mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Autotriggerhappy. :)

CCM Fan
One important tip, when you mix acid: add acid to water, never add water to acid!
Yes! I love being in battle! I love the moment when my marker stops being a machine and becomes part of me! My blood boils and my mind goes all white! It's an incredible high! There's no time to think, only action!

FiXeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Right :P My manual says that in bold lol
TFrevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Don't plan on storing left-over 98%; it can creep out of the container and isn't worth the hazard of keeping on the shelf. It is also hygroscopic, so if the lid is not perfectly sealed, water gets in and the volume increases and can overfill your container.

The cheapo battery testers can measure down to a density of about 1.100, which is about 18% ircc. That would get you into the ball park. You might be able to "titrate" by looking for bubbles while adding baking soda (hmm). It seems to be fairly flexible in the process, but when you have trouble it is nice to know for sure that your acid is right.
Right I was going to add both gallons to the 12 gallons of distilled water I have no intentions of storing that kinda stuff in the garage where my kids could decide it would be fun to pour it on my floor.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Autotriggerhappy. :)

CCM Fan
14 gallons total... that's quite a tank you have there... Not sure if you were aware of the acid adding to water thing, but it never hurts to mention it too often. Also seeing that you have kids, make sure you keep harmfull chemicals out of reach. (like sodium hydroxide pellets) Oh, and make them aware that your garage is no longer a playground.

If you might have a sulphuric acid spill, use some household soda to neutralise it. I got this tip from the guy at the local car battery shop.
Yes! I love being in battle! I love the moment when my marker stops being a machine and becomes part of me! My blood boils and my mind goes all white! It's an incredible high! There's no time to think, only action!

FiXeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

yea i bought the baking soda before the acid.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Don't plan on storing left-over 98%; it can creep out of the container and isn't worth the hazard of keeping on the shelf. It is also hygroscopic, so if the lid is not perfectly sealed, water gets in and the volume increases and can overfill your container.

The cheapo battery testers can measure down to a density of about 1.100, which is about 18% ircc. That would get you into the ball park. You might be able to "titrate" by looking for bubbles while adding baking soda (hmm). It seems to be fairly flexible in the process, but when you have trouble it is nice to know for sure that your acid is right.
Interesting definition you have of titrating you have there.

If you follow the second link I posted it will give you an exact number....very very handy to know.

As far as adding water to acid at the concentration and volume we work with it doesn't make a flying of a difference at the concentrations we work with, but its always better to be safe than...blind

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dynastypball...&_trksid=p3686
ADDING MORE SUPPLIES AS I CAN

NEED SOMETHING ANODIZED? CHECK ME OUT ON FACEBOOK!

http://www.facebook.com/CausticCustoms

Last edited by dynastypballa; 08-13-2012 at 04:58 PM.
dynastypballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastypballa View Post
Interesting definition you have of titrating you have there.

If you follow the first link I posted it will give you an exact number....very very handy to know.

As far as adding water to acid at the concentration and volume we work with it doesn't make a flying of a difference at the concentrations we work with, but its always better to be safe than...blind
Heh, the baking soda thing was just a thought, but I might have to test it out. I have my reloading scale not far away.

The 37% battery acid isn't bad about heating up, but don't screw with the 98%. That's definite A&W (acid to water) territory. The working bath (~15%) is completely tolerant. I rinse in to it with a spray bottle every time. I've done partial replacements, adding water, and couldn't measure the temperature rise.

98% is its own animal though. Even with industrial valves (materials), you separate the dilute sulfuric duty from the concentrated duty because they behave differently.

I'll have to join that yahoo group to see the link.

Last edited by Spider!; 08-13-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Argh...I fix i fix

Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastypballa View Post
Argh...I fix i fix
Much easier, thanks.

Where do you get your indicators? Pool store? I haven't bought any interesting chemicals in a long time. I used to be able to buy them at the mall.

I still have some decent glassware though.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ebay...you will be surprised what you can buy from ebay.

Get the powder form of the methyl orange though. I bough a little 5ml bottle and paid 15 bucks for premixed

You can buy 50 grams for the same price in powder form and make gallons of the stuff if you have a scale.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions