mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
Not Banned Kerry

AKA Fan
So the way that I understand this -just so we're both clear- is that you can currently produce 9" inserts in 670, 678 and 685? If that's the case then that's really all I need, I'd be happy with just a 678 and a 670, or at least just for until you can produce the whole range.

That being said, is there anyone else that would buy the 9" freak inception at 75$? I need 9 people othen than myself. I think it's a pretty solid deal, especially considering what you'd have to do to get another barrel bored to 9". If you are, please PM me so we dont fill up this thread with stuff that doesn't relate to buying the inserts. I just figured this would be the place to drum up interest.

Thanks again for your time Ty.

Black Chrome T8, CCM S5, Invert Mini I, Invert Mini II, Y-framed Minimag
Feedback.
Author of Useful Resources For Tiberius Owners.
Mr.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
ye olde bastid

Sorry to the original poster for this slight hijack....

I'd be interested in the 9" Inception barrel BUT do not see the need for 9" inserts (again, sorry to the original poster). I'd want the standard length freak boring on the 9" barrel so I can use my existing inserts. I have the current Inception barrel, but it is too short to use on a couple of markers I'd like to use it on. The longer barrel will solve this.

TheFeedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TheYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #43 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
What are the dimensions and tolerances needed? I can look into getting it done.
Without sounding more thick than usual... What are we talking about sourcing? There are some dimensions I will happily give out and others that cost me so much, I will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
So the way that I understand this -just so we're both clear- is that you can currently produce 9" inserts in 670, 678 and 685? If that's the case then that's really all I need, I'd be happy with just a 678 and a 670, or at least just for until you can produce the whole range.

That being said, is there anyone else that would buy the 9" freak inception at 75$? I need 9 people othen than myself. I think it's a pretty solid deal, especially considering what you'd have to do to get another barrel bored to 9". If you are, please PM me so we dont fill up this thread with stuff that doesn't relate to buying the inserts. I just figured this would be the place to drum up interest.

Thanks again for your time Ty.
The above statement is correct. I can produce .670, .678 and .685, 9" long inserts with my current setup. All of the other inbetween sizes would not be available until I build a new machine

There will be a slight delay on the .670, as it seems I am out of that stock. Seems the stock marked .670 is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoda View Post
Sorry to the original poster for this slight hijack....

I'd be interested in the 9" Inception barrel BUT do not see the need for 9" inserts (again, sorry to the original poster). I'd want the standard length freak boring on the 9" barrel so I can use my existing inserts. I have the current Inception barrel, but it is too short to use on a couple of markers I'd like to use it on. The longer barrel will solve this.
Now about making an aluminum/brass spacer to take up the remaining 3.9375" inches of the 9" back to allow for the use of normal freak inserts, or remove the spacer and use 9" inserts?

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Not Banned Kerry

AKA Fan
Would that spacer align properly?

Black Chrome T8, CCM S5, Invert Mini I, Invert Mini II, Y-framed Minimag
Feedback.
Author of Useful Resources For Tiberius Owners.
Mr.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
If it were made to fit properly, I suspect it would work.

I would made the OD around .742 and the ID around .695 or so. Of course, you could cut down one of those usless .695 Freak inserts and use that.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
I must custom resize the ID then cut the OD to the correct diameter. The resize process can create defective parts, so there is wasted material

The issue is the amount of force and the travel involved to make 9" inserts. As of right now, my machine maxes out at 5.5".

I could create .670, .678 and .685 inserts fairly rapidly, as that is material ID I stock. All other sizes are custom created.

Ty
so are you stretching them open with sime sort of hydraulic ram? Or i saw tubas being created on how stuffs made and they were using hydraulic fluid to force ball bearings through a tube to get the correct id.
weekendballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Those are all moethods I tried. I am still considering making a hydro forming machine so I can do some interesting things with barrels.

But, alas, this is not the exact process I use. There is considerable force involved... Something on the order of 3 - 5 tons of pressure, but my method is purely mechanical.

Of course I could probably do the same thing using hydraulics, if I had a hydraulic pump, space and the wish to deal with the increased PITA factor.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Hesperia,ca

Root draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Those are all moethods I tried. I am still considering making a hydro forming machine so I can do some interesting things with barrels.

But, alas, this is not the exact process I use. There is considerable force involved... Something on the order of 3 - 5 tons of pressure, but my method is purely mechanical.

Of course I could probably do the same thing using hydraulics, if I had a hydraulic pump, space and the wish to deal with the increased PITA factor.

Ty
Have you ever used a Cnc roto draw machine?
river031403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #49 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Seen video, but never have had the luck of using one in person...

Do you have access to one?

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Lol. You guys are sure good at prying.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions