mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Inline (sorta) pump idea

Bear with me on this.
It may be a bit hard to understand, and I used gimp for the first time so it's a bit weird.

So I came up with this idea by looking at a cigarette lighter from a car.

This first picture describes what it will look like cocked.

The "T" is the bolt. The t-end caches on the sear, and is under spring tension.
When released the same t-end part will hit the valve like the hammer on a STBB and release air up into the bolt, as seen in image 2.
Basically, it's the bolt and hammer rolled into one object.

I believe that not much air will be escaping from this area, because the air is not coming out of the button on the valve. Even if it does, there will be o-ring seals.
It is going straight up into the bolt.
Bolt wear may be apparent in this design.

As you can see in both pictures, you can see a ring. This ring is the "pump", so to say. It's like the bolt sled that the bolt connects to on a Kaos Pump.
It is a circular ring that rests on the t-end of the bolt and when you push the pump back it will carry the bolt along, and when the bolt caches you will be able to bring the pump back forward because it is a piece that is not connected to the bolt. You can see in the second picture that the ring rests on the end of the bolt.
In the first, you can see it resting when it's cocked.

The end of the bolt will utilize the "ball cradle" design that the TechT Venturi bolts have, to have even air distribution.

I don't plan on doing this, mainly because I have no airsmithing knowledge and no CNC machine to mill anything like this. I have no funds as well.
But, I wanted to bring this up because I know that you guys are geniuses and want to see what your thoughts on this would be.

The point of this was to make a streamline, thin pump marker. If the system can be properly made, it could also possibly be a small system because of the nature of the entire object.
Something entirely different from STBB's, Snipers, and Nelsons all together.

And yes I do realize the inaccuracy in the drawings.
If you would like you could re-draw them to your understanding.

I am only 14 and my dream is to become an engineer for a big company, and this was my first "real" item idea that could be retailed.

Questions and Comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Panda's Revenge; 08-01-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Panda's Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

open bolt pump? why not just get a spyder and use an unslotted valve pin? it'd have the same effect.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
open bolt pump? why not just get a spyder and use an unslotted valve pin? it'd have the same effect.

The point of this was to create something different.

Last edited by Panda's Revenge; 08-01-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda's Revenge View Post
The point of this was to create something different.
i am aware of that. i'm saying it's actually not all that different from a spyder with its blowback turned off. it's doable, but it isn't likely to sell well so it would only be made for personal reasons. in fact if i had to make a gun like this i would start with buying a used spyder. people used to do this when they wanted a spyder pump but didn't have the tools to slot out its hammer.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
open bolt pump? .
I first thought of a Splatmaster when I saw the diagram. That (and the GS1000) was an open-bolt pump.

Granted, it didn't have a bolt, or a pump. And the term "open-bolt" refers to semi/full auto guns, not pumps. But the breech is open when the trigger is pulled, and the hammer and "bolt" are connected.

Still, I love seeing any new designs. There really hasnt been any innovation in paintball for 10 years. Highend guns from 10 years ago, would still be highend today.

So instead, the industry has to come up with new ways to trick us into buying stuff we don't need. (ie 50 caliber, milsim, "limited editions")

Anyway, a better platform then a spyder or tippmann might be an old Alleycat/puma. Of all the blowbacks, they were the smallest due to the unique valve, and the hammer/bolt was one piece.

Not much reason for it, though it would make the pump stroke slightly lighter since you are only pushing the bolt back, but not forward.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge

Last edited by HP_Lovecraft; 08-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.
HP_Lovecraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I first thought of a Splatmaster when I saw the diagram. That (and the GS1000) was an open-bolt pump.

Granted, it didn't have a bolt, or a pump. And the term "open-bolt" refers to semi/full auto guns, not pumps. But the breech is open when the trigger is pulled, and the hammer and "bolt" are connected.

Still, I love seeing any new designs. There really hasnt been any innovation in paintball for 10 years. Highend guns from 10 years ago, would still be highend today.

So instead, the industry has to come up with new ways to trick us into buying stuff we don't need. (ie 50 caliber, milsim, "limited editions")

Anyway, a better platform then a spyder or tippmann might be an old Alleycat/puma. Of all the blowbacks, they were the smallest due to the unique valve, and the hammer/bolt was one piece.

Not much reason for it, though it would make the pump stroke slightly lighter since you are only pushing the bolt back, but not forward.
Yeah I thought of this late at night and I'm usually dozing off... It seemed like a good idea then Never even heard of the Puma, although Alleycat seems to be familiar with me. I'll check it out.
Thank You for your input.

Also, I heard that the Proto PMR was a sear-tripper. How is this possible with an inline? I would like pictures or even a .gif describing it's motion, that could really help.

Last edited by Panda's Revenge; 08-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
i am aware of that. i'm saying it's actually not all that different from a spyder with its blowback turned off. it's doable, but it isn't likely to sell well so it would only be made for personal reasons. in fact if i had to make a gun like this i would start with buying a used spyder. people used to do this when they wanted a spyder pump but didn't have the tools to slot out its hammer.
Yes, for personal reasons. I don't see how this can be marketed, looking over it this morning. Nothing too different from anything else.
I only stated that it can be retailed, not that it should.

(A bit off topic but the camera video is hilarious)

Old 08-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

This is actually very similar to the ICD blowbacks. The problem with turning those guns into a pump is that the valve pins sit vertically in the gun, so without blowback gas you risk just holding the valve open. Switching the valve to a horizontal orientation while having some kind of striker hanging off the bolt/hammer would probably work. I don't think it would be easy to retrofit an ICD, though.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
This is actually very similar to the ICD blowbacks. The problem with turning those guns into a pump is that the valve pins sit vertically in the gun, so without blowback gas you risk just holding the valve open. Switching the valve to a horizontal orientation while having some kind of striker hanging off the bolt/hammer would probably work. I don't think it would be easy to retrofit an ICD, though.
I am only familiar with the electronic ICDs, but your theory seems plausible.
What I do not understand is how the pin is set up vertically.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

The pin or the hammer (can't remember which, or both) is angled so that it opens the valve as it slides past.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions