mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Autotriggerhappy. :)

CCM Fan
Np. The dark green is Caswell dye - Olive drab. I would love to do some parts for you, but i live in the netherlands, so shipping would make it way too expensive. There are quite a few MCB members that do anodising, so ask around if one of them has that dye or is willing to add it to their color portfolio.

The colors i have right now are:

Red Bordeaux (makes a very nice deep red)
Red (not Caswell and limited amount)
Green AEN (the light green)
Olive drab

I do have some black in powder form, but i have ordered concentrate from caswell europe, together with gold and blue. (probably will have them next week) My german supplier also has printing inks that can be applied like you mentioned, but i'm not sure yet if they are worth the investment. After i have a small assortment of colors my next priority is to get a buffing wheel, and a blasting cabinet... Consistent color is one thing, but it will look like crap if the finish isnt consistent aswell.
Yes! I love being in battle! I love the moment when my marker stops being a machine and becomes part of me! My blood boils and my mind goes all white! It's an incredible high! There's no time to think, only action!

FiXeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Excellent job! Subscribing
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Did another run yesterday...

Normally i don't want to do anodising runs during the workweek, but i got a blue freak tip from a paintballforum.nl member that he wanted red, and i had a part that i wanted to measure to check my layer thickness. Also been goofing around a bit with the edge barrel, the tip now has something that looks like a acidwash camo... (dripping dye on it)

The freak tip turned out really nice... Did a bit of polishing after stripping to keep the shine on it, a little brasso goes a long way!

Also at work i have checked dimensions on one part.. Measured it unanodised, and anodised. The layer thickness ended up to be 0,02mm or 0,8 mills. That comes awfully close to what i have calculated.
Yes! I love being in battle! I love the moment when my marker stops being a machine and becomes part of me! My blood boils and my mind goes all white! It's an incredible high! There's no time to think, only action!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Nice drip!

Have you noticed the feel of the raw polished parts vs. ano'ed? You can feel the heat insulation of the ano layer, like holding a (real) glass with something warm or cool in it.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

CCM Fan
To be honest, i just realised this because you said it... One thing i did notice is how sqeeky clean the parts are after anno. Next run will be a clutch and brake handle from a harley... Cast aluminum, hope it doesn't get too grey after anno...

Old 08-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #26 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Well the harley handles did not turn out that great... Yeah they anodised, but the result was just one smoking pile of poo. Stripped them, and returned them to the owner that i warned about this happening beforehand. It's up to him to polish them back to their former luster.

In the meanwhile i've made a fixture to anodise aluminum bottles:

Basicly an old Angel air/pure energy reg that i modified a bit.

And the result... Still doing the acid_wash_crappy_camo job since i don't have the right masking agent yet.. But the thread protector turned out nice, a nice matte olive drab. The pen light is from one of my co-workers and he basicly told me to go camo it... Well, the camo i'm doing so far is not sathisfactory, and he marks his tools with red paint... So red to black fade it is.... Also the black masks some marks very good. The Redz grenade asa was from a previous batch that went fubar... One of the parts lost contact and the result is an anodising layer that has too big poures... The color just didnt came on right.

Next project running are some stock 98 barrels from the local paintballfield:

Beaten and they have definatly seen better days... I'm going to anno them each in a different color, red, blue and gold. This will give the guys at the field some options for VIP games and such. Not sure if the field owner will like what i'm doing, since i snagged these off the field today, but after anodising he sure will not complain.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

i think that tank looks super cool man
stolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I concur that tank and barrel/back green looks really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolz View Post
i think that tank looks super cool man
Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Thank you, but i do feel that this could be done so much better. Maybe it's because i'm a CNC machinist, and somewhat of a perfectionist, the tank and barrel was just adding some dye to the surface with a brush, and it got all runny... I'm not sathisfied with the result... Looks ok, but somewhere it's lacking... Next week i'll try to get some masking media and see how that turnes out...

Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Well, been off MCB for a while... Busy as usual... But i did some anodising!

Not my marker, i've offered a lucky guy on a dutch paintball forum to anodise his gun for free (guiney pig) and it turned out rather good, but not perfect.

The guy sent the gun as a carte blance.... I could do whatever the heck i wanted to do with it, aslong it was not blue. In the PM discussion during the project he hinted he liked gold/black and red/black... Well, why not give him both? So i made the barrel tip a red to gold fade splash.

And a rounded off trigger + polish to finish this one up right.

This marker looks awesome... But there are still some inperfections i am not happy with... The guy received his marker today and is totally happy with the result... But still more to learn i have..

Need more guiney pigs... Those that pay, prefferably... :P

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions