mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Raincovers

Do raincovers really work? Does anyone on here make/sell raincovers?I'd be interested in one if it actually made a noticeable difference.
CustomCockers
eBay
MTGS
Robbie_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

you mean silencer? yes, they work, but results will vary based on the marker you're putting it on. makes a big difference on my sl68-II, but i don't have a ported barrel to compare it to. on a pro-lite or similar blowback, not much different than a well-ported barrel (marker itself makes a lot of noise).

they're relatively simple to make. someone machined a really nice one here not too long ago. i don't think you'll get people to sell them though; you can't do that anymore (changed the law; they used to be legal in the 90's). i'm sure other people will chime in on legalities, or just google it yourself (or search forum; it comes up now and then).
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Present

CCM Fan
Yes, they do work. I'm hoping to get some actual numbers on how well they work, but I never have air to test my marker at home with so that has yet to happen. Super stanchy made mine, but I really doubt that he'll want to make another(long story). I know Titus on the boards here used to sell a recreation of the TASO raincovers, not sure if he still does. Those would be your cheapest option.

If you are what you eat, then isn't cannibalism the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
barrels are like women - everyone likes them for their subtle differences and personal preferences. ALthough at this price, they cost substantially less than women.

(caution: barrels are not like women, do NOT insert your p3nis into a barrel)
ComradeBenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely makes a difference. I have an original Taso one. I always use mine to test my markers in our apartment, so it doesn't annoy the neighbors too much.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I own real steel and don't push my luck but you can pick up one of the old Taso units fairly easily. A machined aluminum unit makes me sweat, I wouldn't touch it.

The laws on such things are scary, according to the men in black suits theres basically no difference between paintball unit and one for steel in this discussion. If you have $200 extra to spend and patience to wait for paperwork it can be done. I seem to recall that there is a clause in there for airguns and paintball guns that if its integrated and cannot be removed with out destroying it then it can be done legally. Look at the Gamo Whisper series and many PCP air rifles. Soldering a can on to a Sheridan should be legal but a removable barrel(ie cocker or spyder) with it built on is not, or so I have read. From what I have seen there is little threat of trouble since I know of no one thats been removed from the general population for it but tread lightly because it is possible.

I have plans for integrating a CF tube over an auto mag that encompasses the body and barrel and as a system it works but its impossible to use as parts.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
The latest case law states specifically that having an airgun silencer doesn't constitute intending to use it to silence a firearm... This was a case won on appeal where a convicted felon had shipped a silenced, large caliber airgun across state lines. He's a free man.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

happen to know the case # and what state?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Federal case.

United States of America v. Crooker

United States of America v. Crooker
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I used to use them on all my guns. Generally, the do diminish the sound. But the problem with paintball is that the caliber is large (relative to firearms), and the ranges in paintball are fairly small.

And typically the style you see in paintball is the expansion-type (ie green scrubbies, etc). They make no attempt to cancel the sound wave using elliptical baffles. So, the intead result is you can still hear them....

A silenced poppet gun is similar to an unsilenced spool valve, etc. Legally they are allowed, but its a grey area. You can see in the link above that someone was given a -20- year prison sentance for building an airgun silencer. It was won on appeal, but its still pretty scary. I also own lots of firearms, and I do not want to -ever- give the ATF a reason to deny me of my rights.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Alpha... Sometimes I just love you

Thanks for the information. I will need to include it with any future raincover builds.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions