mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibbo View Post
yeah. I was just thinking that if it was more like a sheridan you'd want the bolt to go forward to push the ball up to the transfer hole like the forward pump stroke does in a sheridan. depending on the force of the string you could break the ball, but that's something you could pretty easy figure out.
The trick question is, will the acceleration rate of the bolt getting up to 300fps break the ball? And what do we need to do to stop that?
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ask me about my

what about using a spring to slow down the bolt?
Designer of the first legit looking ego pump, the EgoP!
BUY IT HERE!!

Tinkerer/ Pump lover
Team Akkadian Paintball Squad
OK D-Day '09 - German 716th IR
FEAR THE TREES!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1067010
Skibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

I made a direct acting system using a youth recurve once. Nowhere near full velocity, but an interesting exercise. If a slingshot doesn't destroy paint, a bow type should be fine. Eliminate all gap between bolt face and ball for starters. Foamie on steroids will be pretty crucial too.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Your Favorite Minecrafter

If there's anyone who can make a bolt and power tube w/ detents for this, I'll pay whatever nessessary for it!
THE PAINTBALL NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

It would be interesting to preserve the piston design of the airow gun, but feed the air into a spool valve that would hold the air back until it reaches a certain pressure, at which point it would vent its contents into a bolt and barrel. Instead of the super long dwell at low pressure like the airow gun, it would be more like a paintball gun shot. Kind of like a L7 bolt in a Mag.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
It would be interesting to preserve the piston design of the airow gun, but feed the air into a spool valve that would hold the air back until it reaches a certain pressure, at which point it would vent its contents into a bolt and barrel. Instead of the super long dwell at low pressure like the airow gun, it would be more like a paintball gun shot. Kind of like a L7 bolt in a Mag.

Hmm... Mag parts... Actually might be a good way to go.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Since you aren't dealing with the Automag on/off, rail and body tolerances wouldn't be a huge issue.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

What about those little pistol crossbows? If you attach a plunger to the string to act as a piston to compress air into a tube, which in turn gets released to fire a ball? It would make it so it isn't so much like dry firing because you would have resistance as the tube is pressurized. Does this make sense?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mind Detonator

yea Russ that's sorta what I had in mind... along with twin pistons to convert the crossbow firing energy into air pressure, which are operated by a sled on a guide rail which the string goes through. the sled would also operate the action at the end of its travel with a disconnected action. the main challenge really, is where the breech is located, and how much barrel length can fit in nicely. I think a regulated/valved firing chamber could be set back from the pistons and then have the breech behind and above/beside that.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 02-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

The following is not trying to piss in cheerios and if you can do this I would probably pay for one but....

This same idea occurred to me about a year or so ago
a few problems with just directly mounting the airow system to a crossbow
60# draw at 29" is the "recommended" for a compound bow to get you 250-300fps Paint speed
translate this if I remember the math I was trying to do last year
your looking at around 150# / 14" or so
as mentioned and a few not
draw length vs power stroke being the main area of concern
total length of the setup being another imo
add in
SPEED/ENERGY
POWER STROKE
DRAW WEIGHT
NOISE - while quieter than say any percussion firearm for the most part they still make noise and distinctive noise at that more so than any compound bow

DRAWING THE BOW - in order to get enough pressure in the system to get you 250-280FPS paint your talking a non fun time hand (neck actually but meh) pulling the string or a crank system

SIZE - look at the length of the airow system on a compound bow that would be attached 4-6" from the tip of the crossbow

MASS WEIGHT - lugging a crossbow loaded with just a bolt (with maybe an attached quiver with a few spares) through the woods/into the mountains after a few hours is a PITA - thank god for ATVs anyways - imagine the extra length and weight attached all at one end mind you to make sure your paint system doesnt go flying after the paintball

Not to remention but firing a "basically unloaded" crossbow(although the inverse pressure built up through the airow system should prevent this I never bothered to test it or run the math due to all the other "factors") can cause catastrophic failure of your stock, arms & string. You basically have a really fast moving cable with metal attached unraveling in your hands and expelling all its stored energy in less than a second right about head height where your standing which imo is not a good idea

You might at well stick a pump/MAG in a stock and set it up for FS rounds
unfortunately you need an air source but if your using it limited capacity get a dual 12g changer or fill from a source bottle into an 8ci onstock just a thought.
should be just as quiet if not more so than a firing crossbow
lighter
more useful
able to use regular .68
now just figure out how to Qload FS rounds
just a thought or .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.

Last edited by EL17E 76; 02-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions