mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Project Spyder! Gimme some ideas! (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/215574-project-spyder-gimme-some-ideas.html)

aresfiend 10-09-2012 12:13 AM

Project Spyder! Gimme some ideas!

So... I've only got one really project marker under my belt and it's this (not so) beauty:
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/...nd/cutdown.jpg

My goal was to lighten it up as much as possible I did a few more things that didn't get pictured like shaving down the frame and the body more along with a lighter ASA and a smaller gas thru foregrip. It was my little backyard shooter but as soon as I got my license I sold it for a tank of gas.

Now, I've got one of these that I picked off of a friend for $10 with project marker being in mind. I pulled the beavertail and when toying around with it popped the safety out, but it's still the same gun. My goal here is to make it cool and unique while making some performance upgrades in the process. So far, I've only got a few things in mind:

Cut a slot to make it top cocking
Put on an offset to dovetail adapter
Cut a new trigger/modify the current one to take the same shape as a Dye hinge frame trigger
Modify the frame to have the gap behind the trigger (As it is, it's awkward to hold)
Throw on Dye sticky 3s
Get the feedneck in a lathe to ridge to be compatible with Ego feednecks
Throw on a regulator (Obviously recut the spring)
And do some other body work to make it look pretty sweet

Now obviously, I'm not just here to say what I want to do and leave, I want some more ideas. This marker has to entertain me until January 6th when I drive for 2 hours to go and play at an indoor field and so far it just seems like a couple weeks at most.

Now, one thing to keep in mind, at the moment I've only got a Dremel and I'm HOPING to get a press stand for it, so I'm pretty limited until we get our garage built and get our mill set up.

MIballer 10-14-2012 07:57 AM

Spocker it or make it into a dragunfly e spocker

also it cannot take an ego feed neck the walls are too thin on the adapter you can get a t-lock for pretty cheap.

Grendal50 10-14-2012 01:44 PM

Halfback low-pressure pump. Or bolt action

MIballer 10-15-2012 06:58 AM

^ Boltaction spump

aresfiend 10-15-2012 01:22 PM

I should have stated the goal of this.

I want it to be a mechanical semi, something that I can use to keep from totally decimating rentals and then hand off to my brother when he wants to play without worry of him twisting it or falling in water and breaking it.

Grendal50 10-15-2012 01:33 PM

So, half back, low pressure, trigger job.

MIballer 10-16-2012 07:20 AM

Basic Lp Spyder Mod - YouTube Thats a Video for an LP mod I did

MagnaPort Valve Mod - YouTube Thats a Video for howto MagnaPort a valve.

Lightweight Striker Mod - YouTube A video for a lightweight striker mod

How to make a backspin bolt. - YouTube For a lowblow/Backspin bolt mod

aresfiend 10-17-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIballer (Post 2506146)
Basic Lp Spyder Mod - YouTube Thats a Video for an LP mod I did

MagnaPort Valve Mod - YouTube Thats a Video for howto MagnaPort a valve.

Lightweight Striker Mod - YouTube A video for a lightweight striker mod

How to make a backspin bolt. - YouTube For a lowblow/Backspin bolt mod

I've already done the low pressure mod (Something I did LONG before I actually owned the marker, did it for the friend I picked it off of) the only thing different is that I'm going to throw a reg on here.

I've actually got a magnovalve ready to go that I'm pulling out of a scrap Spyder one.

If my lightweight striker I made for my Piranha fits (I made 2 lightweights and botched a third) I'll just use that instead, otherwise I'll be making a new one. I did find it much easier to do with a 3 axis mill than I did with a dremel.

I've never actually thought of doing a backspin mod of the bolt, although I've got an aluminum bolt. What I think I'm going to do is also put in one of those 60% plugs from the Alien sweep bolt to really emphasize on the bottom export.

aresfiend 10-21-2012 01:05 PM

So, I redid the frontblock and just took more internal material away to allow me to possibly put a gauge port. I finished the backspin mod on the bolt and took the long thing for rear cocking and I'm going to be bending it to make it a MUCH shorter rear cocking mechanism that will be ~3/4 in. long instead of ~2.5 inches. I've also started hacking away at the body.

I'm planning on modifying the sear so that it stays forward and just removing the spring that pulls it back allowing for mechanical full auto. Also, does anyone know where I could get my hands on an offset to standard or offset to dovetail adapter?

MIballer 10-21-2012 08:20 PM

Trinity makes them and be carefull anout F/A a spyder you have to be careful as the cycle very quickly like that. So you need to find a way to make it a reasonable speed.