie" is to change the user title in the fourm software... on UMS we have the "Modder of the Month" title for the monthly contest winner along with a few other small prizes.

I'm sure also that a few of us would be willing to donate some items as well to help make it interesting. Feel free to contact me via PM etc if you decide to go that route.
Flatline's Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Z50
Seasoned Member

Four may be a bit too many, a lot of us *cough cough* have projects of our own on the side and it may be easier and get a better turnout if there are fewer projects. Between actually playing, working, and sleeping some time to recover between projects would be for the better. I am thinking two or three a year. It would be nice to have more notice then one or two months too; set a schedule of what the build off is going to be 6 months or so in advance so we can start hording parts and generating ideas.

Also, this is a learning experience for all of us but we need to have clear stickied threads to set the rules and a separate forum section for individual efforts to be posted in (each person starts their own thread to signify that they are participating and updates it as much as they choose. The custom forum is cool but will get difficult to navigate to keep up with each persons gun. When the project is set to end, all threads can be locked, a vote held based on what has been posted, the threads opened for any final updates, then the whole mess archived for future reference.

Finally, there is no reason to limit these projects to guns. It would be neat to have a build off for making something else like who can make the best stock class harness or pod system.

If this takes off, it will be an actual “Tinkers’ Guild” not a “Doc Nickel Bash-a-Thon”
Z50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Okay, 3 months for a project might be to little time, so lets do 3 a year. That would mean the following schedule:

Month 1- Rules are posted, parts are gathered designs laid out ect.
Month 2 and 3- Build time, end of month 3 is the "end of the build" however entries would be accepted until the 20th of month 4.
Month 4- Finish up build (if not allready done) Post pictures/threads. Decide upon winners.

Thats 30ish days to plan, 80ish days to build, and 70ish days to post. Not what I would call a pressing schedule. I hope to have 7-20 people participating in each build. Not everyone will participate all the time obviously. The point is to get people involved and to show people what can be done from mild to wild. Four projects might be too many, But I feel one or two, is too few.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

This sounds awesome. What would also be cool is there would be a free class and an entry class where there is a 10 dollar or so entry fee. Then with the money from the entries, pool it and buy a cool prize. The only downside is that you'd need to have an ampil amount of people for it to work. Teams would be fun too; a definate plus, except for those of us who can't neccisarily get everywhere *cough cough ME! unless there are people close by that I don't know about.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_stud
Teams would be fun too; a definate plus, except for those of us who can't neccisarily get everywhere *cough cough ME! unless there are people close by that I don't know about.
You do not really have to be near people to be on their team. After all postage is cheaper than gas these days. I think it would be cool to be partners with someone you never met in person.

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds-Albert Einstein

Support your local fields. The game you save may ne your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

I am going to direct this one to whoever decides what we will be building, will there be a cocker build??? If so, i will hold off purchasing a cocker and just build one for the build-off.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
How bout a Spimmy Project only one catch can not use any body actually produced by Kingman...I.E. No Ravens,Spyders,JT excellerators or Java's. The more off the wall clone the better. VM,Bruiser,A pistol or PGP body. Make it interesting. See who can make the best Brass Eagle spimmy or Tiewan/china special spimmy. The more off the wall or self made custum the better.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions