mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   well bought the annodizing kit (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/210695-well-bought-annodizing-kit.html)

TFrevold 08-11-2012 08:06 PM

well bought the annodizing kit

Just need to go get some sulfuric acid and ill be ready to rock. Anyone done this before got some pointers or anything?

Spider! 08-11-2012 08:17 PM

Like FiXel said, clean and clean again. Ano strip smut is hard to get off. After you put the hanger on the part, clean your finger prints off (if you didn't use gloves) and etch them together, only handling the part by the hanger there after.

The Caswell LCD manual is pretty good. Did you get the power supply with the kit?

TFrevold 08-11-2012 08:29 PM

I went with moonlights kit so I got the VS-35m astron. Kinda confused by it messin around Amps wont go over 2

boltaction 08-11-2012 10:20 PM

I've had moonlights website marked as a fav for months now because annodizing is something I could see myself getting into. I'll be watching this thread to see how it works for you. Please keep us updated.

Spider! 08-12-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFrevold (Post 2441120)
I went with moonlights kit so I got the VS-35m astron. Kinda confused by it messin around Amps wont go over 2

Be sure of your electrical connections. The acid concentration can vary a good bit, Idk what that kit likes to use.

If your acid bath is new and/or your parts/cathode-plate is small, the voltage required can be over 15 volts, which looks like the limit of the VS-35m. After your tank breaks in and gets some amount of aluminum floating around (invisible) the voltage goes down (and the supply can provide more current).

This messed me up for a while. A brand new tank would work great with a 13 volt power supply and a few parts, but the more I used it, the worse my results would be. When I stuck a current supply on my old tank, it worked great, but averaged 12 volts or lower for the single parts I was working on, depending on the current density of course.

TFrevold 08-12-2012 11:42 AM

My Uncle had a big *** Drum of sulfuric acid in the back of his shop. Im not sure of the concentration but he said I could have as much as I want. any way to tell how much the concentration is when I mix it with the distilled water?

FiXeL 08-12-2012 12:14 PM

You have to know the concentration, otherwise you cannot dilute to the proper concentration. A shop that sells car batteries should have the proper equipment to measure the concentration, but i'm not sure if they are willing to test pure sulphuric acid. (if that's what your uncle has in the back of his shop)

I'd just get battery acid, that's 37% sulfurlic acid and work from there. The caswell LCD process uses low concentrations, but i'm running at 15% acid now and going great.

As for containers (like you mentioned in the PM) get PP, PE, or PVC containers.

As to cleaning, you really have to be absolutely thorough, any smut on there will show. Between baths, rinse thorough... I have two rinse baths, one dirty, one clean... Stripping aluminum will also get old dye in your rinse bath, same goes for degreasing and after anno... Your rinse baths need to be replaced once in a while with fresh distilled water. Also get a spray bottle, that really works great cleaning the parts between the bath, and rinsing bath. Also a trick i picked up from YT: After degrease, spray some demi water on the degreased part... If it's not properly degreased, it will show.

TFrevold 08-12-2012 05:33 PM

My intentions prior to the offer of free sulfuric acid was to buy 2 gallons of 98% and mix it with 12 gallons of distilled water. that would give me about a 16% mixture

dynastypballa 08-12-2012 10:07 PM

anodizing101 : Anodizing101

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kFEoUDX...%20control.pdf

Titration is a good way to accurately determine concentration.

That first link is something you should really dig through. Lots of good information and a little not so good. There is enough miss information about anodizing to drown a whale.

Spider! 08-13-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFrevold (Post 2441821)
My intentions prior to the offer of free sulfuric acid was to buy 2 gallons of 98% and mix it with 12 gallons of distilled water. that would give me about a 16% mixture

Don't plan on storing left-over 98%; it can creep out of the container and isn't worth the hazard of keeping on the shelf. It is also hygroscopic, so if the lid is not perfectly sealed, water gets in and the volume increases and can overfill your container.

The cheapo battery testers can measure down to a density of about 1.100, which is about 18% ircc. That would get you into the ball park. You might be able to "titrate" by looking for bubbles while adding baking soda (hmm). It seems to be fairly flexible in the process, but when you have trouble it is nice to know for sure that your acid is right.