mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Taking the feed neck off pmi trracer? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/213269-taking-feed-neck-off-pmi-trracer.html)

Cannon Fodder 09-11-2012 05:55 PM

Taking the feed neck off pmi trracer?

Want to convert the a central hole in the top of the body, first thing is to get the old feed neck off completely. I believe they are welded on so in a vice and smack with hammer? Or tap with hammer? Can't mill, ain't got one ( hell I'm going to have to borrow the vice!). Then have at it with a dremel?

tymcneer 09-11-2012 07:23 PM

I would suggest cutting any visible weld, before laying on with the hammer. Less likelyhood of distorting the body in the feedneck removal process.

Remember the body is aluminium.

Are you planning to patch the original hole, or simply dremel in a new one?

Ty

Flint 09-11-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 2471625)
Want to convert the a central hole in the top of the body, first thing is to get the old feed neck off completely. I believe they are welded on so in a vice and smack with hammer? Or tap with hammer? Can't mill, ain't got one ( hell I'm going to have to borrow the vice!). Then have at it with a dremel?

Try seeing if its the threaded feed neck body first, out of four that i have, 3 have threaded, and one pressed in.

Majic Man 09-11-2012 10:14 PM

i cut mine off as close to the body as i could get with a hack saw and sanded the rest smooth from there
took 20 mins at most

just for the record that ^ was about paintball

bacci paintball 09-11-2012 10:51 PM

Mike, I think those bodies are threaded and loctited in. Try heating it on the stove or boiling and then attempting to unscrew the new.

If they are threaded there are likely three pieces, the neck, a cover that hides threads and covers the portion of the neck that meets the body and then the body itself.

Worst case scenario, you cant break the loctite and do end up cutting them off.
-Dan

neftaly 09-12-2012 12:24 AM

All of mine have been threaded & loctited, a little bit of heat and they came right out. Make sure you take the bolt out first as the feedneck goes half-way into the body and won't turn with it in the way.

Cannon Fodder 09-12-2012 03:53 AM

Thanks all, plan is to extend the hole to the top of the body then patch it.

Cannon Fodder 09-12-2012 06:58 AM

okay I've had a rethink, the overall aim here is to be able to mount two bodies side by side to try and create a nasty trracer.

I've a disgustingly ugly solution for the trigger group of placing two existing trigger groups unmolested side by side with a gap to account for the extra width of the bodies, then attach a trigger by getting a longer trigger pin to go all the way through the two existing triggers and through the new trigger in the middle. a bar attached to this new trigger to pull the two existing ones. I aim to mount a grip between the blocks that the old grips attach to to hold it all together and give the correct spacing between the frames.

I'll get more use out if it open class so any ideas on converting from right feed to left for one of the bodies?

Cannon Fodder 09-12-2012 04:36 PM

Next question - how long to boil the body for, minutes or hours?

-=ArchAngel=- 09-12-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 2472680)
Next question - how long to boil the body for, minutes or hours?

Definitely not hours LOL :ROTFL:
Just throw it in for a minute or so, take it out n try it. If it doesnt work, throw it back in for a bit longer. Its not really an exact science but it really shouldnt take too long. U just needa heat it up till the loctite loosens up.
Never tried it, but a hot hair dryer might work too.