mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Freak Boring Measurements

I don't have a freak insert atm so I was wondering if anyone familiar with freak boring could give me the measurements to see if my father could do it.

If I'm correct the Length is 5.063" but I'd like to know the width of the diameter that you would bore out, is it .750"? Or do freak insert sizes vary? So I'd have to just buy an insert before boring my A1 Fly barrel back?

Thanks

PeaTear_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

yea those dimensions are basically bang on. .750" reamed bore is good for freak inserts.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I'm pretty sure the OD on freak inserts is about .741 depending on the insert (there tolerances/finish aren't great) You cannot bore that deep precisly ithout deflection, I think everyon that does freak boreing uses a custom reamer. I've looked into it before and came to the conclusion theres no point in getting a reamer made unless you plan of doing it for other like SSC etc, its the same deal with making your own inserts.

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Yep a tighter custom reamer will do it better, but you can still get away with using standard size if you want to save a few bucks.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
A .750 hole ends up sloppy as hell for freakserts.

I don't know how the stanch does it. But for my own stuff, I bore it to depth .742-.743 all the way down.

The OD on freak inserts is very consistent. It's the ID that's problematic... What did RCjunky say. It's hard to bore that deep without deflection? Well; it does at least take a pro.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I bore less than the full length of the insert - so that there is pressure on the insert against the bore of the gun. around 5.035 or so.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
The OD on freak inserts is very consistent.
What magical inserts do you have that have a consistent OD? Stainless?
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
All of them that I've inspected (hundreds) have been within a few thou of .74... The consistency of the OD is several orders of magnitude better than the ID.

Your mileage may vary.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

No doubt on the ID. I have 5 .689s and none of them are the same size. I think if you had enough inserts you could probably put together an ultimate set in .0005 increments. I'm down to about 20 and would have to measure some again but I think your OD variance is about right. I think my smallest is about .740 and largest about .743 or .744. The variance makes a big difference on bored barrels which is why I'm not a huge fan. Some will just fall out and others you can't jam in. You have to go through a bunch of sets to find good ones to use in a bored barrel.

While the ID variance is a bit annoying, the OD variance (while sloppy) isn't really a flaw. The o-rings used in normal freak barrels handle this just fine.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
No doubt on the ID. I have 5 .689s and none of them are the same size. I think if you had enough inserts you could probably put together an ultimate set in .0005 increments. I'm down to about 20 and would have to measure some again but I think your OD variance is about right. I think my smallest is about .740 and largest about .743 or .744. The variance makes a big difference on bored barrels which is why I'm not a huge fan. Some will just fall out and others you can't jam in. You have to go through a bunch of sets to find good ones to use in a bored barrel.

While the ID variance is a bit annoying, the OD variance (while sloppy) isn't really a flaw. The o-rings used in normal freak barrels handle this just fine.
hmmm I'll think I'll pick up some .682, and .684 inserts and measure the sizes to check. Thanks for the tip.

PeaTear_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions