mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #481 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Hmm a suitable studio might just be the problem. I know a couple people with small ones that are great for recording but are nothing more than acoustically reinforced closets. We might have to rent a space large enough to give paint some airtime.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #482 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

I have a buddy who is an acoustics engineer in a research lab.

He likes cool projects, I will ask him about setting up an accurate test.
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #483 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Sweet, doc! That's what I'm saying. Somebody on here must have or know someone with these resources.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #484 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
A suitable studio and a suitable testing procedure. It would be nice if this could be an ongoing FWB type thing. No homo.

I don't want to say that it's arbitrary... But my involvement honestly is.

In the past, I've been very careful to not make any specific claims about my designs so far. This is actually tiring because I'm excited about the the project! You don't have to look far back in this thread to a single instance of just implying a claim, getting called out on it, inviting a direct attack to my professionalism, my integrity, and the raw value that I bring to the community.

That sucks... I don't get a lot of reward for sticking my neck out too far around here. So third party testing is number one on my list before I'm spending a ton to move forward.

Please note that I don't speak for Ty or his involvement. This type of project literally takes mega-hours and big dollars. If you look back in this thread, or could see our emails... He's a huge contributor and deserves the acknowledgement.
Thank you for the props

This has been a joint effort, involving more than just Alpha and I. Unfortunately, my swiss cheesed brain won't tell me who... But if you read back through the thread, you can figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post

Freaking AWESOME!

Having done some serious testing, I might suggest that using an Eigen barrel as the core might be the best solution. 8" of control bore and loads of small diameter porting make it very quiet. If you throw an old Taso cover over it, it makes a DM almost silent. You can actually hear the bolt sliding in the bore!

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #485 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post

That would be awesome, I don't think I know Any lab types, just entertainment industry sound engineers. They have the expertise, just not the space. I did work at a recording studio for a bit but I doubt we would be trying to rent something for this project.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #486 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

I just talked with my buddy.
He will need a weeks notice to get the stuff allocated

We are going to test outdoors under field conditions and indoors in my basement.
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #487 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
So I know that it's been around two and a half months since anyone posted in this, but what with renewed updates on the Typhoon thread, I wanted to ask something, and not clutter up Alpha's sale thread. Sorry if I am naive about this.

Specifically with the Typhoon raincover, it is basically matched to the Inception back. Would it be worthwhile to use a smaller insert in the Inception to get the better efficiency that underboring delivers, while still using this raincover? Or would it be better to use a larger bore, so overboring, to get the most out of the sound deadening qualities?
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #488 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
I've never compared the two. But I've been going with "less air is better". The Typhoon r3 is .690 diameter.

I've been using them with a .679 insert on the theory that better FPS efficiency means that I can drop the pressure to get the same speed. Which means that there's less air to divert away.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions