mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   9" Long Brass Freak-like Barrel Inserts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/211979-9-long-brass-freak-like-barrel-inserts.html)

ThickChestHair 08-26-2012 10:24 PM

9" Long Brass Freak-like Barrel Inserts

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get some of these made. They would be the same diameter as freak inserts, but 9" long for a longer control bore which I would use in a bored 1pc aluminium barrel. I talked to the guy who makes the brass direct freak replacements and says his machinery can only do 5.5" max. I would be looking to have 4-6 made depending on price (and yes I know they will be pricey).

tymcneer 08-26-2012 10:40 PM

I actually should have made the complete statement... They can be done, but the cost of changing the machinery would drive the price to around $60 each, which is outrageous. Plus, the number of "bad" units produced for each good unit would increase :( That really starts to cut into the return on investment.

The rest of that equation would be...

What barrel could be bored to support the system?

Who can do a 9" deep accurate bore at Freak diameter? (My current setup is maxed out at 6")

If you wish to invest around $1000, I can build a new machine and produce these. (Personally, I do not believe that you would ever be able to recoop the investment.)

Ty

ThickChestHair 08-26-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tymcneer (Post 2456184)
I actually should have made the complete statement... They can be done, but the cost of changing the machinery would drive the price to around $60 each, which is outrageous. Plus, the number of "bad" units produced for each good unit would increase :( That really starts to cut into the return on investment.

I would be willing to pay $60 an insert

The rest of that equation would be...

What barrel could be bored to support the system?

I would think that finding a barrel to support it would be fairly easy. Any 1pc barrel that has a large enough OD so it didn't get too weak, right? Basically how people bore barrels to accept freak inserts, but longer. Maybe I am missing something obvious...

Who can do a 9" deep accurate bore at Freak diameter? (My current setup is maxed out at 6")

That I don't know. I do not know machining that well. I would have guessed that if you can bore a 9" insert, you could bore a 9" barrel.

If you wish to invest around $1000, I can build a new machine and produce these. (Personally, I do not believe that you would ever be able to recoop the investment.)

Why $1000 now? I thought it would have been $60 an insert. I am confused

Ty

Thanks for the reply Ty, answers are in italics in the quote

tymcneer 08-26-2012 11:08 PM

The "barrel to support the system" means who would be manufacturing the barrels. I do not bore freak inserts, so I can not bore barrels 9" deep. There is a possibility that tjd10684 might be able to, but you would need to ask him.

I am currently shopping around for the necessary parts to build a new machine. The main piece is looking to be around $1250! Then there are all of the support pieces I would need to make or purchase. This would not be a cheap investment... Plus I would need to locate more shop space... My walk in closet of a shop is full.

Ty

ThickChestHair 08-26-2012 11:59 PM

I will take this to PMs with you for details on the process, thanks!

If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free! This discussion isn't over!

super_stanchy 08-27-2012 04:54 PM

i max out on 6.25 depth....

even that is sketch....

tymcneer 08-27-2012 05:17 PM

SS, I kinda figured you'd have a similar set of specifications on your setup as I do on mine.

I have a longer bar, but the flex would become too bad.

Ty

rcjunky 08-28-2012 12:02 AM

I know someone in the states that might be able to do this, heck, possibly even full length barrels at the bore size of your choice (hmmm, a .670 14" barrel...) I'll fire off an email and try letting you know.

rcjunky 08-28-2012 10:39 AM

The guy I kinda know can do it. They can bore up to 15" deep in house, so entire barrels is totally possible. The tighter the tolerances, the higher the price, but they could do it in the .0001" range if needed (overkill for us) I know you mensioned 9" long inserts, is that the number you still want? If you send him a barrel I think he could also freak bore it that deep. I have no idea on cost, but I'll ask once you know what you want done.

D3adpool 08-28-2012 10:48 AM

RC,

Any chance that you can give us a name? Details of his shop etc.?